Thread: Kasilof float

Default Kasilof float

If you want to float Kasilof where do you put in and pull out?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

A few years ago I put-in at the lake boat ramp, rowed, rowed, and rowed some more until I reached the river current and then floated to just above the highway. I left my wife at the takeout and rode a bicycle I had stashed in the woods back to the truck I left at the boat ramp. By the time I got back she had everything broken down and packaged for transport. It was a nice easy float. I have not floated the section downstream of the highway.

Its been a few years (like 10) since I floated it, but we put a drift boat in at the bridge and pulled out at the private campground down a ways. The name escapes me right now and I heard at one point that they were no longer allowing boats to pull out there. It was past the crooked creek campground a ways anyway. My brother pulled his small wooden drift boat out at the crooked creek campground... it only weighed about 200 lbs so he just drug it up the trail to the parking lot, but you could do the same with a raft if you wanted.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Couple of options. You can go lake to highway bridge which is OK. You can go highway bridge to Eds seafoods, you can have the shuttle service there take your truck down to Eds and there is a log roller pull out or if your in a light boat you can carry it up the hill, this would be my suggestion. You can also go to the mouth as well and pull at the beach. Word to the wise. If floating to the mouth make sure to time the tide and ride it out. Paddled a yak out against it once. Will never do that again. What a terrible experience.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

For the upper river put in at slackwater at the end of Tustumena lake road at the ramp there.
    Pull out at the ramp at the highway bridge.
    For the lower river put in at the highway bridge ramp and pull out at kasilof river lodge and cabins. Take North Cohoe to St. Elias street. They are at the end of St. Elias.
    The take out is a pull out where your drift boat is pulled up the Tidal mud into an Aluminum chute of sorts with a UHMW lining. Hook the cable onto your boat. Pull it into the chute with your truck. Disconnect the cable and back your trailer up to the chute and winch it on.
    http://www.kasilofriverlodge.com/photos/index.htm
    Did Ed open Trujillio's landing back up? Last I heard it was still closed.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    For the upper river put in at slackwater at the end of Tustumena lake road at the ramp there.
    Pull out at the ramp at the highway bridge.
    For the lower river put in at the highway bridge ramp and pull out at kasilof river lodge and cabins. Take North Cohoe to St. Elias street. They are at the end of St. Elias.
    The take out is a pull out where your drift boat is pulled up the Tidal mud into an Aluminum chute of sorts with a UHMW lining. Hook the cable onto your boat. Pull it into the chute with your truck. Disconnect the cable and back your trailer up to the chute and winch it on.
    http://www.kasilofriverlodge.com/photos/index.htm
    Did Ed open Trujillio's landing back up? Last I heard it was still closed.
    Maybe not. I havent been down there in 2 years but I used to float and fish kasilof a lot. Once you figure that river out it is great fishing.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

The float from Tusty Lake put-in back to the highway bridge has great put-in/take-out facilities. A bike shuttle works great for this trip and only takes about an hour or so.

Can anyone tell me where we can pull out on the Kasilof this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read my post #5.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Im going to state the obvious, but take your oars out before you run the boat up the chute! spaced it the other day and almost snapped both my oars on the support posts...I don't recall there being posts like that at trullios.
    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Read my post #5.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by live4chrome View Post
    Im going to state the obvious, but take your oars out before you run the boat up the chute! spaced it the other day and almost snapped both my oars on the support posts...I don't recall there being posts like that at trullios.
    Excellent advice.
    Trujillo's did not have a chute at the top.
    Only some 4" abs that your boat slid on.
    Kasilof cabins slides your boat up the tidal mud to a chute at the top.
    Last I heard the state purchased Trujillo's property and the adjacent one.
    Now they are designing a ramp that meets state standards and budgets. Hopefully soon they will get things going there!

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/ka...tretrieval.htm

The KPB tax page says both properties are now owned by the state. Too bad we're broke, this would be very nice.