Thread: Scope for range

Default Scope for range

I'm looking to get a scope for my SRH Toklat for the range. I don't hunt and I won't use the scope when I carry while backpacking. It will be solely for having a little fun at the range. I don't want to spend a lot of money. Any suggestions?

Red dot? I bought the Wife an Ultra-dot for her AR and she loves it. I took into account how many big bore handgunners were giving it good praise.

One more for ultra-dot. Don't let anything stick out past the muzzel.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

If you decide to go with a scope. Give a good hard look at the Weaver Classic 2x28. I've had one on my SBH 45 Colt for a few years and have shot hundreds if not 1000's of heavy 45 Colt loads with it. I've packed it a bunch in the woods including an 8 day walk in backpacking Sheep Hunt and it holds zero and is very good optically. Lifetime warranty also. Weaver claims it will hold up to 1000's of rounds of 454 C. Excellent value for it's quality and price.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Ultra Dot times 4 for me. Going to put one on my 92 Rossi .44 mag...so quick and easy to shoot...there's one on my wife's AR too.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I've got a 2x Leupold on my Toklat..............
    "The older I get, the better I was."

All of my T/C handguns have Burris scopes. I have been happy with them. They have held their zero even on my SSK custom barrels in 375JDJ and 470 Nitro Express.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    If you decide to go with a scope. Give a good hard look at the Weaver Classic 2x28. I've had one on my SBH 45 Colt for a few years and have shot hundreds if not 1000's of heavy 45 Colt loads with it. I've packed it a bunch in the woods including an 8 day walk in backpacking Sheep Hunt and it holds zero and is very good optically. Lifetime warranty also. Weaver claims it will hold up to 1000's of rounds of 454 C. Excellent value for it's quality and price.

I don't care for a scope on a handgun, and I don't hunt with a handgun, but If I did, and did, that looks like THE way to go for both Gun AND Scope.

It's purty Sleek, AND Slick.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

A scope is super on the range but sucks for hunting. The two problems are light to your eye, need 5mm exit pupil but light scatters from a long eye relief, the other is you see shakes and will tend to yank the trigger as the cross hair crosses the target. Great from a rest with enough light though.
    Those that can shoot a scoped handgun off hand can be counted on two fingers.
    I prefer the red dot. But open sights can't be denied, only my old eyes have removed them. Yet the best group testing is always a scope. Darn even a Tasco pistol scope works, tough sucker. I have an OLD Loopy that has been on every gun to the .500's without a hitch.

Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    Those that can shoot a scoped handgun off hand can be counted on two fingers.
    Was I one of those fingers? Yea I can shoot a scoped handgun offhand with little trouble at all, no different than open sites to me. And I also hunt scoped and had no trouble at all but that is western spot and stalk hunting in Alaska and Arizona not stand hunting in the wee hours back east so I do see your point.

For me the trick with handgun scopes is nothing ever over 2 power, you don't need it and it harms way more than helps. I run a Leupold FX-II 2X20 but if I could find a variable that would go to 1X I'd be tickled. You NEED a quality optic on a handgun or you wont get enough eye relief to shoot it like a handgun, you'll be bending your elbows to get it closer.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Was I one of those fingers? Yea I can shoot a scoped handgun offhand with little trouble at all, no different than open sites to me. And I also hunt scoped and had no trouble at all but that is western spot and stalk hunting in Alaska and Arizona not stand hunting in the wee hours back east so I do see your point.

For me the trick with handgun scopes is nothing ever over 2 power, you don't need it and it harms way more than helps. I run a Leupold FX-II 2X20 but if I could find a variable that would go to 1X I'd be tickled. You NEED a quality optic on a handgun or you wont get enough eye relief to shoot it like a handgun, you'll be bending your elbows to get it closer.
    I agree 100% that a scope is best at 1X.
    You sure do not want a scope close with what I shoot or you will pick your eye out of the end. The higher the power the darker they get too.
    I like Ultra Dots because there is no magnification and they are like opens but you do not have to align front to rear.
    A scope needs light and a rest. I seen too many deer come in but could not see them in the scope or even see cross hairs. Wait for full light and deer are long gone.

I found a good variable made a huge difference when working up loads with my 480 SRH. I used the long since discontinued simmons gold medal 2.5-7, but I believe the weaver 2.5-8 is essentially the same scope. While I shoot rifles fine with lower magnification, I found the added magnification really helped me tighten up my groups and work up the most accurate loads.

Be willing to spend some money, because a 454 revolver will destroy most inexpensive scopes sooner or later.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I would go to a scope for target shooting and working loads from a bench. Can't be beat but if you go variable, get the lightest one you can. Revolvers do some nasty stuff to heavy scopes.
    I admit to not being able to keep trigger control off hand with a waving scope.

I should figure a way to get a small rail mounted on the top then I could use an EoTech 512 holograph sight that I have. It can hold up to the 454 punishment all day long. My hands won't, however.