Thread: Smart to take an RV? Where do I park?

Default Smart to take an RV? Where do I park?

Personally never dipped the Copper but I'm going with guys that have. We want to take my RV to stay over night. Is there a place nearby where the boats are launched that I could park a 35 ft class A? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Was there last weekend w/ pickup camper on west end of bridge. Parked on river bed. Saw class As on east side of river where boat launch. Or at least where boats were. Small campground over there. See new page on Copper River Mike Strahan just created.

Thanks SteveAK!

Quote Originally Posted by akfisheye View Post
    Personally never dipped the Copper but I'm going with guys that have. We want to take my RV to stay over night. Is there a place nearby where the boats are launched that I could park a 35 ft class A? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    I just posted part one of a three-part writeup on the Copper. HERE IS THE LINK. Should find some answers there.

In short, yes. You can bring the covered wagon and circle up just across the bridge to the left. The land ownership in that area is currently in dispute, so for the time being you can camp there for free. There's a regular campground just across the highway there, and there might be some open spots. I saw one pull-through and there might be more. Bring your own firewood, as just about every dead stick within walking distance is gone. And DO NOT build fires anywhere but inside established fire rings! If we've learned anything this year so far, it's how easy wind and fire get along, and you almost always have wind down there. The place is a tinderbox right now, just waiting for a match. I would advise against a fire altogether if you can manage it.

There are other places to park the rig as well, but these two are the most obvious. If you're dragging a car behind, even better.

DO NOT try to take that rig down into the O'Brien Creek area! That last hill is very steep and loose. You might get it down there, but you won't get it back up (just my opinion). Does anyone know the grade of that hill?

Have fun!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks Michael! I checked out the link...great information! That certainly helped and I feel more confident now about taking the land yacht. You guys are doing a great job with the site. Thanks again.