Thread: anybody use an anchor sight or similar 'rear sight'?

Default anybody use an anchor sight or similar 'rear sight'?

I am seriously considering moving away from a peep.

Of all the things that has given me the most issues - it has been my peep sight. rotating, rubber tubing popping off, sliding out of alignment, etc...

Yes, I know all of these are easily fixed. But it is a drag to have to deal with.

I am looking into changing to an anchor sight or perrys no peep sight.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Ive used this no peep sight or something similar since 1991. No peep and you shoot both eyes open. A red dot appears on your target like a laser but its not a laser. Perfectly legal in Alaska during the general seasons, but prohibited in archery only hunts. Also not P&Y legal, but I'm not worried about that.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psfbf2a474.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

A good/high quality string will eliminate peep twist. I have never used one of the peeps with the tube on it. Any bow shop worth a **** can tie a peep in where it will never move. As I said earlier a top quality string you will have no peep twist at all. I would do that before I waste time and energy on these gadgets.

Thank you both.
    Hugh, who is the manufacturer of your sight?
    323 - I sent a message to Kodiak Island about having a string made - so maybe I will get a chance to chat with him a little about this issue. I know I am going to be needing a new string soon. I use a sight with the rubber tubing and have also considered switching to the 'stand alone' peep.

There are quite a lot of folks who really like the Perry's No Peep sight.
    Taxidermy IS art!

Palmer

Get a winners choice string and cables made, any color you want, then have screaming eagle tie it in, shoot it a hundred times so it can stretch, re tie the peep in if needed, usually 1 or 2 strands will need to be rotated to the other side. Once tied in I use a sharpie and make a small mark on top of the top tie bottom of the bottom tie, keep your string waxed and it will last a decade or more. Can also have a d loop put in, peep should turn correct EVERY time

Hoytguy
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

I began using a No-Peep in the early 1990ís after experiencing dimming vision when looking through a peep. Research of alternate methods to confirm my anchor point brought me to the No-Peep did not restrict light, allowed me to shoot with both eyes open, and ensured I had an effective anchor point. When No-Peep left the market several years ago, AnchorSight became my product of choice. The AnchorSight offers improvements over the No-Peep, but basically is used in the same way.
    Peep sights, No-Peeps and AnchorSights are devices to confirm your anchor point which leads to consistency. Peep sights are often used as a sight aligning the front pin in the center of the peep. The shot is often made, without confirming a consistent anchor point.
    The AnchorSight/or No-Peep is an improvement over a peep sight because it ensures the use of the anchor point. The biggest problem with the No-Peep and AnchorSight is the initial setup which has to be very precise. Once set, it works well. I acquire the target faster and more consistently than through a peep. When properly set up and the center dot is within the circle, accuracy is claimed to be within 1Ē at 20 yards. I donít shoot that well, but I have experienced nothing to dispute that claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    Get a winners choice string and cables made, any color you want, then have screaming eagle tie it in, shoot it a hundred times so it can stretch, re tie the peep in if needed, usually 1 or 2 strands will need to be rotated to the other side. Once tied in I use a sharpie and make a small mark on top of the top tie bottom of the bottom tie, keep your string waxed and it will last a decade or more. Can also have a d loop put in, peep should turn correct EVERY time

Hoytguy
    Thanks Jesse! I know for sure I will take the bow to screaming eagle for having the string put on and such. I suspect the string that is on the bow now is from the bow when it was made - The Rock, made by Diamond. I have had it for a couple of years now and do keep the string waxed. But I wonder if it has stretched or is just a poor quality string because of the issue of my peep twisting. I do shoot a lot.
    Taxidermy IS art!

Quote Originally Posted by RLK7 View Post
    I began using a No-Peep in the early 1990ís after experiencing dimming vision when looking through a peep. Research of alternate methods to confirm my anchor point brought me to the No-Peep did not restrict light, allowed me to shoot with both eyes open, and ensured I had an effective anchor point. When No-Peep left the market several years ago, AnchorSight became my product of choice. The AnchorSight offers improvements over the No-Peep, but basically is used in the same way.
    Peep sights, No-Peeps and AnchorSights are devices to confirm your anchor point which leads to consistency. Peep sights are often used as a sight aligning the front pin in the center of the peep. The shot is often made, without confirming a consistent anchor point.
    The AnchorSight/or No-Peep is an improvement over a peep sight because it ensures the use of the anchor point. The biggest problem with the No-Peep and AnchorSight is the initial setup which has to be very precise. Once set, it works well. I acquire the target faster and more consistently than through a peep. When properly set up and the center dot is within the circle, accuracy is claimed to be within 1Ē at 20 yards. I donít shoot that well, but I have experienced nothing to dispute that claim.
    Thanks RLK7 - What you are saying makes a lot of sense. I would like to know if you have ever experienced any fogging or such with the anchor site. How does it do in inclement weather?
    Taxidermy IS art!

Cool product Hugh, although I think the price may be a bit high, for this particular application - for me, anyway....
    Taxidermy IS art!

Bowtech/diamond have ****ty factory strings Matthews is easily #1 when it comes to horrible strings bowtech an easy 2nd. Can't go wrong with winner choice.. I like America best strings but everyone has a different opinion on strings..

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    Cool product Hugh, although I think the price may be a bit high, for this particular application - for me, anyway....

I can usually find them used for $125 including the mount. I have one set up on a bow right now at 40lbs and 22-26" draw length if you want to shoot it.
    Palmer

Quote Originally Posted by Hughiam View Post
    I can usually find them used for $125 including the mount. I have one set up on a bow right now at 40lbs and 22-26" draw length if you want to shoot it.
    Is it left handed?
    Taxidermy IS art!

Actually, Juli, I can have you shoot a right handed bow with this site nearly as accurate as you shoot your left handed bow. We used to do it all the time at when I repped for them at the big shows in the Midwest.
    Palmer

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    A good/high quality string will eliminate peep twist. I have never used one of the peeps with the tube on it. Any bow shop worth a **** can tie a peep in where it will never move. As I said earlier a top quality string you will have no peep twist at all. I would do that before I waste time and energy on these gadgets.
    With the exception of factory strings most string makers that have been around for awhile (smaller shops) have the no stretch and no rotation issue down...with me I made it a point to go further...I wanted no shoot in times....so in the string making process I have went through a stretching process at the time your strings are made that will allow you to install your strings then relax your bow press and let your bow sit for about 5 min then repress and install the peep...the peep will never move again....this eliminates shoot in times....I have done thousands of sets like this when I was doing strings full time.
    Btw...I'm doing them full time again

I have not used a peep since 2009...for a few years I used the Hindsight...then switched to the Anchor sight...I just don't like shooting with a peep...

Weather has never caused any difficulty in using the AnchorSight or previously the No-Peep. Use of these products has increased my confidence in my anchor point and I frequently cover the Anchorsight and shoot out to 30 yards with confidence. If I were to have a problem, and I never have, I still can hunt.

Get rid of the tube, get a quality string and have someone install it who actually cares enough to not let you leave until it's shooting great and your peep doesn't rotate...