Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing

Default Purchasing

So I have started training for my private pilot. I'm not one who likes to rent a lot though. I have looked at alaskas list and Craig's. But I can't find a c150 or other nice cheap trainer plane currently. Where is the best place to look and find planes I am looking for?
    thanks for your time

Out of state... Barn stormers has lots of planes that's one place I go to dream

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I purchased two planes out of state. One off barn stormers, one off trade a plane. Another option is to look into is a flying club like http://m.akstarflyingclub.com in Birchwood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just searched alaskas list between 15,000 and 26,000. There are many great tailwheel trainers in that range and at least two 150's that are 21,000 and 22,000. I think the best plane is one you like and that you can talk your instructor into getting into.

Quote Originally Posted by Aztoak2 View Post
    Just searched alaskas list between 15,000 and 26,000. There are many great tailwheel trainers in that range and at least two 150's that are 21,000 and 22,000. I think the best plane is one you like and that you can talk your instructor into getting into.

Ditto...that's exactly what I did with the PA-12...bought an airworthy but beater -12 and used it to learn in.

I've been checking alaskas and Craig's. Just havnt found what would be a nice cheaper starter plane. I've flown a c172 and a c150 now. And I'm wanting to go with a c150 for price reasons. I contacted one last night but it been sold already. Is there usually planes at the airports with signs for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjusten View Post
    I've been checking alaskas and Craig's. Just havnt found what would be a nice cheaper starter plane. I've flown a c172 and a c150 now. And I'm wanting to go with a c150 for price reasons. I contacted one last night but it been sold already. Is there usually planes at the airports with signs for sale?
    Another place to check is flight schools, I saw several planes for sale on Proflite's bulletin board.

One word of caution,, I have seen more than one student buy a 150 only to learn that the plane did not have enough payload to carry 2 full sized folks. So if you are of larger build and so is your instructor, you could end up without enough plane.

Saw this just the other day with a guy trying to get his new 150 up here,, both he and his ferry pilot were over 200 lbs.

Just food for thought.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks for the heads up I will give them a call. I'm not to worried about that. I'm about 180 ready to fly. And I am sure my instructor is just about the same size. But that deffinatly is a good thing to keep in mind for sure thanks

I would carefully assess your desires. A C150 particularly if bought for price reasons is likely to be pretty worn out and will run out of legal useful load pretty quickly.....and I learned in a 150 back in the day at 180#'s (oh the happy days of youth!)

More importantly, while any plane is better than not having a plane, other than training, there's not much that a 150 does very well. Can be cheap, relatively inexpensive to operate, great to punch holes in the sky, but can't carry enough to travel much and won't work on other than a maintained strip.

I just chased a 150 for 4 days and 21 hours around Alaska. That plane went all the way to Galbraith lake, Central, Tok, and a lot of strips between. He has had it in and out of Rhone cabin with his girlfriend. He is a low time pilot but pays attention to what what he is doing and his weight. He is looking for a upgrade I will tell him about your post.
    DENNY

Thank you, happen to know more info?

Check Alaska Airmen's Association classifieds, bulletins boards at Ace fuels, Stoddard's etc. always seems to be a market for new pilots and trainer plane's but I would try to get something you won't outgrow too quick, all depends on your mission though. Would think mid summer may be a slow time for airplane's coming on the market a lot of people using them right now, may be more in the fall.

Check your PM's
    DENNY

There used to be a note book of planes for sale in the old Merrill filed crew lounge / bathroom.
    Also check the bulletin boards at various FBOs. The best planes I ever bought were only advertized on a 3x5 card pinned to cork-board.
    You can find an older C-172 for the price of a C-150 and it is a LOT more usable with a LOT more re-sale value.

Summer is not the time to buy a plane. It is the time to get top dollar as a seller.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Appraisers in Fairbanks area? Also if a plane I am wanting to buy is up for annual in July should it just get the annual, or annual AND pre buy inspection?
    i want to move forward on a plane but trying to find out who to use for these items.

One of the good mechanic's in Anchorage I talked to recommended a thorough pre-buy that he would roll into an annual if you decided to buy it, maybe someone does the same up there.

You can combine a prebuy/annual. The person selling the plane usually pays for the annual. You can contact the IA doing the annual and get all the prebuy info you need. Don't forget to pay him for his time.

Not all IAs are the same. In some cases paying the IA who has been working on the plane for the last few years to basically critique his own work may not be such a good idea.

After having been burned in the past, I prefer to have an Independence examination.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

​ABSOLUTELY !!! Matter of vested interest . . .

getting a pre buy done by someone who doesnt know the plane for sure. whats the best way to find a Mechanic or IA? I am most likely going to store at wasilla airport since its right down the road from me, and is the cheapest. unsure of how to find a good mechanic for me though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast