Thread: New Rifle/scope combination ???

Default New Rifle/scope combination ???

Hello all, I recently purchased a Browning BAR Safari Mkll, that has rifle sights. I have a NIB Leupold VX-3 3.5x10x40 scope. I was wanting to pair these two up. Question is the 3.5x10 overkill for this rifle? Anyone have this set-up? Pros/cons? Anything of value you folks could offer will be welcome. What about rings and bases? Thank-you in advance.

What caliber? Where and what are you going to use it for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Sorry I left that one out.338 Win Mag. Use it for an all around gun Moose,Caribou,Black Bear etc.

Sounds like a good combo to me....I'd get the Leupold dual dovetail bases for it, those are pretty nice rifles.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

The VX3 would be mounted in a heart beat!!!! Get it mounted in a good set of rings and have fun!

Over the years I have found I Rarely needed anything over 6 power and while I have some big boomers in the gun safe wearing 3.5 - 10 - 40 they have become dust collectors as I much prefer grabbing something with a 2x7x33 or 2x8x33 that is compact and more user friendly for weight, balance, and eye relief as seldom have I needed to shoot over 200 yards. You have plenty of gun in 338 to shoot far but the terrain and your skill levels should be more of a determining factor. If you are carrying good binocs you will seldom need a 10 power scope IMO...
    Not knocking your rig selection at all, just passing along my life's observations! Get something big and furry up close and 3.5 will seem mighty strong and narrow FOV vs a 2x ...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....