Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pots gone

Default Pots gone

After a red run to Chitna I went out to check my pots today. Nothing! Went up and down the shore 4 times, in close, out, for about three miles up and back looking. Nothing! Two buoys, 1,200 of lead line, five Lauder pots. they are in an area where drifting is very unlikely and I have never had an issue. Nothing new in Valdez. It happens several times a year where people steal shrimp gear.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Sorry to hear this Davinthebush. What has gotten into people here??? Pot thieves are prevalent anymore in Whittier and Valdez. Seems to be a common event in Whittier. It sucks you can't hardly shrimp without being tied off to your corks anymore. I can't stand thieves! Freakin' low life POS's! Too many people in today's society want something for nothing. Not going to go into the politics that I believe are serious contributing factors there. Hell! Now there are looters in the fire zones!!! How low can one get?? Hanging is too good for 'em!!!! <rant over>

I will say that one time we lost pots to a massive drifting tree. Our pots were gone and we spent six hours looking. Finally saw our buoys up within 10 feet of shore a couple miles from where we set them. The buoy line was wrapped in a huge tree that was bobbing mostly just under the surface, and the line was frayed and broke just a bit below that. Sucked to lose them, but at least that one time they weren't stolen.

I know there are pot thieves out there - no doubt about it and that's likely what happened to you - but sometimes things we don't see occur in the ocean that aren't related to people. Either way, I hope you get your gear back, Dave.

****. That sucks Dave. We lost ours last year in whittier and it hurts the pocket book for sure. But if you buy new ones, try out Steves pots. We lots his and switched to the ladner round ones and regret doing so. Steves are so much better and easier to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I have used Steve's before and lost them last year. Stuck on the bottom on something that won't move. Had to cut them loose. OUCH.

Hey Steve do you give discounts to disabled military??

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I have used Steve's before and lost them last year. Stuck on the bottom on something that won't move. Had to cut them loose. OUCH.

Hey Steve do you give discounts to disabled military??
    only if you bring cash. Dave are you using float rope between pots ?? Another trick that helps is to run up the line while you haul that way your not dragging the gear across the bottom into a hang, only need to keep running up till you get aprox 2/3rds of the buoyline up because by then most to the string of gear is hanging straight up & down anyway.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Bummer you lost your pots. On our last trip out I caught a seiner sitting g about 50 ft from my bouy.,it stopped moving toward it as soon as I headded for the pot. I went right past and pulled the next string and gave him time to move on before I went to get the others. I can't say they were going to pull my pots but it was very fishy.. As it was the next day when in a completely different location another seiner was doing the same.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I did a 6 mile search today and nothing. Then noticed my amperage was low. Blown belt!!! So back to port and removed the water hoses, one bracket, another belt and I am back on the water tomorrow to expand the search.

I just run 1200 feet of lead line. I have tried poly before but found it lacking in strength and if you hang them up, the pot puller burns through it like butter.

May be over Steve. I get a discount from a Anchorage retailer so I will see.

I did a 6 mile search today and nothing. Then noticed my amperage was low. Blown belt!!! So back to port and removed the water hoses, one bracket, another belt and I am back on the water tomorrow to expand the search.

I just run 1200 feet of lead line. I have tried poly before but found it lacking in strength and if you hang them up, the pot puller burns through it like butter.

I couldn't bust my floating rope with my boat, its rated at aprox 2600lbs, don't know what your using. I'm 99.9% sure nobody else sells the float rope i have( it aint Chinese or Taiwanese made).

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I feel your pain....been there before. However, don't try to save a few bucks on pots, Steve's are the best. I could go on but I think you already know this.
    Suck it up and buy the good gear.

I think I'm on my 4th set of gear due to thieves, my mistakes, more of my errors, and another couple to me being a dumbass again. It hurts but you won't look back once you do it.
    Good luck.
    Bk

Dave,

Steve is correct about the strength of that poly floating line. We pulled the back end of our boat underwater and it still wouldn't give up...

IceKing

Security over at the oil terminal re-set my pots out into legal shrimping waters. Apparently they traveled North for about a mile, turned West for about two miles then headed south again until they hit bottom in the security zone. Doing all this avoiding about 5-6 other pot sets too. Interesting travels. But I have them back.

Security over at the oil terminal re-set my pots out into legal shrimping waters. Apparently they traveled North for about a mile, turned West for about two miles then headed south again until they hit bottom in the security zone. Doing all this avoiding about 5-6 other pot sets too. Interesting travels. But I have them back.
    Awesome!!! I had one of my sets float this year. Same spot I have fished for over 10 years, lucky mine only drifted a mile or so.

Glad you got your gear back.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Good news glad you got them back.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Great news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

This AM we found a float holding a LOT of weight in Valdez Harbor 1.5 miles off Allison Point in 900 ft of water. Belonged to an individual named Dibbler 907-835-0288 from Valdez according to the float info. Called the number and got a "not a working number" recording. Tried to find him in the Valdez directory and no luck. Unfortunately, when I tried to lift the string, it was WAY too heavy for me or my Scotty puller so we had to leave it. Should I have done anything else???

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    This AM we found a float holding a LOT of weight in Valdez Harbor 1.5 miles off Allison Point in 900 ft of water. Belonged to an individual named Dibbler 907-835-0288 from Valdez according to the float info. Called the number and got a "not a working number" recording. Tried to find him in the Valdez directory and no luck. Unfortunately, when I tried to lift the string, it was WAY too heavy for me or my Scotty puller so we had to leave it. Should I have done anything else???
    John,
    try the harbormaster ? might have some info ?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    Could you have towed it until it grounded?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I looked in the Valdez directory and see nothing. No Dibber, no 0288, nothing.

Harbormaster was a good Idea I hadn't thought of. Turns out they had a report of the missing string, and another boater had also reported it. Someone went out and brought them in and they are back in the hands of the proper owner. No explanation of the lack of a phone contact or info in the Valdez directory, but the Harbormaster was happy with who they belonged to, so it all worked out. He said if someone reports finding a string floating they will send someone out to retrieve them.

I only have a 14' inflatable and it would have been until about next Thursday before I was able to tow a string that heavy to anywhere. If there's ever another occurrence I'll know to raise the Harbormaster on the radio.

Thanks for the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast