Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New species!!! Black cod...dinkers.

Default New species!!! Black cod...dinkers.

Fished out of Homer looking for kings. Looked fishy but no love. BUT I did find a school of juvenile black cod. Managed to boat two dozen. Meat looks good.

I thought I read here (brown bear maybe?) that the little ones smoke up good. Gonna give it a try!! 12 to 18 inch-ish

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

I've only eaten the little guys once, and that was over a campfire prepared pretty simply. The larger ones are one of my two favorite fish, though, with feeder king being the other. I'm not sure if the younger ones will be as rich, but man, the bigger ones are so rich and oily in the best way possible.

Nice catch, for sure!

Just spent the last couple of days in Homer. Fished the spit for a bit. Didn't realize what they were but caught quite a few of them as well. Pretty good number of nice sized dollies around also. Saw some jumpers, but no love from the salmon.

I caught two little 6 inch dink cod yesterday casting a spoon off the beach towards Ninilchik. I have never caught little ones off the beach like that ever before. And out of 5 tries from the beach this year, not a single halibut bite. Just dink Irish lords. Strange.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Fished out of Homer looking for kings. Looked fishy but no love. BUT I did find a school of juvenile black cod. Managed to boat two dozen. Meat looks good.

I thought I read here (brown bear maybe?) that the little ones smoke up good. Gonna give it a try!! 12 to 18 inch-ish
    Well Rudy, if these are truly black cod then at $24.00 a pound http://www.islandseafoods.com/seafood/alaska-whitefish I'd say ya done good...!!!

But somebody's gonna have to explain to me the difference between grey cod, and black cod (which they say are sablefish and aren't really a cod at all). I went searching around the net for a minute and one site says that black cod have a chin barble which I don't see here. I've always thought these to be just plain old grey, or pacific cod.

Can somebody line me out?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Well Rudy, if these are truly black cod then at $24.00 a pound http://www.islandseafoods.com/seafood/alaska-whitefish I'd say ya done good...!!!

But somebody's gonna have to explain to me the difference between grey cod, and black cod (which they say are sablefish and aren't really a cod at all). I went searching around the net for a minute and one site says that black cod have a chin barble which I don't see here. I've always thought these to be just plain old grey, or pacific cod.

Well, a "black cod" really isn't a cod at all. They're sablefish, and in a family with only a couple other related species. Pacific cod have the chin barbel, and sablefish don't.

Sablefish: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sablefish

Neat deep water video of some: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nej83FV-ecs

Yeah, he got sablefish and is gonna be eating GOOD!

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    I thought I read here (brown bear maybe?) that the little ones smoke up good.
    You betcha!!!!! Fillet skin on, light brine, very light smoke (golden brown), basically still raw when you're done. Then go ahead and cook them as you would raw fish. Our fave is to combine big chunks of potatoes, cabbage and onions in a pot, barely cover with water. Cook till 90% done, then lay the smoked black cod on top and cover until the black cod is done. Holy cow.... All those sweet black cod oils dropping into the broth. Also love them grilled for breakfast along with a bowl of rice and whatever else. That's about enough to make me buy one of those little charcoal hibachis just for breakfast cooking!

Of course, you can always continue cooking in the smoker until done, then enjoy as any other smoked fish for snacks, etc. We're not much for snacking, but that doesn't take a thing away from the great taste.

Default New species!!! Black cod...dinkers.

Thanks brown bear!! Fillets look just like mini black cod fillets. Found one worm out of 24 fish. Easy to spot very clean.

Fellow kayaker said he ran into a zillion., ok, a lot out of Seward but didn't know what they were until he saw the post.

Thanks HomerDave for the ID assistance. I can't wait to try them!!

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post

No barbel on a black cod (sablefish)

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Nice catches, Rudy! do you recall the depth you were fishing these?

Let us know how they taste.

Steve

Huh, both of the 6 inch dinks I got DID have the chin barbel.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy View Post
    Nice catches, Rudy! do you recall the depth you were fishing these?

Let us know how they taste.

Steve
    I was in 100 ft of water and they were about 20 ft down. I was just chunking bits of herring on my two hook salmon trolling rig.

After hooking one or two, others would be swarming around them. Must be quite a few of them. These fish were 12 to 18 inches long. I don't recall seeing a barbel on the chin.

They sure look like these here:
    http://www.fishwatch.gov/seafood_pro.../sablefish.htm

I was catching them from shore at the end of the spit during low tide. Casting a coho killer with a 1oz weight above a 3' leader worked well. Glad you posted this and now wish I had kept them. They had vermiculations on their backs not unlike a brook trout which I thought was interesting. I'll remember this for the next time I'm down there.

Rudy,

Maybe the two dinks with the barbel were indeed P-Cod but looking at your stringer...you definitely don't have a stringer of plain ole' Pacific Cod.

The telltale besides the barbel is the tail. The Sablefish (Black Cod) has a forked tail....the P-Cod has a flat tail.

Here's one I dredged up last fall. They taste okay to me...a little bit oilier than Halibut which I prefer over p-cod. If I can't get any 'butt this fall, then I can always dredge up p-cod. With a yak this fall I will be able to hit the kelp beds and pinnacles nearby each day after getting my 6 Coho.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy View Post
    Rudy,

Maybe the two dinks with the barbel were indeed P-Cod but looking at your stringer...you definitely don't have a stringer of plain ole' Pacific Cod.

The telltale besides the barbel is the tail. The Sablefish (Black Cod) has a forked tail....the P-Cod has a flat tail.

Here's one I dredged up last fall. They taste okay to me...a little bit oilier than Halibut which I prefer over p-cod. If I can't get any 'butt this fall, then I can always dredge up p-cod. With a yak this fall I will be able to hit the kelp beds and pinnacles nearby each day after getting my 6 Coho.
    **DISREGARD** I misss read your post!! HAHA.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Huh, both of the 6 inch dinks I got DID have the chin barbel.
    If that's the case, you had a pacific cod, not a sablefish. The juveniles can look pretty similar.

Sunday I picked up a couple about 15 miles out from the spit. Sonar showed quite a few and the cleaned the halibut hooks of herring and octopus. Wasn't sure that they weren't pcod and tossed them back but they had no barbel and they're mouth seemed smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    No barbel on a black cod (sablefish)

Also, the sablefish have only two dorsal fins where the pacific cod have three. probably the quickest way to id them. correct me if i'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by baitfish22 View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong....
    Don't worry, around here you'll likely get corrected even when you're right.😜😜
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

So an update. I froze mine since I didn't have time to deal with them. But I gave some to my dad who is a fish snob of sorts. He proclaimed them DELICIOUS!! Just like the big ones with maybe a slightly milder taste which he attributed to over cooking as the fillets were super thin.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast