Thread: Another arbitrary and capricious Board of Game Proposal

Default Another arbitrary and capricious Board of Game Proposal

It appears one Dr. Kimberlee Beckman, a veterinarian with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, has proposed a law banning the use of all domestic animals used in hunting. I grow very weary of such arbitrary and capricious proposals against those of us who employ the use of a gun dog in our hunting, an Amercian tradition dating back to colonial days.

Let's all keep a watchful eye on this one, but be prepared to act.

Thanks for the heads up. Do you know the proposal number or a link where I can read the proposal?

johnny, I don't yet know the proposal number. I received notification via email and it didn't have a number yet. I'm checking on this with ADF&G and will let you know. Hoping that cooler heads at ADF&G thwart this rogue effort before it gets too far, but I wanted everyone to know of it. Apparetnly there was some sort of Anchorage press release on this?

Cool thanks, I would assume that though it may have been written vague/arbitrary, it was not intended to include dogs. I would assume the intention was for domestic farm animals often used as pack animals to prevent disease transmission to sheep, moose etc. I'll keep an eye out for it when they publish the proposals.

That'll never float. Anybody in their right mind knows that a good gun dog helps immensely to prevent waste. And doesn't one of our major regulations pertain to waste?

Well.....then again, I did say "anybody in their right mind".

So we may be in trouble...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_reb View Post
    Cool thanks, I would assume that though it may have been written vague/arbitrary, it was not intended to include dogs. I would assume the intention was for domestic farm animals often used as pack animals to prevent disease transmission to sheep, moose etc. I'll keep an eye out for it when they publish the proposals.
    Funny this should come up since I just came across this article yesterday. The premise blames disease from cattle for the demise of the bison, not over hunting like has been stated so many times that it is now accepted without question:

http://www.petersenshunting.com/featured.../#ixzz27ajuu7xx

Well, I was originally alerted by some folks from Anchorage that a press release about this alleged Board of Game proposal banning the use of dogs in the woods so I started making inquiries with ADF&G. Got a message back today and they say Dr. Beckmann and "the Dept." have made no such proposal. Hmm, interesting. But I think we should remaiin vigilant on such matters.

Here we go again....
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    Apparetnly there was some sort of Anchorage press release on this?
    Nope. Who made the allegations? Anonymous email?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    It appears one Dr. Kimberlee Beckman, a veterinarian with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, has proposed a law banning the use of all domestic animals used in hunting. I grow very weary of such arbitrary and capricious proposals against those of us who employ the use of a gun dog in our hunting, an Amercian tradition dating back to colonial days.

Let's all keep a watchful eye on this one, but be prepared to act.
    Thanks Jim
    Don and crew
    Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
    Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel. Training Versatile Dogs because we hunt it all.
    Memeber of the Alaska Warterfowl Association.