Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A "PISTOL"......What is a PISTOL, What is a HANDGUN....???? and WHY...???

Default A "PISTOL"......What is a PISTOL, What is a HANDGUN....???? and WHY...???

It is all in the title........

NOTE: I do NOT know the definitive empirical answer, mostly looking for discussion and education.

Pistols hold the round in the barrel chamber,1911,TC,flintlock.Revolvers,well they revolve and hold the cartridge in a cylinder in most all cases. Handguns or hand cannons are weapons that are designed to be fired just using a hand which include pistols and revolvers. A bolt action handgun is a pistol.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks...........

One last question: In the old days it seems to me that pistol referred to a revolver, this was before self-loading firearms. Is this correct......??? If that is correct, then what caused the change. At what date in history did some entity say, "Hence'forth this shall be called a revolver, and this shall be called a pistol "........????

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Pistols hold the round in the barrel chamber,1911,TC,flintlock.Revolvers,well they revolve and hold the cartridge in a cylinder in most all cases. Handguns or hand cannons are weapons that are designed to be fired just using a hand which include pistols and revolvers. A bolt action handgun is a pistol.

Interesting related reading (Short read)........https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol

Amigo Will covered everything I understood about the differences and I have not a clue when things changed. Where I spent lots of time in Latin America- there was just one term for them all- 'pistola'. And the term for the user was 'pistolero' which is one who uses the pistol (equates to handgunner).

I use the word pistol to include self-loaders, revolvers and single shot handguns. However my Brain has a hard time with AR-platform firearms without a buttstock being pistols. I understand it's legal classification, but it is hard for me to look an AR10 with a 20" barrel and no buttstock and think pistol. My brain thinks rifle that the buttstock "FELL" off of. Do know if any of that makes any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    Amigo Will covered everything I understood about the differences and I have not a clue when things changed. Where I spent lots of time in Latin America- there was just one term for them all- 'pistola'. And the term for the user was 'pistolero' which is one who uses the pistol (equates to handgunner).

You guys are making this way too complicated!!......

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Way down south in the land of cotton........

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    You guys are making this way too complicated!!......

.....I think I woulda just whistled dixie.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I use the word pistol to include self-loaders, revolvers and single shot handguns. However my Brain has a hard time with AR-platform firearms without a buttstock being pistols. I understand it's legal classification, but it is hard for me to look an AR10 with a 20" barrel and no buttstock and think pistol. My brain thinks rifle that the buttstock "FELL" off of. Do know if any of that makes any sense.
    I have a hard time considering those 'rifles with pistol grips' anything other than that and don't consider them pistols. I had a wonderful pistol gripped T/C 45/70 with 16" barrel and 4x Lupy on it and I never considered it anything other than a handgun although technically a pistol I suppose. All in semantics after a while (IMHO).

Starting in 1831 Colt called it a revolver and first sold were really around 1835 as Colts new patent revolver.During the war of northern aggression many still carried flint and cap lock pistols.The first semi auto was build in the early 1890's and the Luger the first big success. S&W had the patent on cartridge cylinders and thats why Colt had to wait so long to make them.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Interesting related reading (Short read)........https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol
    You do realize anyone with membership can post whatever they like on Wikipedia, doesn't even have to be true.
    Steve

I'm stickin with Josie on this one.....
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I'm stickin with Josie on this one.....
    Either that, or get to whistlin'......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    You do realize anyone with membership can post whatever they like on Wikipedia, doesn't even have to be true.
    Steve
    Yes and no. Generally there is a review process, which you lose. India holds the trump card. I once had the founder step in to get our Planetarium listed for its rightful place in history.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    I have a hard time considering those 'rifles with pistol grips' anything other than that and don't consider them pistols. I had a wonderful pistol gripped T/C 45/70 with 16" barrel and 4x Lupy on it and I never considered it anything other than a handgun although technically a pistol I suppose. All in semantics after a while (IMHO).
    So does that mean a defense shotgun with a pistol grip is a pistol not a shotgun? And if so is it a pistol or handgun?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

OK, I can clear this up for you.

If it's not a Revolver, it's a Pistol, and both Revolver and Pistols are Handguns.

Any kind of AR is a "PLATFORM".

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

And if someone dies its an assault weapon just like a pencil through the eye an into the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by mhhunter76 View Post
    So does that mean a defense shotgun with a pistol grip is a pistol not a shotgun? And if so is it a pistol or handgun?
    That would be a pistol gripped shotgun. A pistol configured T/C crack-barrel that can shoot 410 shotshells is a handgun in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Steve
    A true and ironic statement you made here.

I suppose this same sentiment can be applied to not just Wikipedia, but also to other online forums. Even this beloved Outdoors Directory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast