Thread: Bullet Too Heavy?

Default Bullet Too Heavy?

I have a shorty SRH in 454 casull and have question about it's ability to take heavy loads. I know it is a very stout gun and is meant to take a beating but after feeding it a couple 370 g WNFP GC Alaskan Backpackers the bullets jumped crimp and the chamber locked up. It's obvious the bullet was meant for an FA or something that could tame the recoil a little better but will it harm the pistol? I am going to the range tomorrow to shoot the rest of them and thought I might hold off or just buy some lighter loads if I risk ruining my gun. Any advice on a max weight bullet for this caliber for bear defense?

Thumbs up Sierra 300 FP

The standard WW 300gr SP by Winchester is plenty for bear. I handloaded the Sierra 300 FP with W296 in my FA.

I went thru the Hardcast LBT years ago and quit using them after long trail jobs.........after I went to the Sierra 300gr FP bears went down quick!
    Alaska

The problem is an inadequate crimp, not the gun. If they back out in the SRH, they would back out in the Freedom Arms.
    In my humble opinion, Alaska Backpackers should replace that box of ammo for you.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Talking

I do not think it is a question or not if your revolver can handle the loads .You just need a heavy crimp on the bullets .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Talking

Vance
    Boy you are quick !!!!!!!

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Ranger Rick,

How'd your spring Kodiak brown bear hunt go this year? Get one with your pistol?

Surprisingly I shot 6 rounds today and they did not jump crimp. The pistol revolved flawlessly. There must have been just a few bad ones in the bunch. Has anyone ever had this problem with great land ammo? Would the couple of bad crimps justify the manufacture to compensate me with a new box? I would have hated to have that happen when it really counted, like if I had to use it on a charging bear! After all that is why I bought the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by senecanation View Post
    Surprisingly I shot 6 rounds today and they did not jump crimp. The pistol revolved flawlessly. There must have been just a few bad ones in the bunch. Has anyone ever had this problem with great land ammo? Would the couple of bad crimps justify the manufacture to compensate me with a new box? I would have hated to have that happen when it really counted, like if I had to use it on a charging bear! After all that is why I bought the gun.
    If only a few jumped out then I would say that the brass was not properly
    trimmed before crimping. Over all length (OAL) is very important, all the brass
    being used should always be the same OAL in order for the crimp to do it's job. Take a look at the ammo you have and carefully look at the crimp area, they should all be the same, if not, return them, it's your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by senecanation View Post
    Yeah, that would be typical. The only one to jump crimp is the one that locks up the cylinder when you need it most. (Murphy's Law of bullet crimp.)

I think that CP 370 grain WLNGC that they use has a dual crimp groove so it can be seated out a little farther in guns with longer cylinders and leave more room for powder. Those two crimp grooves are both quite shallow. They do not crimp in very solidly. I could not get enough crimp on that bullet to keep it in my FA revolver. There is a Cast Performance 360 WLNGC, and a BearTooth 355 WLNGC, that are deeper crimp grooves and will hold better. You could recrimp any unfired rounds to gain some advantage but I would never trust the load.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I talked to the manufacture the other day and he agreed to compensate me with a free box of lighter loads. Apparently he had 4 or 5 other complaints about the 370 grainer's in the shorter barreled pistols and now he is putting a warning label on the boxes. I don't know about any other calibers but keep your eyes open for the AK backpacker with the 454's and look for the warnings. I would hate to read about someone getting mauled by a bear this summer because their cylinder locked up.