Thread: Starting An Alaska Career

Default Starting An Alaska Career

Can anyone on the forum give me some advice on a good career field to get into in Alaska?
    I am planning on moving to Alaska i have been wanting to move to the great land since i was a small child. I am in the process of saving money and plan on moving the summer of 2017. The only thing is i need work when i get there of course. So i am starting this thread for advice on what fields i should look into or if anyone knows anyone that could help me it would be appreciated.

Thank You

A&P mechanic.
    Tim

Firefighter!.....okay, bad joke. Seriously, Tim is right. A wise man once told me that the advice he gives everyone who isn't sure what they want to do in life is to go to A&P school. Even if you don't decide to work on airplanes, there's a large set of skills learned in that training that can help you get started in a variety of trades. There's an excellent one year A&P program here in Fairbanks http://www.ctc.uaf.edu/programs/amt/index.html....Louis
    Louis Knapp

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I saw in your other post that you're 18 y/o. I totally agree with the guys suggesting you find a trade, but getting a college education should also be high on your list. Working on your degree when you're 40+ years old, working full time and taking care of a family is not the way to go.

Construction foreman or electrician.

If you plan on going to school... engineering is the way to go.

If you don't plan on going to school... most employers here want to see a solid work history. Keep your current job until you move.

There are many unions here that will train you and pay you well at the same time.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I saw in your other post that you're 18 y/o. I totally agree with the guys suggesting you find a trade, but getting a college education should also be high on your list. Working on your degree when you're 40+ years old, working full time and taking care of a family is not the way to go.
    No doubt. And while there are many solid trades to work in Alaska, there are also many degree fields that will virtually guarantee work wherever you want to live. In addition to the suggestion of engineering, you'd also never be out of work with a nursing degree. There are also excellent education opportunities in the petroleum field to include shorter 1-2 year programs, education can be a solid way to be employed in much of the state, and more.

Be good at what you decide to do, show up everyday, work hard and do more than is expected.. You will be fine. I suggested welding on the other post. Nursing would be good as well.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Another good piece of advice for you is to save up and plan an Alaskan vacation before you move or plan a move.
    It happens all the time that people see Alaska as their Utopia and once they are here they quickly loose the fire they thought they had towards living here. Whether it is the winters cold or lack of daylight or other factors.
    That will also allow you to see what kinds of jobs are available here as well as price housing food etc.
    Coming from Arkansas you may be surprised what it costs to live here and knowing that will allow you to be more prepared.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Trades are generally good- particularly HVAC and electricians. Cold and dark generally supply the demand.

Degree fields such as engineering and nursing tend to be perennial winners as well.

Most important will be a good work ethic and dependability. Hard skills (your education or training) can get you a job, but your soft skills (work ethic, attitude, punctuality, etc) will KEEP you a job.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Well just about any career field you can think of in America is in Alaska also . . . so to me the much larger question is what are the ones that fall within your aptitude and inclination. For me, I'm not all that dumb and I have an aptitude to do most anything that doesn't require a lot of spelling words. But I'm not at all inclined to be a nurse, I mean there is almost nothing about that job that interreges me so it's a no-go for me. For me making things was the ticket which led to machining and that led to building guns which led to gunsmithing. And gunsmithing is a great Alaskan career for the right person.

In other words your looking at this all wrong. It took me a very long time to figure this out but here it is. You are trying to fit yourself to a job when what you should be doing is finding the career that fits who you are or who you want to be. Figure out what your inclined to do then figure out if you have the aptitude for it and go after that wherever that takes you. One thing I can tell you 100% is that the way you imagine your life will be isn't going to be anything like the way it will turn out. Be flexible but hard working, diligent, and loyal then the reality may well be better than the vision!

I thought my Mom's advice to me when I was 17 was just dumb but the older I get (as always) the more I see the wisdom. She said to go in the military and retire out by 40 years old and by then I'd know what I wanted to do with my life and would have the backing to do it. I thought 40 years old, good gawd that is one foot in the grave! Looking back it was great advice for me but I don't know that it is today, our military is a mess under this POTUS.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskaman 2016 View Post
    Can anyone on the forum give me some advice on a good career field to get into in Alaska?
    I am planning on moving to Alaska i have been wanting to move to the great land since i was a small child. I am in the process of saving money and plan on moving the summer of 2017. The only thing is i need work when i get there of course. So i am starting this thread for advice on what fields i should look into or if anyone knows anyone that could help me it would be appreciated.

Thank You
    Get a trade such as welding, electrician, etc. or a degree as mentioned, such as nursing or engineering, even business is good. I too came here from Arkansas vis the USAF. The biggest shock my family had, the cost of living. I'm not talking about a gallon of milk or a pound of hamburger meat, I'm talking utilities and housing prices. Electric bills and gas are higher and housing a lot higher than Arkansas. The house I owned in C. AR we paid $145,000, a house similar to it in Anchorage or the Mat-Su Valley, $300,000+ . A word of advice to if you choose nursing, get your degree in the lower 48 then move here. We had a close friend that had to move to Texas to get her clinicals done and numerous others we've known go to Washington, Oregon, Colorado, etc., as those in the bush of AK have priority. I'm finishing my MBA and will retire in 2 years from the AF, and I am not going anywhere. The wife can pretty much change her job here on a weekly basis if she wanted to, and makes double the money she would in AR. Listen to what everyone has said, and get a trade or degree first.