Thread: Winter king fishing in Juneau or SE?

Default Winter king fishing in Juneau or SE?

Giving serious thought to going into practice in SE Alaska once I'm done with law school, and I'm getting ready to book a short trip during Christmas break to see firsthand what the winters up there are like. Kinda leaning towards Juneau, since that's the capital and most likely where I would find legal work.

Is there any worthwhile winter king fishing in Juneau, or is there a better town in SE for this? This of course is assuming that the weather is cooperative in the first place. If not, we'll sightsee and play tourist at the Legislature offices.

I have my boat winterized during this time frame. But I've talked to guys that do get out "IF" weather permits. The winter kings are out there, but it's about 40 rod hours per fish. I have a retired buddy here in Juneau that winter king fishes, but he's only picking one up about every 2-3 trips out. I think winter king fishing is much more productive out on the coast. Say in Sitka for example.

But it's not just winter weather you have to contend with. That time of year you're only getting 6 hours of daylight or so. Basically only enough daylight to fish one tide then get back to port before dark.

Wow! Spending a week in Juenau in December is better than not spending any time there but you really will not get a good idea what winters are like.

Coastal Alaska (Southeast, Kodiak, PWS) is wet and cloudy a lot, summer or winter. How things go during any particular season has more to do with your interests and the community you connect with.

As for winter Kings, they are pretty much everywhere with better fishing in places like Sitka, Kodiak and Homer. If you want good all year fishing I would check out Sitka, Kodiak and Homer. Juneau has a lot to offer but you would have to spend more time and effort finding the sort of fishing you would have in other spots. Ketchikan is another possibility but they are probably the wettest community of them all.

All depends on your personal priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishrock View Post
    All depends on your personal priorities.
    Well, my priority this particular trip would be figuring out employment prospects. If there's no fishing to be had, it's not the end of the world.

Might see if we can spend 3-4 days in Juneau, then take the ferry to Sitka for a couple days and fly home from there just to get fishing time in.

I've caught a lot of kings in the winter in SE. Tough to get too excited about winter fishing when you can slay them in the May-July months, unless you are selling the fish for $10lb with the proper limited entry permit. A good sport fisherman in a outer coast community should be able to catch one every trip or two, sometimes more. Nothing like the fishery out of Homer though. But, it's something to do after hunting season. March and April can be very good.

The winter kings are there, just gotta find them and establish their habits. Best part about late year fishing is that you're deer hunting at the same time (September to End-of-year).

Watch the beach and the depth-finder!

My cousin is in a tour in Afghanistan and will be getting back in November and he was wanting to come up and do some fishing end of the year. Are there charters down there somewhere that would take him out? If so if you can name them also so I can call. As far as hunting I could look it up but off the top anybody know if he could get a tag for deer? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jarsh30 View Post
    My cousin is in a tour in Afghanistan and will be getting back in November and he was wanting to come up and do some fishing end of the year. Are there charters down there somewhere that would take him out? If so if you can name them also so I can call. As far as hunting I could look it up but off the top anybody know if he could get a tag for deer? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll send ya a PM, but yes, he can ge deer tags dependsing on if he's here during deer season wherever you are at the time. Same with Kings, winter Kings, Homer or Kodiak are the places to be. Homer has been kiiler the last fews winters, Kodiak we don't see quite as many but hey are bigger on average with an honest shot at 40+lb kings everyday during winter and Spring.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts