Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LANYARD on HAND'CANNON........??? Yes/No/Maybe

Default LANYARD on HAND'CANNON........??? Yes/No/Maybe

I am giving some serious consideration to a Lanyard on my day-hike handgun.

When you read all of the bear mauling stories of the last 150 years........one common comment shows up often. "I was shaken like a rag-doll by the bear and my firearm was cast away" and/or "when the mauling stopped, and I looked around, I could not see my firearm" and/or when the mauling stopped and I could see my firearm 35 feet away, but the bear was near and I could hear it breathing".

I am wondering if one of those retractable cable thingies that janitors have 100 keys attached to, would work.

Maybe one of you YOUNG men needs to invent a retractable medium/heavy duty lanyard. Could be a good market....

I like a lanyard. I bounced a Glock down a scree chute one time and that taught me the lesson. If a pistol is important, it's important to stay with you.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Well, the good news is that it was a GLOCK...........most likely did more damage to the scree chute.......

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I like a lanyard. I bounced a Glock down a scree chute one time and that taught me the lesson. If a pistol is important, it's important to stay with you.

I do not have any usable opinion on whether to have a lanyard or not. It does make sense.

What did pop into my seldom used mind while reading this was the janitor type retractable lanyard could very well cause movement. Almost everything I have read about a bear mauling is that movement set them back off again. Imagine lying there pretty well beaten up by an ill tempered bear and hoping he will just go away. Then the lanyard begins to move the pistol.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    Then the lanyard begins to move the pistol.
    .....Hopefully, quickly back into your hand....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Lanyard with wrist strap works well
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I have a lanyard on mine, dont know if it would really help or not and dang sure dont ever want to find out, but kinda piece of mind.
    Besides pretty hard to loose if conected to body by rubber coated cable. (unless you are missing that part of body it was connected to)
    There are a bunch of differant ones on the market, some with break aways some without.

Well, considering most handguns with lanyards were military and they had them so you could find your sidearm when things went to crap. I think having one on a trail gun makes sense.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Proper shooting landyard gives three contact points with grip in normal shooting stance. Hold handgund in normal stance with both hand. String landyard around neck and through ring on grip. Tighten landyard till slite resistance is felt on hands and you are set for three point control.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I'm totally against a lanyard on my handguns.

I'm CERTAIN it would get tangled up in the buckbrush, or something else, and probably when I'd need it most.

You can create scenarios where a lanyard would save your gun, but in most of them, losing your gun would be the least of your worries. "Yeah, Ole Smitty falled outa his boat and drownded hisself, but his gun was recovered hangin from the lanyard, OR MEBBE, wrapped around a sweeper, keepin under the water. Lucky, we found his body."

No Lanyards for me. They're TOO RISKY.

But, go ahead and TRY one, you won't have it long, unless you're really stubborn.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Question: why not just kill the bear first? OK seriously, most handguns would need a weld job to get a hook put on them. A leather strap would break, paracord would to with a really big bear.

If you knew the area would need you to have your handgun out at all times, then make a glove that locks your hand and gun together.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Never heard of welding for landyard ring. All I've seen are threaded or pinned in place. Bears are about the last of worries. Think shooting halibut over the side of the boat or target shooting offhand.

​Well there are times when a lanyard could be the greatest thing and others where it will be sure to be the wrong idea so just face facts, you can't win them all. There are some really smart and experienced pistol shooters, folks living and some now dead and none of them used a lanyard.

Quote Originally Posted by redale View Post
    ​Well there are times when a lanyard could be the greatest thing and others where it will be sure to be the wrong idea so just face facts, you can't win them all. There are some really smart and experienced pistol shooters, folks living and some now dead and none of them used a lanyard.
    Many a handgun hunter pass and today use a sling to carry as its stronger than a landyard

My $38,988.99 Freedom Arms 10" has QR studs on the barrel and grip.

IMG_1241x.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Many a handgun hunter pass and today use a sling to carry as its stronger than a landyard

Very nice gun there. My 9 1/2" RSRH with 2X Leupold has about same set-up

I have a lanyard loop on both my 629 Classic and my 629 Mountain Gun, both have S&W loops to hold the recoil reducer grips on the handguns.
    Steve

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    My $38,988.99 Freedom Arms 10" has QR studs on the barrel and grip.

IMG_1241x.jpg
    I keep all my $38,98.99 guns in my Gun Safe.

Cuz, I don't want a steenkeeng bear chawin on'em.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I use a sling stud on all of my revolver butts. I use the 6' utility sling from Midsouth and a swivel so I move from gun to gun. The gun hangs at my hand when walking but most important, if I snooze in the stand I can't lose it. Push against it and it steadies the gun better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I never have had one, but if I spent much time on a horse or in a canoe they might come in handy due to my deteriorating lack of coordination and quick movement ability! It will only get worse!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast