Thread: Durable Outdoor Digital Camera

Question Durable Outdoor Digital Camera

Anyone have a recommendation for a digital camera soley for taking hunting/hiking/fishing? Something that, dare I say it, may even be durable? Is water resistant out of the question? All the cameras I have seen look vulnerable outdoors.

Tim

I've got an Olympus Stylus 410 that I've had for several years. It is weatherproof, light and fits in my shirt pocket. I have used it in the rain, carried it in a pocket and pulled it out covered with condensation and it works great.

Default Price, availability?

Snyd,
    I briefly researched your recommendation and I found some specs online about the camera, but was still wondering if it has a timer, how long the battery lasts, and about how much does it cost?

BTW, sad to say but for years I have only used cheap $5 disposable cameras on hunts, and in 18 years of commercial fishing I only brought a disposable once. I have a nice Canon Rebel (35 mm) that I bought in Germany when I was in the Army, but its too bulky, heavy and sensitive to take hunting.

Thanks,
    Tim

Yes it has a timer AND a little remote control. I suppose the battery life depends on what you are doing, Lithium Ion though. The camera has the lcd display and I guess if you spend a lot of time looking at your pics or video clips you will use it up faster. You can turn it off and just use the viewfinder to take pics. I used it on my 12 day trip last year and took about 40 pics, looked at them a few times on the trip and had to prob with the battery.

The little remote is really slick. I use it more than the timer, no need to push the button and run. I would guess it has about a 25-30ft range.

My wife bought me mine about 3 or 4 years ago at Sams Club for 300 bucks I think. It came with 32mb card and I still haven't gotten a bigger one.

I would check with Doug at Cameraland. He sell Olympus, has great prices that include shipping to Alaska.

The Olympus 720 SW or 770 SW would be more good options. The 770 SW is billed as the worlds most durable digital camera.
    http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?product=1287.

Fuji's new Big Job HD-3W looks even tougher though.
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0706/07...fujibigjob.asp

Default Pentax Optio WR

I've used a Pentax Option 33WR for going on 4 years now. Its water proof up to a few yards and very durable.

It has survived several week long river trips tucked into the front pocket of my PFD while kayaking class III - IV water, desert sands, melting snow in my jacket pockets, snorkeling (with movies) and countless accidental drops.

The underwater movies are very cool. The manual does not recommend this but I've always just pushed the start button above the surface and then submerged it in the water with no problems. As long as you don't go too deep. Too deep being no deeper than ~10 feet.

I have to admit, mine does show the wear, and I'm thinking its time to upgrade myself, but it still works. They now make a higher resolution version now but they changed the housing so I can't say if the durability is the same.

This durability and ‘water-proofness’ does come with its limitations. It only has a 3x optical zoom and the picture quality is not the best but I probably have twice as many pictures because of the fact that I can keep it exposed to the elements (i.e. handy). For my uses, the durability and ‘water-proofness’ are probably the only reason I still have a functional camera.

It has full features (timer, etc.) and it runs on AA batteries. I personally like that it runs on AA b/c they're the same batteries my GPS run on, you can buy high quality rechargeables and if you need to you can always grab some at the store.

Hope that helps.

Default d-camera

My wife and I are doing a 10 day float and I did some research and decided on the new Olympus 770SW. It boasts water, shock, and temp proof. I don't think that you can go wrong with it.

pentax, the best all around camera for hunting and fishing, water proof,i believe you can take pictures up to 8 or 10 feet down,fits in your pocket....quality pic....if i can use this camera its user friendly.....

Sony cybershot (5.1 mega pixel w/ 3x optic zoom) with the carl ziess lens, it very small and I put it in a pelican size 1010 micro case, fully water proofed and sturdy, dropped it many times and still going. ...K

I like my little HP Photosmart. It has covers that slide over the lens and openings. It's also not very expensive, so if it gets destroyed it's not the end of the world. That said I've abused mine badly and it still keeps on ticking.

Check NRS. Their website is nrsweb.com. They have a waterproof digital camera around 130.00 I have been looking at getting. Relatively cheap and I am sure basic-but rugged.They are a paddle sports company and have great customer service.

People have been recommending the Olympus camera model that I've had my eyes on, so I don't have much to add other than that many digital cameras have waterproof/water-resistant cases available; I have a Canon Powershot with a nice case that can be used for scuba diving. Last I checked at Sony, they sometimes had two cases available for many camera models: a waterproof diving case as well as a less-expensive, more compact splash-proof case.

I've found that the waterproof case for my Powershot is very bulky, but it lets me access all of the controls and also has a mount for a tripod.

Default Olympus

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I've got an Olympus Stylus 410 that I've had for several years. It is weatherproof, light and fits in my shirt pocket. I have used it in the rain, carried it in a pocket and pulled it out covered with condensation and it works great.
    Have the same thing, take it out year round rain or shine, winter, spring, summer, fall.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default Pentax w20

I got a Pentax W20 waterproof camera recently for an upcoming SW float trip. I have not tested it fully yet, but in average conditions, it took some great photos. I think it would be perfect for any outdoorsman. Fully waterproof is why I got it. I got mine from Wolf Camera, but I am sure Best Buy would sell it as well. Take a look.

Default Pentax Optio

Waterproof (I took mine snorkeling in Hawaii)

Full featured.......

I like the lithium batteries

I got one on ebay WITH an extra battery for a little over $200

Camera with 2 batteries and a 1 gig card should be good for well over 100 pics .........

Default Olympus C-770

I know it's only a mid-range priced camera (around $400 I think) and I don't guess it's very water resistant, but it's super tough and takes great pics. 4.0 megapixels and 10x optical zoon (40x seamless). It really does zoom in big time, and you can buy an adapter deal that zooms in even more. Comes with its own battery and battery charger so you don't have to worry about buying overpriced rechargeable batteries that end up getting lost.

But it's pretty large compared to the average digitial camera.... But that's the way I want it (harder to lose).