Thread: PIGGY'BACK (Assault) BACKPACK.......what you got/like/hate/use...???

Default PIGGY'BACK (Assault) BACKPACK.......what you got/like/hate/use...???

Subject is smaller packs that CAN go solo but mostly ride piggy back on a primary pack. I use the KIFARU E&E (1,000 Cu. In.) for a survival/assault pack. It can be removed or re-attached to the Primary pack in about (3) three seconds. https://store.kifaru.net/escape-and-...iters-p56.aspx

My primary is a KELTY "Falcon 4000" (NOT for Hunting)

I have a Tactical Tailor chest'rig that works better when it is very hot weather.
    Your thoughts.....what do you choose.........?

My latest pack, used it for the first time last season, is a Stone Glacier Terminus (6300 ci) and then I also have the SG Solo (3300 ci) that can ride piggyback on the Terminus. SG also makes a 2200 ci pack, called the Approach, that rides on the back of several of their larger packs. I've played around with the Terminus with the Solo piggybacked onto it, but haven't used it in a hunting situation yet. So far I'm really liking the SG though and ended up selling my Kifaru DT1 and KU 5200, to eliminate any jealousy issues.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Subject is smaller packs that CAN go solo but mostly ride piggy back on a primary pack. I use the KIFARU E&E (1,000 Cu. In.) for a survival/assault pack. It can be removed or re-attached to the Primary pack in about (3) three seconds. https://store.kifaru.net/escape-and-...iters-p56.aspx

My primary is a KELTY "Falcon 4000" (NOT for Hunting)

I have a Tactical Tailor chest'rig that works better when it is very hot weather.
    Your thoughts.....what do you choose.........?
    That E & E has so many straps and configurations. I just watched the video.

You should show us how yours is set up.

I am phobic about even doing a day hike with less than minimal over night gear. The PLB has helped with this mental issue, but then I am loathed to ask for help if there is anyway in hell that I can crawl out of the wilderness.

This system allows me to have a 30 to 35 pound total weight for the primary and the E&E pack when I leave the trailhead. Combined it really is everything I need for three to five day walk'about even if I only plan to be out for the day and return home or sleep in the truck.

I can start up say Summit Creek, and get to the lake, drop the primary pack, and with only the E&E pack full of survival gear, rope, and emergency over night gear and the PLB, I can feel safe climbing up any of the higher deadend box canyons. Lug up to the back of Slate Creek and check the caches. Return and reattach to the primary pack, and go over into Colorado Creek and drop the primary next to the big lake at the valley head. And spend the rest of the day scouting Colorado Creek. Late in the day I can return to the primary pack and either reattach and return to the truck, or I have the option of over night at the lake.

It allows me to feel safe knowing that between the PLB and minimal camp I can go further, and push myself harder for that day. I love that SL-3 tent shelter.