Thread: where can I get legal polar bear fur in AK?

Default where can I get legal polar bear fur in AK?

Does anyone know where I can buy a small piece of legal polar bear fur, or a trinket with some polar bear fur, in AK? I want to use it in fishing flies.

There was a post awhile back in the fly-tying subforum that it is available from certain natives, or even at fly shops, but nothing specific.

Thanks

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

This is what I was told by a Fed Fish and Game several years ago when inquiring about tying PB fur flies. (FWIW.)

Non-natives can only possess raw PB hair that was taken in the 70s, (when non-natives were allowed to hunt PB). How you prove that he did not know. PB flies tied in the same time period are ok for non-natives to possess IF you can prove they were tied then.

PB fur can now only be possessed by non-natives if made into a traditional native handcraft. No cutting off the hair to make flies.

He said that he did not think natives traditionally tied "modern" type flies so flies tied by natives after the 70s are not legal to possess by non-natives.

He said that HE would not use PB hair to tie flies.

So there you go...clear as mud.

if the skin has some art work on it the shin is legal to sell am own I think ,because it is ART WORK by a "" native""" that is the way I was told a couple of years ago by FED. fish an game , they could see things different now , they are known to change there ideas depending on who you talk to, but there is some fish hair out there that works for me , SID .

Several years ago (maybe 10+) there was a company that was selling "ice worms" made out of polar bear fur by Alaska Natives. They were sold with the artists name and signature along with the silver hand signifying authenticity as a way to sell it legally so it could then be used by the purchaser as fly tying material. Some of it was even dyed. The guy's name was Fred Bahr and it was called "Polar Bahr" fur or something like that. Don't know what ever became of it.
    I am no longer surprised at what I am no longer surprised at ---Bill Whittle

When the "Fishing Hole" Fly fishing shop was in Soldotna he sold polar bear hair. I remember the artist signed the bottom of each strip and put a pair of those cheap plastic doll eyes on it and they called it a fuzzy wuzzy or something like that. Some was plain some was dyed.
    You just removed those cheap eyes and used the hair for your flies. It's too bad that store couldn't compete and went out of business.
    they were not the greatest store but always had a few items nobody else did.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Might contact Mossy's fly shop in ANC (907-277-2666). I know they were working on obtaining 'legal' PB hair for retail sale.

Oh Well - sounds like the rumors I heard in the past, were confirmed with more rumors of the same, namely, people remember it used to be sold sometime in the past, somewhere in a form and size amenable for use as fly tying material. But nothing yet specific or current.

If anyone comes up with an address where they saw a legal item for sale recently, like the last month or so, I'm still interested.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

The Fur Exchange has PB key chains hanging right next to the cash register for like $20. If anyone knows where to get legal PB, it'd be them. I got some of those Bahr Ice Worms back than and still use them. I got mine at that rod building shop that was off Spenard, I think. They're closed now, but they always had them and I stocked up.

Personally, I've gotten very fond of mountain goat for tying...winter or spring goat. It has to be long. If it's long, it's incredible material. And legal all day long. I've got heaps of it, thank God. I'm not as stingy with it as I am my PB.

Met someone once who had a connection to the scraps left over from authentic native crafts. It was basically trash to the original user, but he tied flies with the remnants. Sounds like it probably wasn't exactly legal, based on the above posts, I guess the Feds would rather throw it away.

Canada Fly Shops still sell it however that does not mean that Ye Ole Uncle Sam will allow you to have it. You know with the improvements in modern Synthetics one half dozen or the other IMO

The Wife and I went to Homer about 5 years ago to go fishing. The trip turned out poorly; however, on the drive back North she had me pull over at an antique/craft store on the West side of the highway. They had some small patches of PB for sale. They were about 1 or 1 1/2 inch by 2 inches. Pretty spendy, but I don't remember how much. They came in a baggie with a card that said: This is from a PB killed before 19XX and is legal to own.

The reason it caught my eye is because I remember as a young person there were patterns that required PB. Even back then it was pretty spendy compared to the other fur.

Neither of us remember the name of the place or its location.

as I know it as long as it is NATIVE art work it is OK to own [ ART WORK ] you see it a lot still $$$$$ all that has been said is true but no one has stated anything about ART work they can still kill Polar Bear as I see it an do it some , from what I know about it
    could be wrong do let me know if I am SID PS just like IVORY if it is ART work you are good

I was in Seward this week. The Fish House had a bucket of polar bear fur for sale. They were chunks about 1x2 and had funny eyes glued to them. Some had a light dye job.
    Didn't notice the price. Right on the counter by the register.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it