Thread: Glennallen or Chitina dip netting??

Default Glennallen or Chitina dip netting??

I want to go dip netting either the glennallen or chitina, but I have never been dipping there before. I have dipped the kenai and kasilof last year from shore, since we don't have a boat. Can a person dip from shore on either the glennallen area or the chitina area? We have a 5' diameter 10' long dip net we use for kenai/kasilof, will it work OK on either the glennallen/chitina areas or do I need a smaller, longer net? Also where would be the best access to either area for a truck camper? Is there camping close to the fishing areas? I don't think I'm interested in trying to dip net on sheer rocky banks. Are there shores/beach areas to dip net from? Any help, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by chevy88girl View Post
    I want to go dip netting either the glennallen or chitina, but I have never been dipping there before. I have dipped the kenai and kasilof last year from shore, since we don't have a boat. Can a person dip from shore on either the glennallen area or the chitina area? We have a 5' diameter 10' long dip net we use for kenai/kasilof, will it work OK on either the glennallen/chitina areas or do I need a smaller, longer net? Also where would be the best access to either area for a truck camper? Is there camping close to the fishing areas? I don't think I'm interested in trying to dip net on sheer rocky banks. Are there shores/beach areas to dip net from? Any help, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
    Every single one of these questions has been answered on this forum multiple times. Do a search. Or better yet, hook up the camper and have an adventure, explore the great unknown and learn a few things by first hand experience.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Smile Dippin Chitina or Glennallen?

Quote Originally Posted by chevy88girl View Post
    I am headed to Chitina for the first time in 40 years! Want to escape the Kenai, Kasilof madness. Hope I am not just trading it for another kind.
    We dip Saturday and I'll post how it went when I get home Sunday.
    Cheers
    Flash

You'll want a smaller net and I would do Chitina Personal Use if you are going from shore - way more options. Watched some people trying to dip from shore last week above the bridge and it did not look productive or fun. I wouldn't do the Glennallen permit unless you have a boat.

Mike put a whole lot of work into 'splainig things on his Dipnetting section. Just for you, BTW.

Sent from my S50 using Tapatalk

First timers fish an game has put together a couple wonderful videos showing how to sweep ...an how to fish eddies an the gear ....a must if it's your first time

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    Every single one of these questions has been answered on this forum multiple times. Do a search. Or better yet, hook up the camper and have an adventure, explore the great unknown and learn a few things by first hand experience.
    ok so back from the copper river about empty handed. Guess we just picked a bad time. We dipped from a boat and got one little fish in 5 hours.
    If you can stand the crowds the kenai fish are bigger and prettier.
    The nets are smaller, handles longer when dipping from shore. There was parking in the campgrounds. Folks were driving 4 wheel drive vehicles close to the river.
    I heard the morning run was great.. We just picked a bad day.
    Would try again from shore.. $550 bucks to dip is steep although we did like our guide and he sure knew how to run the boat. The river is much swifter and has more crazy currents than the kenia. Boats drift sideways or backwards.
    Hope where ever you go you have good luck.
    Be careful

Sorry u didn't do better ...I'm guessing you went above the bridge ...there's a lot more areas and ways to fish below the bridge...the last two years fish have been really big....this year it's been really varied between some really big ones and bunch of really small ones...its a real crapshoot when to go.......I have a saying if I can get just one fish I can have a wonderful camping trip...if I get a bunch I can be set for the winter...

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Francis View Post
    .....I have a saying...
    You have a saying, "If you don't put your net in the water, you won't catch any fish."

and I'm saying right now...I better plan my next trip so I can get my net in the water....I need to can a buncha unsmoked fish....and I want to get a few more for the freezer......hope I hear a few more fish reports to help me make my plans

Quote Originally Posted by beautysMistress View Post
    ok so back from the copper river about empty handed. Guess we just picked a bad time. We dipped from a boat
    .. $550 bucks to dip is steep although we did like our guide and he sure knew how to run the boat.
    Wow. Who did you go with?

sorry for late post. I prefer not to say as it is probably bad advertising for him. no one else was catching so I can't say I blame the guide. Might try again next year and just have someone drop us off up river. Won't hurt the pocketbook so badly
    cheers
    Flash