Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REMOTE CABIN ++++WILD FOREST FIRE.......any IDEAS.......????

Default REMOTE CABIN ++++WILD FOREST FIRE.......any IDEAS.......????

OK.......NOT looking for a list of things that should have been done months or years in advance. For this thread assume a safe distance was cleared around the cabin two years ago, and vibrant green grass is growing, etc.

SO to be clear NOT wanting a list of what should have been done. However I am wondering is there some at the last hour thing that could be done.....????

LIKE take fifty bottles of dish washing soap and but in a open top 55 gallon drum, add water, mix, insert trash pump and hose the cabin. (I just made that up, but that is the type of last hour Hail Mary pass that I am wondering about).

IDEAS...............

If you have a constant water supply with pressure, put a sprinkler on the roof and just let it run.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sprinklers running in the woodline will bring up moisture there too. During Millers Reach fire, I ran sprinklers all around the woods surrounding my house. Because you can only run so many sprinklers at the same time, I alternated to the ones on the roof when the wind was dropping hot ashes.

While you may have a defensible space around the house, I recommend go beyond that and remove any low hanging branches on spruce trees out in the woodline and hauling those far away from the defensible space. Fire jumps to low spruce branches from minor ground level fuels.

What is amazing to me is the distance it jumped- across the highway with shoulders on both sides is a long way and much more than most would have cleared around a cabin. When I lived in Idaho, the recommendation was clearing 50 ft from the home and many people put gravel instead of a lawn.
    I know people affected by this fire and some folks on the forums are affected too. It is a serious eye opener for me and developing a plan for my property...

The 55 gal drums, dish soap, and trash pump idea isn't far fetched. Beats a burning cabin for sure.

Well it is just a matter WHEN for me.........NOT if there will be a forest fire here. I fired up the dozer today and push stuff back even further.

I wonder if there is something sticky that could be added to the soap solution........???

Quote Originally Posted by Muskeg_Stomper View Post
    The 55 gal drums, dish soap, and trash pump idea isn't far fetched. Beats a burning cabin for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    What is amazing to me is the distance it jumped- across the highway with shoulders on both sides is a long way and much more than most would have cleared around a cabin. When I lived in Idaho, the recommendation was clearing 50 ft from the home and many people put gravel instead of a lawn.
    I know people affected by this fire and some folks on the forums are affected too. It is a serious eye opener for me and developing a plan for my property...
    The embers and hot coals can float along in the wind for quite a ways, then they ignite new fuel. A big fire creates it's own wind.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Default REMOTE CABIN ++++WILD FOREST FIRE.......any IDEAS.......????

Good plan AGL4now. A larger defensible space sure doesn't hurt your place's chance during a wildfire. Yes, fires can spot and take off over surprising distances. One can at least help the odds in their favor. Best of luck to you!

Everyone hit on the dish soap. Don't need a lot, just enough to reduce the water surface tension. Dish soap helps make the water wetter and more easily soak into burnt and burning wood. smells bad on a campfire but goes right to the heart of a burning log to kill the deep coals and even faster on burning bruch.

Good Luck
    All paradise rests in the shadow of swords." ~K. Yates

Definetly have a water supply and a gas powered trash pump. Word is one man in Sterling bought one after last years fire.
    Supposedly saved his home and a couple others with it as well as filing up a fire truck or two yesterday.
    His house was on the river so plenty of water to use.
    Also be sure and test out your pump every once in a while so you know it works and how to work it properly.And winterize it each fall.
    Ones that auto prime are nice. A bit less GPH but overall easier to use.
    Make up a good hose setup with a good fire nozzle. I prefer camloc fittings as they are much easier to use than threaded NPT or Fire hose fittings.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Well it is just a matter WHEN for me.........NOT if there will be a forest fire here. I fired up the dozer today and push stuff back even further.
    Have Dozer, the farther the better

I miss my D-8 with a 13 foot blade.

I miss my D-8 with a 13 foot blade.
    I Bet!!! Now that is a getter done kinda Machine

I have a Case 550 dozer and a Volvo L70 loader at the ready in Nikiski. Won't help my cabin at Gray Cliff right now, but I would for sure be adding to the cleared area around my home if one starts up in Nikiski. I already have pretty good defensible space, but would certainly make more.
    At my cabin, I have rain barrels under the gutters to collect water, and a large cleared area. But if the area is over run by fire, I figure the chances of the cabin surviving are slim. Sadly.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

This Fire Retardant product that is dropped on fires. Is it available to the general public to purchase.........????

This Fire Retardant product that is dropped on fires. Is it available to the general public to purchase.........????
    Yes apparently so. The companies website doesn't list the price but it appears they do sell a home protection kit with an undyed product.
    http://phoschek.com/industry/homeowners/
    It appears to be in the $50 range + shipping of $12+.
    One jug apparently covers 100 feet of grass 30 feet of brush or 10 feet of trees.
    So it appears to be pretty expensive stuff if you had a large area to protect.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=phos...sm=93&ie=UTF-8
    If you end up buying some let us know the details. Maybe there is a cheaper site or an Alaskan vendor not listed on the company website.
    Might be an interesting business venture for some Alaskan entrepreneur.

There is a Foam solution that can be purchased to mix with the water that sprays on and leaves the suds in place up to a few hours, I have made machines that spray this Foam. The forest service uses it to put down a line next to the roads when slash burning.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerberman View Post
    There is a Foam solution that can be purchased to mix with the water that sprays on and leaves the suds in place up to a few hours, I have made machines that spray this Foam. The forest service uses it to put down a line next to the roads when slash burning.
    You are thinking AFF(aqueous film forming foam) that most fire departments use. It works well on oil/gasoline type fires as water just spreads the fire but the foam smothers it.
    It is mixed at very low ratios like 3 parts foam to 97 parts water.
    Do not use water to clean up the spilled foam!. This stuff it like 100 times foamier than dish soap.
    I used to have to service foam stations on the slope.
    I could see this being beneficial for spraying on a cabin in the event of a fire.

You can get class a foam, or dump soap in the drum, we used to dump ivory snow flakes in the tank of the fire engine before we got a CAFs system.
    The key is to keep the structure wet. Also boarding up any windows will help as radiant heat will pass through windows and can set things inside the cabin on fire.
    Also take down any window coverings.
    Remove any thing that could harbor embers, like fire wood around the cabin
    Turn off all fuel sources and remove if possible
    Bring food and beverages to the firefighters
    Pray
    Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast