Thread: Trout disease?

Default Trout disease?

I was fly fishing in Little Campbell Creek Monday evening (felt like escaping the combat zones for an evening) and caught a very nice sized rainbow about 16" long. Fought well, seemed well fed, but the fish's scales on both sides were raised up, giving the trout a very rough texture. The sides were also covered in a foamy looking mucus. Otherwise the fish seemed fine, no discoloration, no visible wounds or sores. It really seemed like the fish had just had its scales rubbed the wrong direction. I tried Googling this and came up with nothing.

Has anybody else seen this before and do you know what causes it?

Quote Originally Posted by burdman30ott6 View Post
    I was fly fishing in Little Campbell Creek Monday evening (felt like escaping the combat zones for an evening) and caught a very nice sized rainbow about 16" long. Fought well, seemed well fed, but the fish's scales on both sides were raised up, giving the trout a very rough texture. The sides were also covered in a foamy looking mucus. Otherwise the fish seemed fine, no discoloration, no visible wounds or sores. It really seemed like the fish had just had its scales rubbed the wrong direction. I tried Googling this and came up with nothing.

Has anybody else seen this before and do you know what causes it?
    It could be a number of various things due to excessive mucus. My first thought would be Myxobolus squamalis.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/sp...sease_book.pdf
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

They sometimes pick up bacteria and fungus when they are done spawning from rubbing their bodies in the rocks. It also could have been caught and it slime coating damaged then released and it picked up the same type of bacteria.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like furunculosis to me. Pretty common problem in hatcheries, and they fight it. I'm guessing that was a hatchery fish, but I know zip about Little Cambell and whether it's stocked.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Sounds like furunculosis to me. Pretty common problem in hatcheries, and they fight it. I'm guessing that was a hatchery fish, but I know zip about Little Cambell and whether it's stocked.
    The symptoms don't fit for Furunculosis. Lethargy, loss of appetite, lesions, and swelling are symptoms of Frunculosis.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

There have been no incidents of Furunculosis or any other treatable disease at the hatchery since they moved into the new facility a few years back. Putting everything under a roof to keep out animals and people has really paid off in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    It could be a number of various things due to excessive mucus. My first thought would be Myxobolus squamalis.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/sp...sease_book.pdf
    That actually looks like a possible culprit, except the images I'm finding of that show spots on a fish, this was the fish's entire sides.

If I run into this again I think I'll keep the fish and take a drive over to F&G.