Thread: Homer Question

Default Homer Question

This will be my first time going to Homer without someone who has been there before. Every time I have been there we just fish for halibut. I have the whole set up to fish for butts, but I was wondering if there is something else I should target. I haven't targeted any other fish before and have no idea how or where to start. Any simple tips for a starter would be great. Thanks

Kings are caught year round out of homer. Some people on this forum catch them right out of the harbor. Go get u sum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should I just us a #5 Vibrax or something?

I'm pretty sure most of them are caught using a downrigger or diver, trolling cut plug herring or an artificial lure.

Need more info, are you fishing only on the shore, chartering, bringing your own boat????
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by w1a9c8k5 View Post
    Should I just us a #5 Vibrax or something?
    Yes, check the fishing hole on the spit.
    Most Kings are caught trolling.
    Redleader standing by

I'll be on a boat I am renting. 24 footer. I'll have to research trying and such

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

A lot of it depends on the weather. You mention you will be halibut fishing? Do you know generally which way you plan to go? Bluffs? Seldovia? Islands? Bear Cove?

After you fish halibut, look around you and find boats trolling. They by far make the best fish finders. For the most part, they are likely using downriggers but at this time of year, they aren't necessary. I'd use a fairly heavy weight, I like 12 oz banana sinkers but I am on a kayak. Or get a deep six diver. Add a flasher, and rig a green label herring to spin.

I'd troll fairly close to shore, in 25 to 80 ft of water and you'll probably hook up to something. Some of the charter captains I speak with have not only been hitting halibut like crazy, but they are landing every species of salmon right now.

I will be in Homer for a charter 3rd week of July, will there still be King's around that time as a possibility in addition to the halibut/rockfish?

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    A lot of it depends on the weather. You mention you will be halibut fishing? Do you know generally which way you plan to go? Bluffs? Seldovia? Islands? Bear Cove?

After you fish halibut, look around you and find boats trolling. They by far make the best fish finders. For the most part, they are likely using downriggers but at this time of year, they aren't necessary. I'd use a fairly heavy weight, I like 12 oz banana sinkers but I am on a kayak. Or get a deep six diver. Add a flasher, and rig a green label herring to spin.

I'd troll fairly close to shore, in 25 to 80 ft of water and you'll probably hook up to something. Some of the charter captains I speak with have not only been hitting halibut like crazy, but they are landing every species of salmon right now.
    Thanks for chiming in there with the better info. I figured someone would do a good job

Quote Originally Posted by bayman099 View Post
    I will be in Homer for a charter 3rd week of July, will there still be King's around that time as a possibility in addition to the halibut/rockfish?
    Yes they are normally around all year, that should be a good time for Silvers also, hopefully we get flooded with them like last year.
    Redleader standing by

We will start going up to anchor point and heading southeast from there if the halibut aren't biting. I'll go to b &js tomorrow see if they can set me up with what you said above

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk