Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burn Ban FAIL

Default Burn Ban FAIL

O.k. so a burn ban is in effect for the Kenai Peninsula. But you are still allowed a 'warming' fire, cooking fire, or a fire in a fire ring at a camp ground. How stupid is this? I got news for you pal. If you need a warming fire when it's 90 degrees outside, you might consider vacationing in the Sahara Desert. Also most of the camp grounds are quite a distance from fire fighting resources. I think a burn ban, should mean NO OPEN FLAMES. Rant over, for now.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

No open flames...sounds good to me. If those campers need to cook some weenies and roast marshmallows on an open flame, they should have to go where a wildfire is already burning, and do their cooking there.
    "Grin and Bear It"

At least in the Burn Ban areas...there is a ban on the sales of fireworks or setting them off...also a ban on campfires...
    "Grin and Bear It"

The cities of Kenai and Soldotna implemented their own burn bans that include everything down to charcoal grills.
    If you live in city limits you need a covered gas grill for a fathers day BBQ.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    The cities of Kenai and Soldotna implemented their own burn bans that include everything down to charcoal grills.
    If you live in city limits you need a covered gas grill for a fathers day BBQ.
    Yeah, but if you're way out in B.F. Egypt a long ways from help, you can still have a fire in the campground, such as captain Cook Park. Makes absolutely no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Yeah, but if you're way out in B.F. Egypt a long ways from help, you can still have a fire in the campground, such as captain Cook Park. Makes absolutely no sense.
    I thought the open burn ban peninsula wide included campfires?
    According to this link it does include campfires. So even in Captain cook park no campfires are allowed.
    Only covered gas grills or those that run on compressed gas cylinders that can be controlled are allowed.
    http://www.ktva.com/burn-ban-in-plac...ge-mat-su-755/
    So as long as people follow the law we shouldn't have to worry about campfires and such starting things. If we see people violating the ban dump a bucket of water on their fire and tell them about the burn ban.

I thought the open burn ban peninsula wide included campfires?
    According to this link it does include campfires. So even in Captain cook park no campfires are allowed.
    Only covered gas grills or those that run on compressed gas cylinders that can be controlled are allowed.
    http://www.ktva.com/burn-ban-in-plac...ge-mat-su-755/
    So as long as people follow the law we shouldn't have to worry about campfires and such starting things. If we see people violating the ban dump a bucket of water on their fire and tell them about the burn ban.
    You can bet that I will doing just that! For both fires & fireworks.
    "Grin and Bear It"

No, you can not.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    No, you can not.
    About time then. Last I read was the Refuge had a ban, and so did the cities, but the State had not enacted a total ban.

I agree that it's about time. Whenever there is a burn ban anywhere in Alaska...open flames, like campfires, charcoal, burn barrels etc. & fireworks should be included in the ban. It's a no brainer.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    I agree that it's about time. Whenever there is a burn ban anywhere in Alaska...open flames, like campfires, charcoal, burn barrels etc. & fireworks should be included in the ban. It's a no brainer.
    I just read a post from KSRM radio that said there is a state wide burn ban, but warming fires are still allowed. ***. Who needs a warming fire when it 80 degrees outside?

I just read a post from KSRM radio that said there is a state wide burn ban, but warming fires are still allowed. ***. Who needs a warming fire when it 80 degrees outside?
    Well that's not what the State Forestry fire prevention, burn permit hotline for the Mat-Su says...761-6312...the ban includes warming fires as well.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Dear (NOT'Too Ugly) ladies, over 18 and under 80 y/o if you find yourself cold during the burn-ban, and located near HOPE, ALASKA do the right thing avoid a warming fire..........and Call: 782-3300 and we will send a handsome loveable Animal to warm you right up............
    SEA VIEW BAR & CAFE We have trained Saint Bernard Dogs with a Keg of Brandy...

Read this link from KSRM.
    The burn ban does include warming fires.
    Absolutely no open burning of any kind no warming fires,no camp fires,no burn barrels,etc
    From Andy Alexandrou of the forestry department:
    Alexandrou: “They have been debris burns, unattended camp fires, abandoned camp fires, and it all hinges around folks not paying attention to the current burn closure and folks need to remember that, there’s a reason for that, that’s why everything is closed for burning right now, the only thing you can have is if it has a knob on it you can use it, that’s a gas grill.”

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Dear (NOT'Too Ugly) ladies, over 18 and under 70 y/o if you fine yourself cold during the burn-ban, and located near HOPE, ALASKA do the right thing avoid a warming fire..........and Call: 782-3300 and we will send help to warm you up............SEA VIEW BAR & CAFE We have trained Saint Bernard Dogs with a Keg of Brandy.
    I wasn't aware you looked like a saint Bernard!
    Good luck with finding some (not too ugly)women needing warming in Hope!

Boy those warming fires have started a bunch of fires!
    Tim

Read this link from KSRM.
    The burn ban does include warming fires.
    Absolutely no open burning of any kind no warming fires,no camp fires,no burn barrels,etc
    From Andy Alexandrou of the forestry department:
    If I were the boss, I'd have a great big sign as you start up the hill from the Turnagin Arm saying.... NO BURNING ANYTHING WHATSOEVER...!!!.....or something along those lines.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

and large families........

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    Boy those warming fires have started a bunch of fires!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    If I were the boss, I'd have a great big sign as you start up the hill from the Turnagin Arm saying.... NO BURNING ANYTHING WHATSOEVER...!!!.....or something along those lines.....
    They have a huge digital sign as you start on the Seward highway just south of Anchorage.I'm guessing that would be a great place to alert people of the fires and the burn ban along with the usual Traffic accident reports etc.
    That way they can warn all the tourists headed south in their RV's who may not catch local news.

On another note my wife has a warming fire pit on our back deck. On a cool evening it is nice to sit around the fire.
    Even when it's hot we sometimes(not now of course) start a fire and call up some friends and family to come over to cook smore's roast marshmallows and BS around the warming fire.
    It makes for an enjoyable evening as the smoke helps keep the bugs at bay. And we have some good conversation that didn't involve cooking dinner for everybody they just make their own Smore's and relax.

Burn bans are great. Now if we can just keep smokers from flicking their butts out the window as they drive down the road.

Or, tow truck drivers and thier fuse's. I was on a bike ride in the area yesterday and at an accident I watched a driver light and throw one down the road. He turned around, headed back to his truck. I watched it roll of the highway into the ditch. I let him know. Point is. He wasn't being to cautious.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast