Thread: iron sights on custom 300 WM?

Default iron sights on custom 300 WM?

I'm having a custom built 300 built and had a couple of friends suggest seeing if the build could add iron sights. Any thoughts on the idea? Pros or Cons? Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

If you think that it's a good idea can you recommend a make and model?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Great idea,I remember when all rifles came with them. These folk can do it all for ya.
    http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/G...ces/Sights.asp
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I'm having a custom built 300 built and had a couple of friends suggest seeing if the build could add iron sights. Any thoughts on the idea? Pros or Cons? Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

If you think that it's a good idea can you recommend a make and model?
    I like the idea of back up iron sights... couple of things to think about though.

Most folks don't shoot enough with irons to get reasonably proficient in the modern era, in fact I know several shooters in their 30s who've never had an iron sighted rifle- not even a .22... think about how much you've used a rifle with irons and would you shoot big game with them. Some guys are really good with irons, but they are far fewer in number these days. Even the military has went into optical sights the last few years in a big way.

If your eyesight (like mine) is drifting into "middle youth"- you might find using open sights tougher than you remember. I sure do.

Most stocks are set with a comb height to accommodate one sighting system or the other. A rifle with a low combed stock to shoot irons will nail you in the jaw with every shot when you raise you're head up enough to see through a scope. Bavarian or "hog back" stocks are the worst example of this- torture with a scope- like getting cracked in the jaw bare knuckle every time.

A high comb for a scope will be tough to get your head mashed down on far enough to use an open sight. Back up irons aren't a bad idea, they're just a tough idea to execute effectively. A Weatherby Monte Carlo stock is almost impossible to get down on low enough to see a set of irons on for example.

I've had several rifles equipped though and I liked the NECG series of sights, particularly their aperture sight. I have to say though- in middle age I just don't see well enough to have a new rifle built with irons unless it was a dedicated aperture sighted rifle to be used without a scope at all. Good grade scopes just fail so darn seldom these days it's hard to justify the effort and compromise required to make a back up set really worth it. As bad as I hate to say it- they're sort of a throwback to a different era.

Just my $0.02
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Great idea,I remember when all rifles came with them. These folk can do it all for ya.
    http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/G...ces/Sights.asp
    I have the gunsmith building it now but do you have and recommendations as to the type or style?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I have the gunsmith building it now but do you have and recommendations as to the type or style?
    The recommendation for NECG sights is a good one. You can select from several different styles and various colors/materials/shapes for the front. I've been looking at building an iron-sighted rifle recently and will use a NECG barrel band front for it.

This for the ramp and THIS or THIS for the actual sight.

As for the benefits of backup sights on a rifle, it's something that can be debated, but not resolved. Proper mounts and scope selection will be every bit as durable, actually a quality scope in quality mounts is more durable than any iron sight of which I'm familiar. IME, it is the rare hunter that can use iron sights with sufficient precision to justify their presence as a backup. Iron sights can/will snag in scabbards (and brush) and that can make them more than a nuisance. I'm about commitment in most things so I'll pick a sighting system, choose components that provide the utmost in reliability and stick with it.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Not backup for me. Nasty, rainy days in the brush, off comes the scope. Shooting is going to be inside 100 anyway, and it's sure nice not to mess with scopes and scope covers when the shooting is close and fast. Pick the sights that best suit your eyes and tastes, but it's receiver sights for me.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

The idea of Iron Sights on a scoped rifle appeals to me, whether for backup or use in the rain.

I usta have 3 rifles like that, but now only 2 since I rebarreled one of'em. And, on the one, the iron sight value is only for looks. (They really do LOOK good.

However, I have other rifles that have ONLY Iron Sights, and there's more to it than just having iron sights. Such sights need to be adjustable, and IMO, not just "crudely adjustable" although that will serve if you can get them adjusted in the first place.

Make sure you can see them. (If it's a bead and a small one I can't see the front sight.) Well, they need to be sights that you can see well enough to be useful. I like a POST for a front sight, and like BB says "it's receiver sights for me". A peep, or aperture that has a lot of adjustment.

With regular iron sights, I've found myself, filing down the steps on the elevator and knocking the sights left and right in the dovetail.

Receiver sights, like the Lyman, can be expensive, nowadays, even used ones, but they're worth it if you need or want iron sights.

I don't discount all the things that Hodge mentioned, even though I've not experienced them all. Iron sights can be of dubious value for a Scoped rifle, but if you get something that will work for you, I say, go ahead on.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

It has to be a peep sight in the rear for me. I had just about lost my confidence in shooting iron sights then I put a couple rearward mounted peeps sights on a couple guns and I do think I can kill stuff without a scope again.

We all cross the thresholds of aging bodies sooner or later but I took it all with a grain of salt until I couldn't see rifle sights anymore. That was like a dagger now that I'm getting along real well with peep sights I feel like I have a new lease on life.

I would have your builder contact NECG and work together on a sight system. NECG peep that fits their scope mount works good and they are stout.If it was my build and the rifle going to Africa or Alaska I would look hard at a two leaf express sight set for fifty and one hundred and fifty yards with 200gr or more bullets.Thats me not a must for you.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I would have your builder contact NECG and work together on a sight system. NECG peep that fits their scope mount works good and they are stout.If it was my build and the rifle going to Africa or Alaska I would look hard at a two leaf express sight set for fifty and one hundred and fifty yards with 200gr or more bullets.Thats me not a must for you.
    A few years ago I had gunbugs put a set of NECG express sights from Brownell's on a rifle for me. He did an excellent job and the sights were first rate. Gunbugs matched the front and rear sights for a perfect fit.

Take a look at the pop up receiver sight Jim Brockman sells that is compatible with detachable Talley Rings. Then stick a NECG barrel band front sight with a flat post on it. Cut out some 8x8 inch squares of brown card board. Many targets are not iron sight friendly or real world practical, but scopes love them. If you can hit those brown squares at 200 yards with iron sights your good to go!

Depending on your scope mount style this may work as a light weight swap. No batteries and does well in rain. Kinda funky at first but works well after you get used to it.
    https://seeallopensight.com/product/see-all-open-sight/

My Tikka doesn't have irons and this is light enough that it can save a trip if needed. I know I could have irons installed, this is easy. Remove scope and slap on, verify still spot on.
    I have one on my rabbit gun and am happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by kubs View Post
    Depending on your scope mount style this may work as a light weight swap. No batteries and does well in rain. Kinda funky at first but works well after you get used to it.
    https://seeallopensight.com/product/see-all-open-sight/

My Tikka doesn't have irons and this is light enough that it can save a trip if needed. I know I could have irons installed, this is easy. Remove scope and slap on, verify still spot on.
    I have one on my rabbit gun and am happy with it.
    How precise is it?

Can you shoot a 1" group at 100 yards?

Does it fit the Rear Weaver Style Base?

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

SOTN:
    How precise is it?
    Seems as good as I can do with any irons. I wouldn't want to go much past 100yds, which is how I feel with irons these days anyway.

Honestly, I don't know. I ran it on my .22 and it is awesome. Then got a bug and slapped it on my 300wsm, after 2 adjustments I was hitting smaller than a pie plate at 100 offhand. For me it seemed good enough so I stopped there. I had also already put 45 rounds down range from prone so I was kinda done for the day.

I think so, I swapped all my stuff over to picatinny a bit ago. It uses a set screw to clamp to the groove so it should work. Q

Quote Originally Posted by kubs View Post
    SOTN:
    How precise is it?
    Seems as good as I can do with any irons. I wouldn't want to go much past 100yds, which is how I feel with irons these days anyway.

Honestly, I don't know. I ran it on my .22 and it is awesome. Then got a bug and slapped it on my 300wsm, after 2 adjustments I was hitting smaller than a pie plate at 100 offhand. For me it seemed good enough so I stopped there. I had also already put 45 rounds down range from prone so I was kinda done for the day.

I think so, I swapped all my stuff over to picatinny a bit ago. It uses a set screw to clamp to the groove so it should work. Q
    Thanks, that helps.

I'm pretty sure I CAN'T shoot a 1" group at 100 yards with iron sights. Sometimes, I can, or close to it, with a Scope.

I guess, I should have been thinking of this gadget as a substitute for IRON SIGHTS. It sounds as if,it's as precise as IRON sights.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.