Thread: Fairbanks advice

Default Fairbanks advice

I mentioned in a previous post about a trip my daughter and I will be making in July (first week), flying into and out of Fairbanks.

Fishing is small part of the trip, but grayling is on my bucket list so would like to spend a little time chasing them. We will be headed both south towards Denali and north somewhere (open to suggestions for general travel as well.)

In addition to fishing suggestions, would like to know of a good sporting goods store to hit for advice and supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndoc View Post
    I mentioned in a previous post about a trip my daughter and I will be making in July (first week), flying into and out of Fairbanks.

Fishing is small part of the trip, but grayling is on my bucket list so would like to spend a little time chasing them. We will be headed both south towards Denali and north somewhere (open to suggestions for general travel as well.)

In addition to fishing suggestions, would like to know of a good sporting goods store to hit for advice and supplies.
    I would recommend heading out Chena Hot Springs Road. Toward the end of the road (the last 20 miles or so) there are numerous pullouts and gravel bars that would make for excellent camping and grayling fishing.

A recommendation for a sporting goods store to offer good advice and tackle would be Big Rays in downtown Fairbanks. I'm not sure if you will be fly fishing or using conventional gear. Drop me a PM if you decide to head out that way and I can send you some advice for either fishing method and I can even share with you some mileposts that were my favorite spots when I lived in that area.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

^^^I agree with above. Fishing has been nothing short of superb lately. Assuming our drought continues it'll remain excellent.

Couple other options are Chatanika river and Delta Clearwater river.

Pm or email me for more specifics also.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Delta Clearwater would be awesome to check out for you but if you don't have a boat then I don't think it is worth your time. If you are military you can rent a boat from the post in Fairbanks (after completing an online boating course before you come up) for super cheap (like $60). If you can do that then do Delta as they have huge grayling and it is a very neat river.

If car bound then Chena Hot Springs for sure. PM me and I will send you more specifics but as many have said anything above mile 25 look for little pull outs and do some fishing. Best to have full waders to do it but might be able to get away with hip boots. I do better with a spinnner on the Chena as some spots are tight and I am not skilled enough to get a good drift with a fly in tight quarters.

Sportsman's Warehouse is on your way out of town while heading to the Chena and they have great supplies and a board at the front with lure/fly recommendations. Sometimes the staff in there is very helpful sometimes not I have mroe then once just talked to another person in the store when the first one seemed to be guessing.

Thanks everyone for your help. I am not a skilled fly fisher so will be with spinners. PMs to be coming soon!