Thread: Seward halibut

Default Seward halibut

Going to Seward to hunt Halibut for first time. Any ideas for just outside the bay. Not looking for barn doors.

Fish in 200-250 off on any of the points from Point Resserection on East and you'll find halibut. The caveat is you'll be hooking half dozen arrow tooth flounder for every halibut you land but keep at it and you'll get some nice halibut. We've been drifting using grubs on lead heads and flutter jigs and the fish don't seem picky.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Fish in 200-250 off on any of the points from Point Resserection on East and you'll find halibut. The caveat is you'll be hooking half dozen arrow tooth flounder for every halibut you land but keep at it and you'll get some nice halibut. We've been drifting using grubs on lead heads and flutter jigs and the fish don't seem picky.
    And 10 dog sharks for every halibut you hook!

Release Lake Trout

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

We haven't run into any arrow tooth at all this year. The dog sharks were thick last weekend abut only caught 4 yesterday, but the cod....holy crap were the cod thick yesterday. The whales put on a fantastic show all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Fish in 200-250 off on any of the points from Point Resserection on East and you'll find halibut.
    Are Cape Resurrection and Point Resurrection the same place? Never been out of Seward since I've had a boat...may have to try it and give Whittier a rest.

That's what I get for posting without checking the charts, yes Cape Resurrection. While I enjoy boating out of Whittier, when it comes to catching fish I'll take Seward over Whittier every time. I know people do catch halibut out of Whittier, but odds are they are covering a lot more water, fishing a lot more hours, and not hooking as many fish.

Granted between cod, arrow tooth flounder and ping pong paddles we hooked over two dozen fish before landing these three but I'll take that over my typical Whittier fishing experiences.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

Thanks, Paul. I don't have all that much range with my skiff so my Whittier fishing is pretty much as you describe. I guess the relatively short drive is what keeps me going back. I'll have to figure out how far it is out to Cape Resurrection from Seward and give it a whirl. I don't need big or many fish, but I do need some fish...lol.

Garyak,

It is about 17 miles from the harbor to the Cape.

Randy

Thanks, Randy...I can easily do that!

Even though Seward is a longer drive, time wise is pretty much a wash when you factor in waiting for the tunnel, waiting to launch, and the remote parking lot at Whittier. Also the additional fuel you burn to drive to Seward is offset by Seward launch/parking fee of $20 vs. Whittier tunnel/launch/parking $55 not to mention the fuel you save on the boat by being able to get into fish relatively close to port. Launching in Seward is rediculously efficient, launch, tie up, drive up the ramp, automated launch/parking machine, park 100' from the launch, 200' on a busy day, back down the ramp and you're on your way.

The one caveat is expect a chop heading out of and returning to port in Seward.

Garyak, how far is your range and how big of seas do you feel comfortable in? If heading east the seas can get big out there quick. If heading out west to the chiswells or aialik bay you can hide between some of the islands if it starts to get rough. Halibut fishing is pretty good out there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by joebut1985 View Post
    Garyak, how far is your range and how big of seas do you feel comfortable in? If heading east the seas can get big out there quick. If heading out west to the chiswells or aialik bay you can hide between some of the islands if it starts to get rough. Halibut fishing is pretty good out there as well.
    Good question, joebut1985 I'm guessing my range is about 90 miles with a 1/3 reserve. I went from Whittier to Serpentine glacier and back with a few short side trips to pull shrimp gear, etc. By chart it looks like about 70 miles. I have a 26 gallon fuel tank and 13 topped it off....so , I'm getting about 5 mpg on glassy water. Not having all the shrimp stuff and just me on board, I'd have plenty of room for some extra fuel. Sea conditions are the bigger deal in my flat bottom Harvey dory, anything over a 2 ft. head sea gets pretty poundy and no doubt, fuel economy changes, too.

You can almost always bet on a 2' chop coming into Seward harbor.

That should be you can almost gurantee at least a 2' chop coming into the harbor, and the same thing leaving the harbor.

Our two trips this year the choppiest water was from the Harbor to Rugged Island. Outside the bay was pretty calm, just the rollers.

My experience with the chop there is the afternoon. If you leave early generally its not bad. When you come back in however a few of your teeth will be loose. I fish out there in my small craft and absolutely love it. I wish I didnt live so far now. I will have to really plan in advance to fish there.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.