Thread: Removing jet impeller

Default Removing jet impeller

I'm trying to remove a 50/35 Honda jet impeller. I've removed impellers before (yamahas) but they just slid off. This won't budge. Do I need to get a puller? Is there a special way with these Hondas? I'm not sure if I just need to do some convincing with a mallet or if there's a trick. I bought this motor used and I don't thing the impellers been removed in the last 12 years.

Also the sleeve has two bolts connected on the foot of the jet. This thing is also not just sliding out. Again, any tricks or is this thing supposed to slide out easy (which it's not)?

Thanks

If the impeller is stuck, I typically get a dead-blow rubber mallet, a large flat-tip screw driver, dowse the shaft/key-way with WD-40 or Kroil and let soak for a bit, then slowly convince it just who the boss is. That little poly sleeve inside can deteriorate over time and cause rust/corrosion to get between the bore of the impeller/key-way and the shaft itself. Pressed in river silt and/or being in saltwater doesn't help. They can be a real booger sometimes!! Hope that helps...

And a blow torch...

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    And a blow torch...

Sobie2
    I agree, (I don't know if this jet was run in salt or not) If a jet has salt time its common for the impeller to get stuck on the shaft. if you take a torch and heat the cone part of the impeller for a while the impeller will slide off, what you have done is sacrifice the plastic sleeve and will need to buy a new one. Glen

Thanks for the advice. I finally got the impeller off.

The key (t-shaped) had worn down and moved out of the slot. I couldn't get the torch to melt the plastic sleeve but just kept pounding the impeller with a couple mallets. It took over 2 hours of hitting the dang thing. I don't think the boat was ever in the ocean, but it had plenty of silt and sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Wooldridge View Post
    I agree, (I don't know if this jet was run in salt or not) If a jet has salt time its common for the impeller to get stuck on the shaft. if you take a torch and heat the cone part of the impeller for a while the impeller will slide off, what you have done is sacrifice the plastic sleeve and will need to buy a new one. Glen
    I've never had one that bad, but good to know if/when I do..