Thread: Fishing the Alaska Highway

Default Fishing the Alaska Highway

Okay gang I'm about to drive from Fairbanks to Boise ID and I am debating either taking my time and fishing some along the way (6ish days) or staying around in Fairbanks and just doing it as a suicide run (3ish days). It will be just myself and the dog as the wife and little ones are flying down later.

I don't think I would be chartering (no where to leave the dog) so it would be DIY fishing. Anyone got any "must fish" stops along that route I am more interested in areas with lots of fish (even if smaller) then some kind of special target fishing (like steelhead).

Thanks for any tips.

Quote Originally Posted by jaeger33 View Post
    Okay gang I'm about to drive from Fairbanks to Boise ID and I am debating either taking my time and fishing some along the way (6ish days) or staying around in Fairbanks and just doing it as a suicide run (3ish days). It will be just myself and the dog as the wife and little ones are flying down later.

I don't think I would be chartering (no where to leave the dog) so it would be DIY fishing. Anyone got any "must fish" stops along that route I am more interested in areas with lots of fish (even if smaller) then some kind of special target fishing (like steelhead).

Thanks for any tips.
    It's been a few years since I drove the Alcan up to Anchorage, but the MILEPOST had some good suggestions concerning streams or lakes that were adjacent to the highway. I bought the required canadian license for each of the territories we passed through, and although I don't recall the names of the lakes we camped by, there were several that had nice populations of grayling and were a great relaxation to play with at the end of the day.

I think that your AK fishing license is good for the Yukon Terr. Check their regs.

yes do check the regs. you might save some money if you get caught as there are some special waters that you will need a different licence in some . . of there parks as I know could be wrong but do check it is your pocket book . PS do check what it takes to bring a dog in & out of Can. befor you leave
    I had to turn back one time because of it SID