Thread: Seward Silvers end of July. Shore Fishing

Default Seward Silvers end of July. Shore Fishing

A group of us from South Dakota are coming up that way towards the end of July. Although we know quite a bit about where to hunt and fish in South Dakota, we know nothing about fishing the Seward area. We will have a couple of younger boys (9 & 11) along with us. We are fishing out of Seward July 28th on a charter. Wondering if we should plan an extra day or two fishing in the Seward area. Are there places where we will have a reasonable opportunity to get the kids on fish from the shore? I saw there are water taxis that could shuttle us around the bay for the day. Are there water taxi destinations where the silver fishing is good at that time? Can the kids bobber fish from shore? I also saw there is boat rental in Seward. Is renting a boat a good way to catch silvers. Any help getting the boys on fish is greatly appreciated. BTW, if anyone is heading to South Dakota in the fall, let us know, we will get you on the birds.

Only seen shore fishing along road between Seward and Lowell Point. Never heard about taxi dropping anyone on shore either. Only boat rental I see is Miller's Landing but looks like operational zone might not be south enough in July for silvers but might work. I have trolled along Caines Head and Derby Cove later in the year, Aug and Sept. In July fish are normally further.

I have fished along Lowell Point Rd. Caught a few silvers with a bobber and herring on a 4'-6' leader. There is a water fall at the beginning of Lowell Point Rd ,next to the Sea Life Center, it's a popular spot for snagging and regular fishing. I have seen halibut caught out of the harbor and would not be surprised if you catch silvers in there too. About 20 miles outside of Anchorage you will cross Bird Creek, try that spot for sure! It's a great Silver spot for the kids. Hope this helps ......

P.S. If you want your kids to catch fish until their arms are tired, try Hope. The end of July is a perfect time to take them there and catch all the pinks you can handle. #4 Vibrax and a pair of waders is all you need.
    www.surfishingalaska.com (Work in Progress)

Thank you for the insights. We will definitely bring the boys to Hope for some Pink action. Is there a particular area of the Resurrection that will be easy for the kids to fish? We may also bring them to Homer to fish off the spit. Can the kids bobber fish Bird Creek or is it mostly casting? I have visited it, but never fished it. I was always a little early for the pinks and silvers.

Thank you!

You could soak eggs off of a bobber and most likely catch anything that will hit a spoon or a spinner. There might be some pinks in the Kenai river too - might be worth a stop if you go to Homer. Usually the pinks are better in the Kenai on even years. We "salvaged" a marginal clam trip by stopping at the kenai a few years ago. We were actually sore the next day from catching pinks.

Quote Originally Posted by SDringneck View Post
    Thank you for the insights. We will definitely bring the boys to Hope for some Pink action. Is there a particular area of the Resurrection that will be easy for the kids to fish? We may also bring them to Homer to fish off the spit. Can the kids bobber fish Bird Creek or is it mostly casting? I have visited it, but never fished it. I was always a little early for the pinks and silvers.

Thank you!
    If your purely after fish catching for the kids, go to hope, they are like 1-2 lb. pinks but there are as many as you can catch. Bird creek is likely a good place too but more crowded. Red fishing on the Kenai should be good at that time, try Morgans Landing or the city park in Soldotna.