Thread: articulating flesh fly: best way to fish them?

Default articulating flesh fly: best way to fish them?

Any advice or tips on this? What do you prefer to fish this time of year in south central trout streams?

Release Lake Trout

If you are truly imitating flesh, DEAD DRIFT.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Trout like to hang out under logs, cut banks, and other deep dark places. Flesh dead drifted is the natural presentation. But getting your fly to where the trout are sometimes requires a swing or tightline drift to get it in the zone. I prefer the latter 2 methods as you feel the take fully, but I fish however they want it.

This time of year you can have success with a variety of things; flesh, sculpins, big leaches, fry, smolt, nymphs, dry's, and even mice. It's all about putting your fly in their face.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Drift it right behind a big school of salmon, especially where there is some cover where rainbows like to hide out, and hang on for the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Trout like to hang out under logs, cut banks, and other deep dark places. Flesh dead drifted is the natural presentation. But getting your fly to where the trout are sometimes requires a swing or tightline drift to get it in the zone. I prefer the latter 2 methods as you feel the take fully, but I fish however they want it.

This time of year you can have success with a variety of things; flesh, sculpins, big leaches, fry, smolt, nymphs, dry's, and even mice. It's all about putting your fly in their face.
    I was trying big articulating leeches last week and jus could not get a strike, tried nymphs and that was also a bummer, finally tied on a fleshy type fly and caught grayling! Only was hooking trout on dry #12 skeeters! It was a weird day. Kept one trout to eat and checked it stomach and it was stuff full of the little stick? Looking larvae? About 1\2-3/4" long i can't find a match to it anywhere

Release Lake Trout

Possibly caddis larvae?

Sticks or stones... they'll use whatever's available...

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD