Thread: smoked rockfish

Default smoked rockfish

Am thinking about smoking some rockfish, any opinions or hints out there?

I have smoked rockfish in the past, the biggest hint that I can give you is not to over smoke/cook it, dry's out pretty quick when over smoked/cooked.

I like to cold smoke it, then finish it either in the sautee pan, oven, or in a broth. If you don't have a cold smoker, you can generally keeps your temps under 100F with pans of ice in the bottom of the smoker

I have had Kodiak Island smokehouse smoke up black rockfish for me in the past and she has done excellant work. Her advise to me was, leave the skin on, and she would only smoke the large ones. She stated rockfish tends to dry out quickly when being smoked so you need the largest one to have a good end product. FYI

I've tried it a few times and it turns out ok. Definitely stick with the larger ones as it does dry out quickly

Thanks for all the hints. The rockfish that we brought back to Ne. last year we found it to be very mild without much flavor. I canned some with a bit of olive oil and lemon pepper turned out fantastic. Also pickeled some that too was very good. As we are coming back in Aug. this year will have to try some of it smoked. In our trips up North we have met some great people and always enjoy the fishing your state has to offer. It tends to spoil me for fishing back here in Ne.