Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sockeye fire has Deshka Landing shut down, difficult to cross inlet and go up river?

Default Sockeye fire has Deshka Landing shut down, difficult to cross inlet and go up river?

The Sockeye fire currently has Deshka Landing shut down.
    I'm looking for any tips or advice on launching at Anchorage and running across the inlet?
    I'm thinking about launching at Ship Creek high tide and cross inlet to run up the Susitna
    I've got a 20' Thunderjet
    Any experience with hazards or tips would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by ssimpson1 View Post
    I'm looking for any tips or advice on launching at Anchorage and running across the inlet?
    I'm thinking about launching at Ship Creek high tide and cross inlet to run up the Susitna
    The channels at the mouth of the big su change quite often, but the last time we crossed the best delta channel was to the far West side until you got upriver a ways. There is a big difference in book times for tides between Ship Creek and the mouth of the Big Su. The quicker you launch the better it will be for you over at the Big Su.. A word of caution… if there is any wind coming out of Turnagain, pick a different tide.

this was their facebook update from about 2pm today:
    "It is hit and miss getting in and out of the landing. Mile 66 on the Parks Highway remains the closure point. Pace vehicles have been leading about 20 vehicles thru at a time. Going in or out is best via Nancy Lake Parkway. Our staff was hit very hard by this fire and our office is presently closed."
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Judging by the many many channels (about 20) at the mouth of the big su i would predict that thunder jet being stuck on the silt with nothing for 400 + yards to winch off of to get free.

Unless it is a life or death situation don't try it! You will get stuck, unless you have a gps track from some one that made it this year.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

They used to take barges and paddle boats up there weekly, they did it by going slow and poling the first 5 or so miles. Also starting out at lower tide and letting the tide come up so they could see where to go ahead of them. Read it in many books, but I wouldn't do it in a thunderjet. Its not worth it, just wait for the landing to open again. My father used to do it in a RIB with a 25 horse prop, all the way from ship creek just for fun, he said its no fun when you get stuck even in something that small.

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Unless it is a life or death situation don't try it! You will get stuck, unless you have a gps track from some one that made it this year.
    I agree with Music Man. That trip would be a matter of life or death. Would probably be a trip just to sit in the mud.

Quote Originally Posted by ssimpson1 View Post
    Watch the flags on the Captin Cook hotel, They will tell all. We used leave 1,1/2 -2hr before high tide as soon we get the boat off trailer at the old ramp. Watch the wind nothing worse than having wind going one way and tide the other . We never had a gps back then. There used be Barge go up river weekly. we followed him to get to know the channel. There used to be Duck hunting shacks too, that kinda marked the way too . That is the secret to know where you are going, if you don't or have somebody with you that does, You are asking for it. As others said it is no fun to be stuck in the mud for 12 hrs hoping that is a higher tide now than then, to float the boat and the waves don't wash into the boat before it floats. Lots of stories from those day,s. I think I used up a few of my nine life's out there, Be careful, The inlet can be like Big lake one moment and Life threatening then next...

The way I read it the landing is open for launching. There is no one manning the booth but you can launch and retrieve. The Web site recommended coming in through Nancy Lake Parkway.

[QUOTE=Branr1;1486757]The way I read it the landing is open for launching. There is no one manning the booth but you can launch and retrieve. The Web site recommended coming in through Nancy Lake Parkway.[/QUOTEverybody,
    True everything works but: More for us retrieving, We were out on the river when this all came about,I did get email from our President, stating that he reset the gates and camera's , But the office is closed . There is nobody launching as the Troppers are not going let you back in ...They let us out, but wouldn't let us back in to retrieve the snowmachine trailer .

Just as long as the fire stays away from the landing. If it burns the guys complaining about $30 to launch will really complain when it's $50 I'm sure there is more then one fireman fighting this thing that use the launch. Probably making it personal.

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    Just as long as the fire stays away from the landing. If it burns the guys complaining about $30 to launch will really complain when it's $50 I'm sure there is more then one fireman fighting this thing that use the launch. Probably making it personal.
    I agree,Even if it doesn't burn .They are losing hundreds, per day ,right in the middle of prime time king season.

It's sounds like they are gaining ground on the fire.

Bummer deal man. Thoughts and prayers for the folks with homes in the area, and the owners of the launch. I would say during a busy Friday evening/Sat morning at the launch, these prime days could be up in the thousand(s) of revenue/operating fund loss.

Hopefully this puts the boat launch fees into perspective for folks.

-Rob
    ~Alaska born and raised~ •'04 Duckworth, 5.7 w/ 3-stg. •High side Lowe, '13 Yami 25 prop+Merc 40/30 jet
    •Ranger 6x •CAT atv w/ 27" rubber •A very large moose buggy •M7 153" "Earned, NOT given"

I havnt Made a crossing to go up the Big sue, but Have done it 40 times or so in my life going to the Little sue mouth from the port. Yes, That Inlet can get downright nasty. With that wind howling and tide howling, it can be a serious pucker factor. There was more than 1 time I was kissing the docks when we safely made it back. 90% of my crossing were in a 19' Reddot Duckworth 3 stage hami with 351. 10 years or so ago, I was coming home... and there was 3' chop 1 Mile up from the mouth of the Little Sue... I Should have turned around, and stayed another Night, I knew better... But I went it for. The Tide was Ripping in, and there were 25 MPH winds and I kid you not 6' CHOP coming from what seemed like every direction... It was Scarey as hell. Usually a crossing on a clear day is around 25 minutes from the dock, that day it took me 2.5 Hours. I was Halfway across when I was coming down over the crest of a wave, I get to the bottom of the trough and here comes this Big *******.... 7' wave atleast.... I Knew if I didn't Punch it right then, it was going to sink me. I Punch it, I bust through this wave, It Cracks The passenger side window glass, The Jet cavitates, the Screws holding the seats in the floor Boards ripped out from the compression. I really thought there may be a chance we weren't going to make it. Im soaking WET, even though ive got a cavas top, Its drenched... the dogs at my feet scared for his life, Im kicking him away because need to have my feet underneath me to drive this thing, the windshield wipers are barely clearing before the next waves...

Ironically enough, that trip from hell Ruined it for me. I havnt made a crossing since than day. Its sad because I Really miss making that trip, But I guess it scared me to much.

Deshka Landing cam shows a number of boats coming and going yesterday (Wednesday). Updates seem to be conflicting as to whether or not you will be allowed access to the landing by the troopers, even if going in on Nancy Lake Parkway. Would hate to make that drive and sit in that line of traffic just to be turned back around. Does anyone have a current status on this?

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Deshka Landing cam shows a number of boats coming and going yesterday (Wednesday). Updates seem to be conflicting as to whether or not you will be allowed access to the landing by the troopers, even if going in on Nancy Lake Parkway. Would hate to make that drive and sit in that line of traffic just to be turned back around. Does anyone have a current status on this?
    I'd like to know the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure why everyone thinks a Tjet would automaticaly get stuck crossing the inlet. There is a darn gill net boat that drafts several feet at the mouth of the Alexander. If he can make it, any inboard jet boat would be able to. The key is reading the water and playing the tides. With that note, I would just fish Ship creek if I was hard up for a king. Be a lot cheaper then running to the Deshka.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Multiple friends have been going through the landing since noon of yesterday, and using it today. All have pass keys but they said its no problem getting there through long lake road and the back road way, nancy lake parkway. Im going tomorrow night that route.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast