Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vented gas cans

Default Vented gas cans

I just saw this on another forum and thought I'd pass it along. I KNOW everyone hates the new unvented gas cans
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=F6WZ9FrXPiE
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I saw that on the forums somewhere awhile back.
    What I did was to order some of these kits. I think they will work great.
    http://ezpourspout.com/
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I saw that on the forums somewhere awhile back.
    What I did was to order some of these kits. I think they will work great.
    http://ezpourspout.com/

I still vent my fuel cans as shown in the video, plus use the spouts you posted. However, instead of the rubber tire stem shown in the video, I buy the metallic ones with nylon inserts. The rubber ones aren't fuel resistant.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    I still vent my fuel cans as shown in the video, plus use the spouts you posted. However, instead of the rubber tire stem shown in the video, I buy the metallic ones with nylon inserts. The rubber ones aren't fuel resistant.
    The EZ pour spout kits come with a replacement vent as well as the spout.
    Just drill a hole the correct size and snap them in.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Those vent kits can be found at the Eagle River Trustworthy hardware store too.

Best can for pouring gas is one of these. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...C2-Utility-Jug

Get them in different colors. One for diesel, wheeler gas, av gas etc. You can empty 6 gallons in half the time as a vented gas can.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...eluxe-Jug-Tube

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    The EZ pour spout kits come with a replacement vent as well as the spout.
    Just drill a hole the correct size and snap them in.
    Will look into that. Sounds like a good idea.

Ebay has the standard yellow plastic vent caps listed by multiple dealers for $7 for 25 with free shipping. Handy to have a bunch of them in your tool box for future use as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in_AK View Post
    Ebay has the standard yellow plastic vent caps listed by multiple dealers for $7 for 25 with free shipping. Handy to have a bunch of them in your tool box for future use as well.
    I have a few of the old cans that only need spouts, and the black plastic vent caps. Then I bought a few of the new gas cans, and these are worthless unless you modify them. That's what I have been doing lately, and the EZ-Pour spots may work.

Quote Originally Posted by MTfisher View Post
    Best can for pouring gas is one of these. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...C2-Utility-Jug

Get them in different colors. One for diesel, wheeler gas, av gas etc. You can empty 6 gallons in half the time as a vented gas can.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...eluxe-Jug-Tube
    This is what all of my new cans are. But I think I'll try the tire stem mod on a few old ones and see how it works
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Watch Craigslist for the old style cans, folks are always moving and can't ship used cans. I picked up 12 cans for $30 last year, only one was the new style. The old cans are like finding bricks of .22LR on the shelf!

I just drill a hole to fit a cheap squirt gun stopper.

I drill a hole and use a short lag screw.

Motorcycle valve stems are metal and have a nut with a crush washer to seal the stem to the gas can. The bent ones stay low profile, too.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Tu...-/281184345114

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Motorcycle valve stems are metal and have a nut with a crush washer to seal the stem to the gas can. The bent ones stay low profile, too.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Tu...-/281184345114
    Those are cheap enough. I bought the cheapest stainless steel valve stems I could find at NAPA (somewhere under $3.00 each). But the worst thing about the non-vented cans for the past three years or so is the pouring spout that has to be unlocked before it allows fuel to flow. One has to have arms like an orangutan to hold a five gallon can of fuel up in the air for ten minutes and longer, specially if the fill port is more than four feet from the ground

Something else about the new gas cans is that under the sun the things swell-up like a balloon. One has to make sure one does not unlock the spout by accident, because the pressure shoots the fuel and gasses out of the tcan in whichever direction the spout is pointing.

Are any of you doing anything different to vent the now ventless boat gas cans.....you know, the ones that the fuel line attaches to?

Are all vented boat cans now banned?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Those are cheap enough. I bought the cheapest stainless steel valve stems I could find at NAPA (somewhere under $3.00 each). But the worst thing about the non-vented cans for the past three years or so is the pouring spout that has to be unlocked before it allows fuel to flow. One has to have arms like an orangutan to hold a five gallon can of fuel up in the air for ten minutes and longer, specially if the fill port is more than four feet from the ground

Something else about the new gas cans is that under the sun the things swell-up like a balloon. One has to make sure one does not unlock the spout by accident, because the pressure shoots the fuel and gasses out of the tcan in whichever direction the spout is pointing.
    I shot gas all over my then new camper back canvas a couple years back I now just leave the spouts loose when I Park the boat. I have one small can that is round now and I keep it as a refined to always leave the cap loose.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I shot gas all over my then new camper back canvas a couple years back I now just leave the spouts loose when I Park the boat. I have one small can that is round now and I keep it as a refined to always leave the cap loose.
    That's exactly the main problem with the non-vented gas cans. I understand that the Government has imposed the rule about not venting fuel fumes, on the can manufacturers. But this in turn has made the cans extremely dangerous to the consumers, and worst on the environment. On top of still venting fumes under extreme pressure, the new cans spray fuel all over the place (including oneself, if one does not pay attention). And that's what happens when some "know and do nothing" sitting at a desk comes up with new rules. The idea probably started in CA, but I could be wrong.

There is something else that happens when you pour gasoline out of the can, and is as follows: some of the spouts consist of two parts that slide on each other when the can is pressed down on the car's tank's opening. When this takes place, some of the spouts leak fuel right at the middle where the two pieces slide over each other. In other words, instead of making the fuel cans more environmentally safe and safer for the consumer as well, they have made the cans unsafer in all respects. More fuel than ever is spilled, which results in more fumes in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Are any of you doing anything different to vent the now ventless boat gas cans.....you know, the ones that the fuel line attaches to?

Are all vented boat cans now banned?
    The reason I asked about this is because I'm sure one of the new ventless cans totally flooded out my engine one day as it was sitting in the hot sun.

Won't make that mistake again.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I like the Tuff Jug Ripper spout for utility jugs, seems to work well for me so far, perfect for machines, needs an adapter to fit cars and small openings though. Also the included washer doesn't seem to fit all utility jug brands very well and may require some trimming to seal well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast