Thread: Motor Spacing ?

Default Motor Spacing ?

Im about ready to install my motors and had a few people tell me 24 inch on center spacing is where my Yamaha 200 I6s (left and right hand) need to be. GC used a template and marked for holes at about a 34 on center spacing.
    My question is, where did you all put yours? What is standard?

Overtime: I don't own a Glacier Craft but I do have a 10' X 34' EagleCraft with twin Suzuki DF-300s.

What is the width of your boat?

When I had the boat built I did not even think about or discuss engine spacing with the builder. I am not at the boat right now but the CAD drawings of the boat show the engines are 27". I have seen boats with 26" to 40". In this article it states ABYC standard for V6 Four strokes is 27" http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...eMounting.html. I am not really sure there is a "Standard" that works for all boats.

COMMENTS: In THEORY closer engine spacing will result in a greater top speed but in fact it will DECREASE slow spec maneuverability in the harbor and around the dock. This closer the engine spacing the less effect differential thrust will have - the wider the more. Just watch a catamaran sometime and see how maneuverable they are a slow speed.

If you are not faced with docking or loading the boat on a trailer when the winds is blowing (The wind always blows in Seward) than engine spacing make not make much difference to you. My wife and I got so tired of fighting the wind when returning to the slip I installed a Bow Thruster - Best money I have spent on the boat!

Since Glacier Craft is an Armstrong design I strongly recommend you contact Armstrong Marine http://armstrongmarine.com/ and talk to Josh Armstrong or one of his folks about your engine spacing questions.

If it were me and I could not get any consistent answers I would opt for a wider engine spacing - 34" does not seem excessive.

Hope this helps.

SB

Talking with the builder (the new builder, that WILL finish it) today explained to me the ventilation plate on the outboards can't be to low otherwise you lose performance. So the length of the motors and the hull angle determine where they're spaced. But contacting Armstrong couldn't hurt. Thanks for the idea. It never crossed my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of that is true so it MAY be Scott set the engine spacing to match the height he built the transom and the lower unit height of the engines he was going to use. All that being said it is an ALUMINUM boat and you could always change the transom engine mounting height and/or change the lower units to change their lengths. While this COULD be done I don't think it is necessary or worth the cost.

Another question- Did Scott supply the engines or did you pull the boat before it was finished and are having someone else finish it? I still recommend mounting the engines as wide as practical considering the existing transom height and lower unit length.

Good Luck- I know you could use some!!!

Quote Originally Posted by overtime View Post
    Talking with the builder (the new builder, that WILL finish it) today explained to me the ventilation plate on the outboards can't be to low otherwise you lose performance. So the length of the motors and the hull angle determine where they're spaced. But contacting Armstrong couldn't hurt. Thanks for the idea. It never crossed my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey man, this is correct. The height of the transom and the length of the motor shaft have a direct relationship to the motor spacing. I went with 30" shafts (which usually moves the motors closer together to keep them from being too deep under hull) and a higher transom (to move the motors apart again) because I wanted my motors higher off the water. I am not at the boat right now but I think my spacing is 37" from center to center. I can twist the boat at the dock. I like that ability. If I would have gone with 25" shaft motors they would have been even further apart due to my higher transom but I didn't want them to be that far apart.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I wish I had known this before I purchased my motors only because I would have rather had my motors further out of the water also.

Not all the motors come in a 30" shaft so sometimes that's a deciding factor
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!