Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was nailed by fuel thieves Beluga lake.

Default Was nailed by fuel thieves Beluga lake.

We came back late yesterday from the Kenai Area. Then we tied up and went home with about 15-20 gallons in the plane.
    This morning I went down to the lake and found my fuel cap open on wing tank nearest the dock. There was zero fuel in that tank. And not much on the other side.
    Lots of condensation in that tank that I had to flush out. Who knows what else could have blown in there over-night. Good thing my caps have chains on them or that would be missing too.
    Somebody needs a butt kicking.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Not good. Sorry to hear that. Given that there is no real darkness at night right now, that was a pretty bold move by someone...

Quote Originally Posted by Fin Chaser View Post
    Not good. Sorry to hear that. Given that there is no real darkness at night right now, that was a pretty stupid move by someone...

Fixed it for you. These fools don't care if they risk the lives of others, as long as they can steal a few gallons of fuel.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Look for the local wannabe go fast. Can't be too many in Homer.
    Set up a game cam in such a way that it can capture a facial image while the access the tank.
    Caning is a very civilized way of making a potentially lethal action a non-lethal punishment. Too bad we're not civilized any more.
    Had this happen a few times at our field a couple years ago. They hit a Troopers personal Cub. Never heard the outcome but the fuel thefts ended pretty quickly after that.

When I found out that people were shooting each other for a pair of new fancy tennis shoes, nothing really surprises me anymore about the lengths people will go to to steel pretty much anything.......

We need law and order in this country again.....hangings for murder, lop off a finger, then a hand for steeling, castration for rape........and all in public and on tv. People that keep going to prison get three strikes then your out....no mater what the offence. If you can't live in society then you ain't gonna live in prison either....watching tv and eating 3 squares a day.

Start putting the fear of God into these punks and maybe things will change.

But no......we're too "civilized" for that.

Meanwhile it gets worse and worse......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Man that really sucks!Sounds like this is a state wide issue.
    Maybe they need to run an ad campaign letting people know that tampering with an airplanes fuel is a federal offense?
    I know it won't stop all of it but it might deter a few punks who think of it as a minor offense that won't get them in any real trouble.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

It does not help much when the local police dispatcher says she really does not need any more info when you offer it.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    It does not help much when the local police dispatcher says she really does not need any more info when you offer it.
    Wow that's just crazy. Like they don't want to leave the doughnut shop to do anything that might require putting their doughnuts and coffee down!
    Guess there's always some form of Vigilante justice if/when you catch them. Posting their name in public things like that.
    A game camera would certainly be a good idea if you have one available.
    Thanks for the heads up also. I will let my dad know if he heads that way with his cub to be extra careful.

I was hit at Birchwood a few weeks ago too. When I filed the report they seamed less than interested in hearing any of it. I am taking matters into my own hands now.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    When I found out that people were shooting each other for a pair of new fancy tennis shoes, nothing really surprises me anymore about the lengths people will go to to steel pretty much anything.......

We need law and order in this country again.....hangings for murder, lop off a finger, then a hand for steeling, castration for rape........and all in public and on tv. People that keep going to prison get three strikes then your out....no mater what the offence. If you can't live in society then you ain't gonna live in prison either....watching tv and eating 3 squares a day.

Start putting the fear of God into these punks and maybe things will change.

But no......we're too "civilized" for that.

Meanwhile it gets worse and worse......

+1 and some rep

No rep - got to spread some love first.

I had to drain the remaining few gallons out of my right tank the other day, and it takes forever even taking the sumps completely off. These people must be sitting there for an hour or more to steal all that much fuel. It seems like the risks of getting caught would be rather high.

Since my caps were wide open on top of the wings I assume they just used a big hose and siphoned it into a jug.

We had the Homer CAP plane hit several times back in the mid 80's by pulling the sump drain...it was pretty bad when we needed the plane in a hurry. Never caught the bast ard.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Some local low lifes here were drilling holes in fuel tanks on vehicles to steal gas. I have friends who ended up with a repair bill upwards of $1000 so some thug could steal $50 of gas.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

That's the first I've heard of fuel theft at both Beluga Lake and Birchwood. Ugh. So frustrating that people do this kind of thing and really put others in real danger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As you might remember, some thieves broke into a bunch of planes and hangars a couple years back here in Homer. They stole hand held GPSs and headsets. Everybody in town knows who it was, but the local Cops could not make a case for the DA.

Based on what I was told two years ago, AK law enforcement no longer has the resources to deal with petty property crime. No direct evidence makes solving it impossible, so its wastes their time to do more than take a report.

Case in point. Last winter a fireman had two snowmachines on a trailer stolen from his driveway during the day. His cameras captured low-res images of one older man and a younger skinny man. The images of the older man are good enough that someone could identify him. The hoody on the kid makes indentification impossible. They were driving a white GMC Yukon with a black stripe down the side. The rig had Chevy rims with Chevy hubcaps from the mid 1980's. Plates had cardboard over them front and back.
    A week later the fireman caught the rig in a parking lot and blocked it in. Called APD. The two ladies driving it claimed no body else had ever driven the rig but them. Since the driver was a woman and there was no image of the plates APD let them go.
    How many White GMC Yukons with black side stripes with chevy rims and hub caps are there likely to be in Anchorage? You don't need to be Stephen Hawking to do the math on that. I don't know what the fireman did after APD let the ladies go. So even the potential to recovery several thousand dollars worth of snow machines does not motivate APD. The fact that the men covered up the plates tells anyone with an IQ over 50 that these two guys have done this before. A few bucks in fuel is meaningless to law enforcment, even though from an aircraft could mean a significant loss of life.

If you place a game camera inside the plane facing out will the motion sensor still work? or do you need to leave it on to record all the time?

I remember the incident a few years back where a prominent Nikiski family took theft matters into their own hands.
    Troopers claimed they were not able to respond until the next morning when the stolen stuff (thousands of dollars worth from several different thefts)was located in a residence rented out by some college kids.
    When the shotguns and baseball bats came out the troopers showed up in a reasonable time frame.
    Troopers told the guys recovering the items that vigilante justice was not allowed. They told the troopers that if they couldn't respond in a timely manner they WOULD do it again.
    I feel if LEO's wont get a handle on this vigilante justice will prevail. LEO's will eventually have to intervene at that point especially if it gets violent.

A hand full of months ago I has a mini bike show up at my house leaned up against the back of my boat. I called the troopers and they were less than interested. They would not come out and look at it, but said if I had time I could load it up and bring it to them... Bear in mind that this would easily fit into the trunk of a normal cruiser let alone the SUVs and trucks they drive around, but they could not be bothered by it. I posted it on facebook and had the rightful owner located in about 24 hrs. Seems an ex employee of theirs had broken into a connex at their place of business and had stolen quite a bit of stuff... It blew me away that the troopers would not drive a mile or so from the doughnut shop to even take pictures and recover the stolen property I had found...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast