Thread: FAT TIRE Bike........thoughts/experience requested........???? PLEASE

Default FAT TIRE Bike........thoughts/experience requested........???? PLEASE

Sooooo, tell me about FAT'TIRE bikes and their workability in Alaska. Your experience both good & bad.

Keeps me riding year round.

I got mine mainly as a backup for the ATV. It rides great on dedicated bicycle trails, the beach etc. However, the only real means of getting to my cabin via wheeled vehicle is the ATV trail. The ruts are deep and narrow enough that it is un-rideable on the bike, due the pedals being wider than the ruts. I tried year before last to ride to my cabin, but I was walking carrying it more than riding. In my neck of the woods, off trail is not really an option due to beetle kill spruce and swamps.

In the winter, they work very well on packed snowmachine trails, but again, off trail was a no-go.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks for the feed'back. Has anyone ever seen a Fat-Tire trailer.......??? Guess I should ask, does anyone make a Fat-Tire trailer.

Fat tire bikes are pretty versatile, but they aren't the solution for every situation. They are great on somewhat packed to fully packed snowmachine trails and foot trails in the winter. They can be really good for ATV trails in the summer, but as noted above, aren't the best if there are lots of ruts since you still need enough width for the pedals. I've used mine for moose hunting a few times and was able to get around a lot faster than if I was on foot through variable conditions. It was clearly the best solution for frozen, but not yet snow covered ATV/foot trails and worked really well with a few inches of fresh snow on top while it still would have been sketchy on skis and definitely not deep enough for a snowmachine.

Down in your area, they would be good for getting out on Resurrection Pass trail on the years when snowmachines are not allowed.

I have seen fat-tire trailers, essentially the same setup as the regular mountain bike trailers, but with wider wheels. They aren't as common and might be tricky to get ahold of one, but they are out there. If you are using it in the winter, I have seen people use the pull behind "chariot" kid carriers on skis as well, but that would depend on the type of terrain you are traveling over since they require more trail width.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Thanks for the feed'back. Has anyone ever seen a Fat-Tire trailer.......??? Guess I should ask, does anyone make a Fat-Tire trailer.
    http://surlybikes.com

I've been riding a Yamaha TW200 for several years now and love it. It is not the "fat tire" bike but the tires are much fatter than regular off-road tires. It is a great Southeast bike, loves shot-rock roads and will scoot along at 55 all day. Good low first gear and will get around 70 mpg all day. Jim

Tony at Backcountrybikes says I'll be getting a fat tire for my winter riding.
    My plan is to snowbird & not need to ride in ice & snow LOL

I plan on getting some studded tires for the mtb for winter rides

Though I might need a fat tire for riding in the desert sand

Am in the shopping process to get
    a better bike for road rides. Gotta be upright.