Thread: AOPA Memberships and Insurance Providers

Default AOPA Memberships and Insurance Providers

First, are you an AOPA member? If so, what level did you decide to join at and why? I see 4 different annual membership options, and 2 lifetime options. Have you ever had reason to use the added services that AOPA offers? I'm still researching, but do medical providers (specifically Fairbanks) give discounts for FAA member medicals?

Secondly, how have you seen membership rates and services change, and over what time frame?

Third, how long have you been a member, and if for an extended time, and are not a lifetime member, why did you decide to just maintain an annual membership?

Fourth, do you carry any insurance for either your aircraft hull or liability? If so, who is your insurance provider, and why did you choose them?

I'm getting ready to renew my insurance policy (hull/liability) that I have w/ AOPA. I did not buy a membership last year, and now can't understand why I did not, as it appears AOPA gives a 5% discount for members on insurance. For a $2600 premium that would pay for the "Premier" level of annual membership plus more.

June 28 I'll have flown for 1 year. At this time I've got in over 130 hours in the C-170. Time to plan for the next 12 months. Life has been GREAT!

ARR

I am a member of AOPA. When I joined I was unaware of a life membership, and even looking today when I'm logged in and go to the renewal page I don't see an upgrade option. Thanks for pointing the option out, will call and make a change at next renewal. So why am I a member of AOPA? Because the FAA wants to eliminate GA altogether and the drone manufacturers will really want us out of the way and there is a lot more money in the drone industry then the GA industry. Plus if that isn't enough the democrats want to impose user fees on GA like exist in Europe so they have more money to fund their wealth redistribution programs. The only hope of extending GA's life is to have a strong voice and advocate that is not afraid of the government and is willing to stand up against them to protect what we love to do. Just like the NRA and other organizations the greater their membership base and war chest the better chance they have in succeeding.

At this time in our history it is imperative that we strongly support organizations that are working to protect our freedoms and passions. Do this as best as each of us can financially but also lend our voice. Let these organizations know what is important to us, they can't represent us as efficiently if we don't speak up.

Ladd Gardner Aviation Insurance is who I use. He has been able to get the best price and coverage, which for me includes off-airport insurance. AOPA was unable to insure my SQ-2 so I never asked if they could insure for off-airport operations.
    http://lgainsurance.com

Congrats on joining the flying community. And you are so right, Life is GREAT!
    Phil Whittemore
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space.

https://share.delorme.com/PhilWhittemore

AOPA member, yes. I never agreed with their policies and practices and never supported them until a few years ago when I needed help from their PPS aeromedical department so I joined and paid $99 to access Pilot Protection Services. That was the best money I could have spent and I've kept my membership since, primarily for PPS.

For insurance I've used Avemco for a long time. I get good coverage and good rates and have the option to downgrade to not in motion for fall and early winter. I got quotes from Ladd Gardner and they had decent rates but their quotes are based on airplane values that were less than I asked for. They argued that I'd have to justify the value. For my yearly summary Avemco came out cheaper with the few months of reduced coverage and Avemco has never questioned my declared value so I've stayed put.

Former, but long-term, AOPA member here. I let my membership lapse only when I sold the airplane. Of all the (professional) societies I have been affiliated with over the years AOPA has given the most benefit to its members, and at a very reasonable price.

I have had hotel and car rental discounts for being a member. Although I can't list all of their services that I used, I was amazed and impressed with the extent of the possibilities. The more you fly, and the more you fly out of your home base, the more you will realize how extensive those services are.

Avemco was also my insurance carrier for most years of my airplane ownership, primarily because they had the least restrictions about flying above the 60th degree of latitude and flying out of the US (Canada). Prices were also very competitive.

As I recall, membership was only around $30 per year. The annual flight directory alone was worth that price.

Fly safely.

Like DanC. I historically insured with Avemco. And while I was off-and-on with AOPA back in the sixties, I've now been a continuous member since 1972, 42-years. I believe that every flier should be a member, and the reasons are many, not the least of which his its continuing fight for GA.

I am an AOPA member...not lifetime, but multi-year.

Like Mr. Pid, I have quite strong disagreements with many of AOPA's policies and with their approach to addressing some issues...However, on the whole I think they provide a good voice for GA, although not all GA aircraft involve a turbine or clean strips and FBO's. AOPA's voice for GA and the PPS were the deciders for me to join.

When I inquired years ago, they wouldn't insure the -12 for my intended use. When my extended stay in the land of flat is done, I may consider them for insurance again.

I'm a member, mainly for the pilot protection services. As a professional pilot without any sort of legal team behind me like the airline pilots have with the unions, I need something in case something happens with the feds. Lawyer bills add up fast, and much like the cops, you don't ever talk to the FAA without an aviation lawyer present.

For advocating for GA, the EAA does a much better job.

As for insurance I use Falcon Insurance down in Soldotna. Less than half the price of AOPA's options.

Good feedback and information folks, thanks for taking the time to respond. Perhaps more pilots will weigh in.
    AOPA responded to my query, they do not offer a discount on insurance for members. I'll send quote requests to at least some of the carriers mentioned in responses above.
    To add to the questions, how many of you are professional pilots? Would you have made the same decisions to join AOPA if you were not commercial rated, and would you still have insurance?
    ARR

I've been a commercial pilot for many years. Still, I would join AOPA whether private or commercial. As for insurance, I've ALWAYS carried both hull and liability, including an umbrella. One never knows what lurks around the next turn, and to live with the possibility of losing home, car, airplane, and family is much too great a risk to gamble away on happenstance and good luck . . .

Excellent discussion - thank you! Private pilot for 15 years, but have never really given thought to joining. That will be changing tomorrow.

AOPA member continuously for the last few decades. I was on and off before that.
    The AOPA legal plan helped me TWICE....
    I used to have National Underwriters and they were great before they were bought out by AVEMCO.
    Then I had AVEMCO for awhile until they tried to burn me.
    I carry commercial use insurance via Llyods of London.
    I tied to swap back to AVMCO a year ago,,,,but they would not insure me as an instructor teaching floats.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Good feedback and information folks, thanks for taking the time to respond. Perhaps more pilots will weigh in.
    AOPA responded to my query, they do not offer a discount on insurance for members. I'll send quote requests to at least some of the carriers mentioned in responses above.
    To add to the questions, how many of you are professional pilots? Would you have made the same decisions to join AOPA if you were not commercial rated, and would you still have insurance?
    ARR
    Don't just start sending requests for quotes to every place you find. Airplane insurance is not like car insurance. You HAVE to go through a broker and most of the good brokers all get quotes from the same underwriters. An underwriter will not prepare the same quote 10 times. You'll notice on most requests for quotes it will ask if you have contacted another broker.

As to you're other question, I am a professional pilot, there's no way I wouldn't have insurance for at little as it costs me, and if I was employed by an airline I likely would be an EAA member and not an AOPA member.
    Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    AOPA member continuously for the last few decades. I was on and off before that.
    The AOPA legal plan helped me TWICE....
    I used to have National Underwriters and they were great before they were bought out by AVEMCO.
    Then I had AVEMCO for awhile until they tried to burn me.
    I carry commercial use insurance via Llyods of London.
    I tied to swap back to AVMCO a year ago,,,,but they would not insure me as an instructor teaching floats.
    Mine is underwritten by London Aviation Underwritters, which I think is the Alaska division of Lloyds.