Thread: Fish ID...a first I think for me.

Default Fish ID...a first I think for me.

Several weeks ago, my parents had cleaned a halibtu I dropped off and mentioned that there were a lot of crabs, but also some type of red colored fish. I wondered what it could be since I don't recall ever seeing anything red colored in the area.

Fast forward to this weekend. Off Anchor Point, my sonar lights up and shows BIG clouds of bait. As big as I have ever seen. I couldn't find the "edge" despite pedaling a good distance...maybe a 100 yards. So I had some sabikis and I was going to put them on. I left my salmon trolling gear dangling down about 20ft down in 70ft of water.

As I bring it up to see about clipping a sabiki rig on, this fish comes up hooked right in the mouth on the trailing 5/0 red gamaktsu hook. I should have droppped the sabiki down but I was desperate to get my 10yr old on fish so I didn't think anything about it till later.

It was sort of hard to touch. Bony like. I don't think its a type of sculpin and I can't say this is what "the baitfish" was for certain but its a first for me. Any guesses??? If it was the bait I saw on sonar...there a zillion of them!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Several weeks ago, my parents had cleaned a halibtu I dropped off and mentioned that there were a lot of crabs, but also some type of red colored fish. I wondered what it could be since I don't recall ever seeing anything red colored in the area.

Fast forward to this weekend. Off Anchor Point, my sonar lights up and shows BIG clouds of bait. As big as I have ever seen. I couldn't find the "edge" despite pedaling a good distance...maybe a 100 yards. So I had some sabikis and I was going to put them on. I left my salmon trolling gear dangling down about 20ft down in 70ft of water.

As I bring it up to see about clipping a sabiki rig on, this fish comes up hooked right in the mouth on the trailing 5/0 red gamaktsu hook. I should have droppped the sabiki down but I was desperate to get my 10yr old on fish so I didn't think anything about it till later.

It was sort of hard to touch. Bony like. I don't think its a type of sculpin and I can't say this is what "the baitfish" was for certain but its a first for me. Any guesses??? If it was the bait I saw on sonar...there a zillion of them!!!!

Since you mentioned "bony" the first thing that comes to mind would be one of the species of poachers. Unfortunately, your picture does not show the key characteristics very well. There are some sculpin that have "tough, hard" skin that would feel bony, but the picture provided does not show enough to 100% i.d. it. Next time take close up shots of the lateral line, pelvic & pectoral fins, and specifically the dorsal and anal fins. A close up of the head from the bottom and top would greatly help as well.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Was the mouth inferior? Did you notice barbels on the bottom of the mouth?
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Looks like a question for Homerdave!
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Looks like a sculpin to me. Why did you say you didn't think it was a sculpin?

I'd say some type of poacher, but no telling which without the fish in hand.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Fish ID...a first I think for me.

The head was narrower and the mouth was "different". In the pic the gills were flared out. When it can up it looked more like a normal fish.

Also I can't be sure it was what I was marking but my sonar was just lit up like there was a million of them.

Should have taken a better pic. My hands were wet so I couldn't preview it.

Ok. Need to catch another one. Means trolling a bare red hook around all day. Lol.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

I had one of those "there must be a zillion fish below my boat" moments in Icy Straits a few years back and stopped to watch the clouds roll under me. Grabbed a Sabiki rig and dropped down.

Pollack! Zillions of them....some were on my sabiki when I reeled up. They were 8-10" long. The shoals of fish were extremely long and went on for minutes.