Thread: Valdez help

Default Valdez help

So I ran out of Valdez for the first time this last weekend. I have a small boat so I dont play around with the wind. Both days we had trouble getting out just to sit in a harbor and not catch anything and have the wind die down later in the afternoon.

Does the wind typically run pretty hard through the middle to late afternoon there? We spent a lot of time fishing for one halibut and 2 rock fish. Pretty brutal days. Got plenty of sun though.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Where are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What are ya...a fisherman...or a catcherman?

Quote Originally Posted by akfisherman View Post
    Where are you located?

I now live in Delta Junction after doing a 4 year "stint" in anchorage. Lol.

Disclaimer: I was not actually in jail, Anchorage just seems like one.

Under normal weather conditions, leave in the morning and ride the West to East winds back into port. Last couple of days because of the high pressure the winds have been funneling East to West. In that case, bend over. You are likely to have a rough ride all day.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

That's so true Mr Daveinthrbush. I try to leave port by 6am or before

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    I now live in Delta Junction after doing a 4 year "stint" in anchorage. Lol.

Disclaimer: I was not actually in jail, Anchorage just seems like one.
    I live in North Pole and try to fish Valdez as much as I can. My problem is I have no one to fish with and I really don't know any places to fish. I have a boat that can travel to rocky point and beyond. I have a 20' Hewescraft. I do excellent with shrimp and salmon...even when others are coming in empty

Quote Originally Posted by akfisherman View Post
    I live in North Pole and try to fish Valdez as much as I can. My problem is I have no one to fish with and I really don't know any places to fish. I have a boat that can travel to rocky point and beyond. I have a 20' Hewescraft. I do excellent with shrimp and salmon...even when others are coming in empty

Well Im always off on the weekends and down to explore. I have my own gear and have no issue splitting gas and can even tow if needed. If you ever need someone to tag along with you let me know. We can go and get it figured out. I usually do pretty good out of seward and homer but Im new up here so it will take a bit to get it figured out.

One of the ways I avoid the afternoon winds in Valdez is to run out when it is cool and calm and then I just find a place to camp overnight and head in after the winds lay down.

I know a little about fishing around there and live in NP, if anyone needs some ballast and gas money I'm available most times.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    One of the ways I avoid the afternoon winds in Valdez is to run out when it is cool and calm and then I just find a place to camp overnight and head in after the winds lay down.

I know a little about fishing around there and live in NP, if anyone needs some ballast and gas money I'm available most times.
    I saw a lot of guys coming in real early in the AM. I figured this is what they were doing but wasn't sure.

Yeah, it was a rough one this last weekend, but Ill take a bit of a beating to have the warmth and sunny skies. Valdez is known for its afternoon blow. As others have mentioned, try to either be in by 2pm or plan on staying out until 7-8ish if you are in a smaller boat and don't want to get beat up. Its not like that everyday, but you can plan on 2-3 foot chop anytime the sun is out with an occasional 4 footer thrown in just to keep you on your toes. Its best to take shelter in a bay and wet a line or take a nap until the action dies down if you have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    Yeah, it was a rough one this last weekend, but Ill take a bit of a beating to have the warmth and sunny skies. Valdez is known for its afternoon blow. As others have mentioned, try to either be in by 2pm or plan on staying out until 7-8ish if you are in a smaller boat and don't want to get beat up. Its not like that everyday, but you can plan on 2-3 foot chop anytime the sun is out with an occasional 4 footer thrown in just to keep you on your toes. Its best to take shelter in a bay and wet a line or take a nap until the action dies down if you have the time.
    Yeah we had plenty of 2 footers with the occasional 4 to throw some cold spray into my face which I do love. Ill get it figured out I guess.

It's a little choppy today outside of the port. Bli reef hasn't given up anything. Can't ever seem to find them. If anyone ever needs a boat let me know I have a 32. Always looking for shrimp and halibut spots

Quote Originally Posted by fish2keel View Post
    It's a little choppy today outside of the port. Bli reef hasn't given up anything. Can't ever seem to find them. If anyone ever needs a boat let me know I have a 32. Always looking for shrimp and halibut spots
    I would love to go down there with ya sometime. Let me know when you plan to go out next. I have a lot going on this month but I can always try to free up some time to go fishing.

You guys can count me in to help out. I've been down there a lot over the years and know a few decent places to go. Done it in everything from a 17 to a 40 foot boat.