Thread: dry cabin, camping, vacation

Default dry cabin, camping, vacation

Hi all,
    main question first, some info below.
    any of these areas to stay away from or avoid?
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/landsale/o...HCENTRAL#area1
    few key ones i like(close to water source) canyon lake, johnson creek, quartz, kutna, lockwood, etc.
    don't want to venture to far out, as I doubt we will have atv out there to drag any building material not found in nature.

Ive been reading alot of the forum since sunday. I have been thinking about an item on my bucket list, and timing is good.
    I want to come up to alaska and camp on a remote piece of land. try building a dry cabin, log shelter. fish, enjoy the serenity.

I don't have any interest in staying over the winter or trying to relocate. I was thinking about coming up to alaska for a couple weeks or a month, get boots on the ground, and check out the area. Come back next summer, for a month-four month span. My brother getting out of the Army will also be with me.

I imagine I will need to rent a guide, boat. buy a boat(make a freind to hold/sell for me), or figure out some way to navigate the areas I end up zoning in on.

want on lake or next to river stream. or at least have some water source near by. with salmon fishing a walk away.
    property doesn't have to be by a road. too expensive for what is vacation discussed as an long term investment. and a place my brothers their families in the future, parents, might be able to use as vacation/summer retreat.

I have read through this forum a BUNCH, and know very little still

I know I will not be spending more then 10k for 10-20acres.
    most likely it would be a 4-5k property of 5 acres or so.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Before buying any land in Alaska, you want to get a good look at it before you put any money down. It's best to look at it in the Summer, then again in the winter. Some of that DNR property looks great on a chart, topo map, etc.. but access is something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Before buying any land in Alaska, you want to get a good look at it before you put any money down. It's best to look at it in the Summer, then again in the winter. Some of that DNR property looks great on a chart, topo map, etc.. but access is something else.
    agreed. forgot about that.
    but will still appreciate any help if any body has knowledge about any of the locations on the map

Quote Originally Posted by Kmksunfire View Post
    agreed. forgot about that.
    but will still appreciate any help if any body has knowledge about any of the locations on the map
    Access. It is all about access. You will need a plane to get to many of those. For others you can get there by boat. But, the farther upstream you go, the trickier it gets - Especially on the Skwentna River.

Any lots on a good size (big enough for a float plane) lake, or on a river will cost more than your budget. Everybody wants water front.

My suggestion would be to pick the subdivision that looks like the best fit for you and then figure out how you are going to get there in the summer (hire a boat or plane). Then go visit the lots in that subdivision that interest you the most. After doing all that, if you like a lot, and can afford to get there and back, and can afford to haul supplies out there, then buy it. If all that sounds like too much trouble and money, you shouldn't buy it.

Winter access is usually easier (snowmachine). So, to me, if you liked it in the summer, I'd probably not wait to see it again in the winter. Especially if it will just be a summer cabin.

spot on. plane is not an option. feels too expensive. Maybe if my brother gets his pilots license
    I can't really be that picky, as it's pretty much <5k or nothing for land cost..
    -close to river.

Looking like canyon lake is worth a look, can't expect it to be there for sure.
    I imagine, I may have more options end come september for the next batch...
    Any estimates when river becomes un-doable by boat? before november?

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    Access. It is all about access. You will need a plane to get to many of those. For others you can get there by boat. But, the farther upstream you go, the trickier it gets - Especially on the Skwentna River.

Any lots on a good size (big enough for a float plane) lake, or on a river will cost more than your budget. Everybody wants water front.

My suggestion would be to pick the subdivision that looks like the best fit for you and then figure out how you are going to get there in the summer (hire a boat or plane). Then go visit the lots in that subdivision that interest you the most. After doing all that, if you like a lot, and can afford to get there and back, and can afford to haul supplies out there, then buy it. If all that sounds like too much trouble and money, you shouldn't buy it.

Winter access is usually easier (snowmachine). So, to me, if you liked it in the summer, I'd probably not wait to see it again in the winter. Especially if it will just be a summer cabin.
    Attached Files Attached Files

stupid question: do the creeks hold salmon? specificly in Mat-su valley? I read a bit, but getting confused.
    or are they only off the main river shoots?

With all due respect, you sound incredibly under-resourced for an effort of this nature. If you don't have the money to invest, you don't have the money to lose if it doesn't work out. Also, if you're making decisions based on Google maps or Bing maps, you're in for some surprises.

That said, it looks like it's all largely hypothetical, since state OTC land sales and the current land auction are for residents only. I don't know how it is in south central but here in the interior, private sale prices tend to be similar to or lower than state sales, anyway.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    With all due respect, you sound incredibly under-resourced for an effort of this nature. If you don't have the money to invest, you don't have the money to lose if it doesn't work out. Also, if you're making decisions based on Google maps or Bing maps, you're in for some surprises.

That said, it looks like it's all largely hypothetical, since state OTC land sales and the current land auction are for residents only. I don't know how it is in south central but here in the interior, private sale prices tend to be similar to or lower than state sales, anyway.
    Welp, that being said... the Brown's are looking to expand their little town, Brownville, would give them a look see.

thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by Kmksunfire View Post
    stupid question: do the creeks hold salmon? specificly in Mat-su valley? I read a bit, but getting confused.
    or are they only off the main river shoots?
    Check out the fishing regulation handbook- it is free as well as on line. Lots of info that you seek as far as fish, as well as would need to fish within confines of the law.

thanks, was more or less asking if the creeks there hold any fish, not what species. I have looked on line. most fishing lodges seem to be on an off shoot of a major river system. And I imagine thats the best fishing. the creeks in picture don't seem to have any major off shoots so wasn't sure if the even hold fish having never been out there. I should have asked that in a different thread.

Lots of the creeks have good amount of fish- not all the same regarding which species are in numbers. There are lots of good book like the highway angler which cover creeks that are able to be reached by the road system (and reach out farther). Other parts of the creeks are sometimes very lightly fished. I realize that you want to be remote- but you may need to scale back your aspirations and just find a place closer to the road system. The logistics and cost of getting flown or floated in with supplies/building materials is not for the feint of heart! I looked and looked for a place to buy and found an amazing place that did not have trail access- then we put in our trail/drive over a summer. Lots of work but well worth the time and sweat. Good luck with your search.

Ok a few points to remember, what is considered far out? In the lower 48 twenty or thirty miles no big deal. Alaska is another world. Most folks consider 5 to 8 miles more than they want to drive in the winter. In the interior the temps swing from -50 to 90. I know that your OP said you only wanted to camp and get boots on the ground and that is a fantastic idea. I cant stress enough NOT to buy property without actually walking it first. Alaska is wide open for camping come up spend some time camping, you can camp most anywhere in the bush I know lots of folks that camp all summer. Dont plan on surviving off the land fish gets old and you are better off to skip nonresident hunting to expensive. We are currently under a really high fire risk and any form of fire is a huge ticket or jail time. My remote property is 60 miles out of fairbanks on the steese and 2.5 miles up a dirt road ending 2300 feet above sea level. Everyone here thinks I am insane for going out so far. Logistics can be a *****. Just watch the DNR stuff its cheap for a reason. I will be happy to help anyway I can.

thanks for the responses all! over 5 miles from road or river, is probably too far. I have read many times people say how difficult it is. ( I am most curious to see- seems like running N-S shouldn't be that difficult. lol. Incase anybody is curious, I may have figured out some solutions. I have found other people to split a parcel with. And will help cover a quick fabrication, and cost to get material out to our land. If goes well, we will haul it out there this winter. Next spring/summer we will come out to Alaska and build out the cabin. though my plans have changed, some.. starting to tinker with the idea of staying for the winter in Alaska, though not remotely. yall have been so welcoming

If you want a good aerial look at the land, use the DNR interactive mapping application. It has the best detail I've found. The picture looks like a lot of marsh or muskeg. A lot of creeks off main rivers and lakes have fish. Most of those areas are only accessible during the summer months and accessible by boat or plane. You may have better luck finding property FSBO and not on land auction. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sjneyman View Post
    If you want a good aerial look at the land, use the DNR interactive mapping application. It has the best detail I've found. The picture looks like a lot of marsh or muskeg. A lot of creeks off main rivers and lakes have fish. Most of those areas are only accessible during the summer months and accessible by boat or plane. You may have better luck finding property FSBO and not on land auction. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the info. That map has some interesting options/info.
    I have been looking through craigslist, trulia, remote land etc. Any FSBO resources I'm missing?
    Figure I'll get out there in spring and get a feel for Alaska in general.
    -Have a couple new spots in mind, one in same area on trapper creek lake, one near kodiak, one near seward.
    -might do a workaway or something like that to go and help someone with their land while getting some alaska experience.
    one more week and I am free from office life!

landinalaska.com or Alaskaslist.com
    Another option to look at.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

AlaskaRealEstate.com has MLS listings for the entire state. The advanced search is pretty useful, but if you're not careful you can get 500+ hits on your search criteria.

The private land sales are in some cases coming up less expensive per acre than the DNR over the counter appraisals. Some of them are ridiculously overpriced too.

If you're still looking to build a log cabin make sure you've got good timber available. Spruce is good and white spruce is better. DNR will issue personal use firewood permits. I'm pretty sure the permit includes personal use for house logs. The online materials are a little light on details but a quick call to DNR will confirm that. Even if you end up building a frame cabin, you'll probably want to have a nearby source of clean sand or gravel. If you end up looking further north be aware of potential for permafrost. Doesn't make building a cabin impossible, or even difficult, you just need to build in a manner that minimizes thawing.

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post

OTC land sales and the OTC Initial lottery are open to anyone with money anywhere.
    The Remote Recreation Cabin Site lottery and the Land Sale Auction are the only ones restricted to residents.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    OTC land sales and the OTC Initial lottery are open to anyone with money anywhere.
    The Remote Recreation Cabin Site lottery and the Land Sale Auction are the only ones restricted to residents.
    Right, I guess we found that out with that guy from Washington who put in applications for some 80-odd OTC parcels, won 60, and ended up buying only one. That was nuts!

Another way to find properties, btw, is to just drive around areas you're interested in. You'll often see "For sale" signs for land that's not listed elsewhere.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time