Thread: New Copper River Section starting to shape up

Default New Copper River Section starting to shape up

Hi folks,

Been working like crazy to get this done, and it's getting close. I would appreciate some critique on the first page on the Copper River section; it's the "where to go" page. I'm intentionally keeping it general, to allow room for discovery. Pressure is increasing on that fishery, and my mission on this involves the following areas, concerning the Copper River fishery:

1. Help people become better dipnetters.

2. Provide a general overview of where to go.

3. Remind people about the private land issues.

4. Preach the conservation message (kings, picking up your trash and someone else's, don't cut firewood, dispose of fish waste properly, etc.).

5. Be prepared and self-contained.

There are other things, but these are some of the main ones.

Anyway, HERE"S THE LINK to the page. There will be at least two more. Three more if we try to do something with the subsistence fishery. Drop me a line if you have suggestions or comments. How can we make it better?

The salmon run charts are coming along. We're really close, I am told.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Looks good Mike! Definitely might try some new spots this year.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Default Second Copper River Page is up: Introduction to the Copper River

Okay, I have turned on our second Copper River page. This is intended as an introduction to both the personal-use and the subsistence fishery. Still more to do on it, but I would be very interested in your thoughts about this page. I may do one on the subsistence fishery later. One thing that would be a great help is if someone would care to do a drawing of a fish wheel, showing the main parts of it. Nothing too technical, just giving folks the general idea. Maybe also an idea what it costs to build and maintain one.

HERE IS THE LINK to the Introduction page.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Default Final Copper River Page is up: Copper River Logistics

Okay, here is the third Copper River page AT THIS LINK. That should wrap it up for now. I have learned that the Copper River is completely unlike other personal-use fisheries anywhere in Alaska, and nowhere is that more obvious than when you're talking about the logistics of getting there, staying there, taking care of your fish, and getting it all home. Not to mention the conservation dynamics.

Later, as I get more info, I will do another Copper River page, focused specifically on the subsistence fishery. For now, I am interested in your feedback on this new page, when you have time?

Thanks everyone, and have a great time dipnetting!

-Mike

Michael, I tried to buy a burger at the restaurant mentioned on that page. First of all, I only had $11 cash American and it wasn't enough. Secondly, they wouldn't take AMEX. I went across the street to the new burger shack and they fixed me up really good with a burger, tater tots, and a Dr. Pepper for way less. Had enough left over to leave a tip.

After a week of Ritz crackers, it was the best burger I have ever eaten.

Looks good. On the boat launch portion at O'Brien Creek, I was told there is a $30 launch fee. Might be something to add if that's the case.

Awesome guide, appreciate you taking the time to write it up!

Good comprehensive FAQ Michael.

I would get ride of the bold part of this sentence, or rework it to suggest that people are responsible to know who's land they are on and there is very little public land (as you did state). I'm not aware of any native corporation that allows un-permitted use of their lands unless clearly posted as such. Its private land, plain and simple.

"In some cases you are allowed to camp on or otherwise trespass on native corporation lands, however user fees are usually charged for access or for camping."

Suggesting in some cases its ok to trespass could make you liable afaik.

You can always direct people to DNR or the ADF&G Access Defense group in order to get more specific information about land ownership.