Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Anchoring on the Deshka River

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Peters Creek
    Posts
    284

    Default Anchoring on the Deshka River

    Going to vent here for a second. Some boaters need to think about where they are in reference to anchoring their boats to fish on the Deshka (and problem all rivers). The water on the Deshka is extremely low and while coming down stream yesterday I almost ran into 2 different boats because of where they were anchored. I was going just fast enough to stay on step in several of these areas because of past experience. I came around a sharp bend and there were boats on one side of the river where people camp but some guy decided to anchor and fish on the inside of the bend just out of sight until I was 3/4 of the way into it. Don't anchor in blind corners or in the channels. And while I am at it. Don't anchor in the shallows then wade into the channel. Boats need water to run, beside standing in deep water casting towards the shallows make no sense to me.

  2. #2
    Member HCL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mat-Sue
    Posts
    267

    Default

    I agree 100%!
    I don't require a lot of speed or water to run on step and I thought I was being nice one time and came off step to go around a boat anchored in the channel and one in the middle of the corner (both with 6 folks fishing if that tells you anything, and probably the same dang corner)- yep stuck!
    The worst part is they continued to fish and never even offered to help, other than make remarks about how I was in the way and disturbing the fish.
    Coming back down I did not come off step and disturbed more than fish. Learned my lesson with that one!
    So if you are anchored up (and not broke down) in the channel or blind corner and I blow by without a wave, maybe you should consider where you drop anchor.
    I ain't perfect, so if you see me on the river doing something wrong, please let me know, I sure don't mind.
    Mike

  3. #3
    Member DanielApplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    344

    Default

    Deshkas pretty notorious for this at times, lots of people anchored up in weird places and standing in the middle of the river fishing..... I know they can here me coming for miles so they must not mind it when I cruise right by them with them still standing in the channel

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Peters Creek
    Posts
    284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HCL View Post
    I agree 100%!
    I don't require a lot of speed or water to run on step and I thought I was being nice one time and came off step to go around a boat anchored in the channel and one in the middle of the corner (both with 6 folks fishing if that tells you anything, and probably the same dang corner)- yep stuck!
    The worst part is they continued to fish and never even offered to help, other than make remarks about how I was in the way and disturbing the fish.
    Coming back down I did not come off step and disturbed more than fish. Learned my lesson with that one!
    So if you are anchored up (and not broke down) in the channel or blind corner and I blow by without a wave, maybe you should consider where you drop anchor.
    I ain't perfect, so if you see me on the river doing something wrong, please let me know, I sure don't mind.
    Mike
    Mike I know just what you mean. When I was running my Wooldridge I came up on Silver Hole and there was one of those 6 people fishing boats right in the middle of that narrow chute at the top end. Water was deep enough so I pulled up to him and told him that wasn't a good place to park. He told me he would anchor any were he pleased. So I cut throttle and floated back to deep water and got on it and flew by him about a foot or so because that was as far away as I could get from him. I am sure some people got wet. Made the sharp bend at the top and met a Thunder Jet heading down stream. Not sure what happened but sure someone had to change their pants.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Peters Creek
    Posts
    284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanielApplin View Post
    Deshkas pretty notorious for this at times, lots of people anchored up in weird places and standing in the middle of the river fishing..... I know they can here me coming for miles so they must not mind it when I cruise right by them with them still standing in the channel
    Same here. Only way they can't hear me now days is to be completely deaf. One of the boats I passed this weekend in one of those areas was holding his hands over his ears.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    All-I-SAW, AK.
    Posts
    1,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanielApplin View Post
    Deshkas pretty notorious for this at times, lots of people anchored up in weird places and standing in the middle of the river fishing..... I know they can here me coming for miles so they must not mind it when I cruise right by them with them still standing in the channel
    I've done the same thing. I swear that they think they can just walk on in, block a small channel off, and no one will go by them.
    They'll hear me, then they'll see me, and I'll yell while waving them to move. They won't move. They look at me like "this is my spot, I'm not budging"..
    As I go by at kissing distance and fill their hip waders, maybe next time they'll move..
    I'm not getting stuck for their ignorance or stupidity.

  7. #7
    Member AKBassking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SE Alaska-Summer Columbia River-Winter
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    Remember a few years back when a riverboat and airboat crashed on one of those corners...

    ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

  8. #8
    Member hoose35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Soldotna, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    2,891

    Default

    Wow, boating on the deshka sounds like so much fun.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

  9. #9
    Member DanielApplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    344

    Default

    It is fun, 1 month out of the year there's a small possibility of seeing someone in the first 4 miles of river standing in the water and for the remaining 99 percent of time and 99 percent of river there is no one to be seen

  10. #10
    Member Bob the fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Hey HCL, Ive seen you on the river. You are a channel hog. You know you should watchout for us smaller less experience boaters. We have no idea what the heck we are doin out there and probly shouldnt be there to begin with but, We have this desire to be on the river and try to kill one of the last remaining king salmon in the matsu valley and so damit! Watchout. Ha Ha Ha. Just kidding bro, keep your head up and I would run/ride with you anytime...

    Quote Originally Posted by HCL View Post
    I agree 100%!
    I don't require a lot of speed or water to run on step and I thought I was being nice one time and came off step to go around a boat anchored in the channel and one in the middle of the corner (both with 6 folks fishing if that tells you anything, and probably the same dang corner)- yep stuck!
    The worst part is they continued to fish and never even offered to help, other than make remarks about how I was in the way and disturbing the fish.
    Coming back down I did not come off step and disturbed more than fish. Learned my lesson with that one!
    So if you are anchored up (and not broke down) in the channel or blind corner and I blow by without a wave, maybe you should consider where you drop anchor.
    I ain't perfect, so if you see me on the river doing something wrong, please let me know, I sure don't mind.
    Mike
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Peters Creek
    Posts
    284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Remember a few years back when a riverboat and airboat crashed on one of those corners...
    I am not aware of a riverboat and airboat accident. I do know in 2006 there was an airboat/airboat accident which took the lives of two people. And then in 2008 or 2009 there was a riverboat/riverboat accident with injuries.

  12. #12
    Member Jimw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AkGrumpy View Post
    Going to vent here for a second. Some boaters need to think about where they are in reference to anchoring their boats to fish on the Deshka (and problem all rivers). The water on the Deshka is extremely low and while coming down stream yesterday I almost ran into 2 different boats because of where they were anchored. I was going just fast enough to stay on step in several of these areas because of past experience. I came around a sharp bend and there were boats on one side of the river where people camp but some guy decided to anchor and fish on the inside of the bend just out of sight until I was 3/4 of the way into it. Don't anchor in blind corners or in the channels. And while I am at it. Don't anchor in the shallows then wade into the channel. Boats need water to run, beside standing in deep water casting towards the shallows make no sense to me.

    Kind of the same issue on Clear Creek up on the Talkeetna. not so much the boats anchoring but the anglers fishing the mouth. There is a narrow channel in that creek even though it is somewhat wide. I will wait at the mouth in the current before heading up to see if anyone has a fish on. If they have a fish on i wait until they are done and then head on in. Now there are boats tied up to the bank and the channel runs close to the bank and if you choose to tie up there that is your problem. Now if the angler choose to make a stand in the channel that is their issue. If the angle has been there more than 30 minutes a boat or boats have gone by so there should not be a suprise to them. I will wait at the mouth regardless before heading in, the anglers can see and hear the boat. That also holds true farther up the creek. Clear Creek gets really narrow maybe 40 feet wide with sharp corners and log jams that you can not stop or come off step. If the angler takes root in that spot, sorry dude, that is your choice. i will be past and on up the creek in 30 seconds. I have ported around a few anglers, i dont like to do it, but i gave them a chance to back up some. With that said, my boat puts out 55 gallons of water a second at 3400 rpm. yes there is a story behind that statement and the rooter tail goes a long ways into the trees
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

  13. #13
    Member boondockinak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somewhere North of the lesser 48
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanielApplin View Post
    Deshkas pretty notorious for this at times, lots of people anchored up in weird places and standing in the middle of the river fishing..... I know they can here me coming for miles so they must not mind it when I cruise right by them with them still standing in the channel
    lol, benefits of loud exhaust... Dan, Eric said he touched quite a bit last weekend on the Deska, is it that bad? I havn't been up there yet this year, and I'm not excited to think about pushing the duck off a sand bar again...

    PS, still have your hat

    -Rob
    ~Alaska born and raised~ •'04 Duckworth, 5.7 w/ 3-stg. •High side Lowe, '13 Yami 25 prop+Merc 40/30 jet
    •Ranger 6x •CAT atv w/ 27" rubber •A very large moose buggy •M7 153" "Earned, NOT given"

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Peters Creek
    Posts
    284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boondockinak View Post
    lol, benefits of loud exhaust... Dan, Eric said he touched quite a bit last weekend on the Deska, is it that bad? I havn't been up there yet this year, and I'm not excited to think about pushing the duck off a sand bar again...

    PS, still have your hat

    -Rob
    Rob, I wouldn't take a duck or any other large boat up the Deshka right now. To be honest if I was still running my Wooldridge with the outboard I would not be up there. Some bad sand/gravel bars all over and some almost bank to bank.

  15. #15
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,121

    Default

    Big 'ol thunderjunk sitting on a skinny strech yesterday quite a ways from anyhting more than 3'' deep. Another was a guide boat with clients spanning half of the river sitting sideways and trying to tell me where to go as we got near.....I don't think so!
    Also rafters up river choking off the river on a tight corner.......maybe next time you'll move when you hear us coming.

    Most are curteous and will get the same politeness back, others not so much and.....well......you might not be pleased with the outcome.

    Water is skinny, very skinny. Be careful and don't expect a boat to put his passengers and equipment in a dangerous situation cause your too lazy, stubborn, or inconsiderate to park or fish in the river. Be safe, see ya out yhere soon.

    Also, I might run behind you next time if you dont move out of the channel......watch your back cast!
    Bk

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Glad to hear you guys are having a good time!

  17. #17
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Glad to hear you guys are having a good time!
    We do! Its the idiots that think the world revolves around them that aren't so happy.
    Bk

  18. #18
    Member HCL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mat-Sue
    Posts
    267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    We do! Its the idiots that think the world revolves around them that aren't so happy.
    Bk
    AMEN! Could not agree more!

  19. #19
    Member boondockinak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somewhere North of the lesser 48
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AkGrumpy View Post
    Rob, I wouldn't take a duck or any other large boat up the Deshka right now. To be honest if I was still running my Wooldridge with the outboard I would not be up there. Some bad sand/gravel bars all over and some almost bank to bank.
    That's what the little boat is for Thanks for the info
    ~Alaska born and raised~ •'04 Duckworth, 5.7 w/ 3-stg. •High side Lowe, '13 Yami 25 prop+Merc 40/30 jet
    •Ranger 6x •CAT atv w/ 27" rubber •A very large moose buggy •M7 153" "Earned, NOT given"

  20. #20
    Member akriverunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    506

    Default

    That's what happens when everyone that wants a king is on the same small river.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •