Thread: need fishing advise

Default need fishing advise

Hello Gentleman,
    I'm coming up for vacation and bringing my wife. I want to spend several days camping and fishing.
    I don't know anything about fishing Alaska. I would love to catch a King (no problem with catch and release), and a few sockeye to eat at camp and take home.
    I'll land in Anchorage and rent a truck on the 8th of July. A few questions I have are;
    1) Where to go? Kenai, copper center, Susitna river? Would love any suggestions.
    2) What lures/bait?
    3) techniques?
    4) I fish alot here at home, but have very little experience fishing in Alaska. How successful am I likely to be?
    5) Should I consider Hiring a guide? Is it necessary?

Thanks for any input,
    Stuart

If anything, you're best chance at putting a big smile on your face (and your wife's) would be through hiring a guide. I can't say much about any in particular, but I know that a vacation in Alaska would be made exponentially better with successful fishing.

I have been looking up guides all day. I'm trying to figure out the best way to go. From talking to guides, it seems that catching King salmon is a hit or miss thing. You might fish all day and not even get a hit. Is that about right? From talking with several different guides, it seems about 50/50.
    The guides seem to be telling a different story about sockeye. They say it's not to hard to catch a limit of them. But after reading a few threads on here last night, I'm not sure I want to fish for reds. Too much controversy. Is flossing legal? Is a fish hooked in the mouth from the outside in a snag? Does "hooked in the mouth" mean "inside the mouth"? I don't want to get mixed up in all that.
    If I go for King Salmon, where should I look for a guide at? I have talked with a couple on the Lower Kenai, one on the Little Su, and one on the Kasilof. I'm getting the impression that the best chance for success is the Lower Kenai. Does that sound right?

You might want to consider a combo trip for kings and halibut on the saltwater. Feeder kings are generally a bit smaller than those in the river, but way tastier. Call Josh Brooks (Brooks Alaska Adventures) and see if he has space available. You can't go wrong with Josh.

As for reds, don't stress too much about what you've read here. Flossing is legal. You'll be a little early for the big push on the Kenai, but depending on how long you're here you should be fine. I'd go and watch people for a half hour first. Figure out what the successful ones are doing, then go to Trustworthy Hardware there in Soldotna and get setup with basic coho flies and splitshot.

Thanks for that Brian. I'll call Mr. Brooks this evening

Default need fishing advise

Absolutely. As for guides in general, I'd think that kings in general and rainbows on the Kenai are the only freshwater fisheries where you'd really need a guide. Saltwater, well, that goes without saying.

If you've got the time, you might also want to consider checking out grayling on the Denali Highway. Totally different experience - small fish, spectacular views, almost always completely alone.

Plan on fishing 2-3 days and spending 3 days backpacking through Denali National Park, so I'll try the grayling up that way, too. We caught a bunch of grayling on a moose hunt a few years back. Fun fishing! Left a message with Josh Brooks as well.

The peninsula will be a busy place but is a must visit. As Brian said watching others for a little while will show you what you need to do. Even if the Reds haven't made a big push yet there will still be chances to catch them, you'll just have to put in a little more time and effort. I'll put a plug in for Ross and Kim over at riddles fishing lodge. They know fish and hospitality. I'm not sure if they have any openings but they could take care of your lodging and fishing needs while down there.

Definitely bring a little collapsible rod for your backpacking trip. Should be able to get in to some grayling or rainbows.
    Feel free to pm me if you want anymore information

Josh