Thread: Flies in my garden

Default Flies in my garden

I have a question about flies in my garden. I think I made a great environment for them with my awesome compost. I think there are larvae in the compost that are hatching into flies that are harming my zucchini plants. They are small flies that look like fruit flies that I looked up on the internet. I saw a post recently where someone covered a garden bed with mosquito netting to keep flies off the onions. My garden is quite large and I cannot cover it up. Now that is is planted, is there anything I can put on the soil to kill these pest, or do I have to wait till after harvest? If so, what do I use to kill them off so they don't hatch again next year? This week I have been using diatomaceous earth, cayenne pepper, and I even resorted to sprinkling "Seven" around the zucchini plants. I do not want to lose my crops to these pesty flies. If anyone has advice on what I should use, when to use it, and how to use it to kill these critters, I would be very grateful.

Not sure if your garden flies would be attracted, but those disposable 'Rescue' brand fly traps ( I think Home Depot has them ) work great for eliminating most other bothersome flies, you could give it a try anyway.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Not sure if your garden flies would be attracted, but those disposable 'Rescue' brand fly traps ( I think Home Depot has them ) work great for eliminating most other bothersome flies, you could give it a try anyway.
    Thanks for the suggestion Tearbear. I'll pass the info along to my wife.

Well I won't guarantee that it takes care of your specific garden flies, but I can goll darn guarantee those traps will sure fill up fast with all those other nasty flies...they work very well for barns, dog runs, etc. Make sure you position them upwind from the area you like to be, cause they are a bit stinky.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Darn flies. I had a cut worm working my swiss chard that I believe was also from compost we turned into the garden this year. First time that has happened, but also the first time we have turned our own compost into the soil, too. Found him the other morning and squished him with great satisfaction and dramatic flair.

Hope you can find a way to get rid of the flies... I am the one who posted about the mosquito net... and it is working quite suitably for 4x4 raised beds. Doubt very much it would be effective on a large, open ground garden though.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!