Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a good left handed sheep rifle

Default Looking for a good left handed sheep rifle

I am looking for a good left handed sheep rifle. I have a .308 rifle right now but it is a bit on the heavy side (10 pounds w/ scope and ammo) and I am really looking to get lighter than that. Anything in .308, 280AI maybe even .270 would work or if you have some other suggestion also. I am up for used or new scoped or not Just want to find something so I can get it on the range and start shooting it. If anyone has something that fits this bill or knows where to look please point me in the right direction. This will be my first but not my last sheep hunt that's for sure. Thanks.

Look at the Tikka T3.

Another vote for the Tikka T3, I have one in .270 win and love it. Besides going custom it's the only lightweight rifle available for a southpaw.

Anywhere other than sportsmans warehouse that sells tikka?

I've had very good results with a Browning X-bolt...lots of LH versions. Not extremely heavy.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Savage 116.

Another check for Tikka T3.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

you should take a look at the ruger American. I am extremely impressed with the gun. I also own a 116 Savage and love it. Hard to beat the Tikka though.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

You can also find the Tikka T3 at Cabela's (best price) and BPS

Another vote for the Tikka. Low price and very good quality.

Great Northern Guns on Tudor/Wright usually has a good selection of left handed Tikka's. Their prices may be just a tad higher than the big box stores but I don't mind it support the local shops.

As far as chambering goes, the 308 would work fine at reasonable long range. Your familiarity with that round may help more for accuracy than the ballistic difference to those you mentioned. But if you want something different, the 7mm mag should be considered too. If it were me, I'd opt for the 30-06 for ability to throw bigger bullets for bigger animals on the same hunt.

Boondocks in Eagle River has quite a few LH Tikas now, I bought a LH Ruger American 7-08 under 1" out of the box and around $425 scoped about 6.25#. Hard to top. PM me i have quite a few LH rifles may sell one.

I have a browning A-bolt lightweight hunter in .25-06 that's good for sheep (about 6.5 - 7 lbs with a Leupold VX II 3-9X40 scope and sling). Also own a Tikka T3, but that's in .338 WM -- a tad heavy. For grins, on proxibid there's a LH package of Rugers, both M-77s . . . one .25-06 and the other a .375 Ruger in the M-77 Alaskan . . . have to buy the package but heck, that would cover AK game very well, depending on final bid.

Pretty much any caliber from .243 - .300 WM/WSM can work nicely for sheep, but packaging the caliber with a LH, nice shooting, lightweight rifle is another story. Just can't go wrong with the Tikka LH in .25-06, .270, .270 WSM, or .260 remington.

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

I own a Tikka T3 in 300 WSM, a Savage 116 Weather Warrior in .308, a Browning Micro Hunter in .270 SM, and a Remington 700 in 7mmSTW--all lefties. Killed a grizzly with the Tikka and a nice Dall sheep and mountain goat with the Remington. They are all nice rifles but I like the Savage best of all !! It is light, very accurate, reasonably priced, and fits me perfectly!

More money than the ones listed so far but a Forbes would be a solid choice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Tikka T3 Lite. They don't do a Superlite in LH but the Lite is only ounces heavier. I've had my .270 for 6 years and have taken 4 sheep, 2 goats, several deer and a couple black bears with it. GREAT rifle, light and accurate and durable. I just bought a T3 Lite chambered in 30-06 and may never kill another Alaskan animal with any other rifle...you'd be foolish not to purchase this packable and affordable left handed rifle. (I should get comp points for this endorsement)
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

I have to plus one for tikka t3, i have had a weatherby 340 but wanted a lighter rifle for sheep and some long distance hunts, and so i got a 30-06 and have loved it. I did change out the recoil pad, but i have loved it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really like the LH Ruger American 7-08, have more than a few custom and factory LH rifles. MRC SS LH 6.5 x 284 with a Mcmillion Edge,CZ SS LH 270 WSM and quite a few LH Rugers, and Rem 700,s.

The Rugers seem to shoot great once bedded and the more money i spend on a custom rifle, it seems
    they are very fussy.

Kind of coming full circle!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    More money than the ones listed so far but a Forbes would be a solid choice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Did they get all the issues worked out of those rifles?? I know last year a lot of pissed of folks buying them and had to be sent back to the factory to be fixed. Also the bedding job on them looked like a 60yr old blindman did it as well. To the OP buy a Tikka and be done with it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast