Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WILLOW WILD FIRE update..........requested PLEASE

Default WILLOW WILD FIRE update..........requested PLEASE

So who has eyeballs on site...........???

http://www.adn.com/article/20150614/...oms-1000-acres

I've been listening to the Matsu scanner a bit. Evacuating as far south as Long lake rd and Deshka Landing now. Had to re-evacuate folks from the community center to Houston. Making folks on Hatchers Pass road evac to Palmer side if they can get through. Last word was 1800 acres and moving fast. 0% contained. It's gonna rip, especially with the winds up there right now.

This site usually gets updated frequently >>> http://akfireinfo.com/
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

I've been following it closely because I have friends with dog kennels in the area, many of whom have evacuated and several of whom have already lost their homes. The fire's jumped Willow Creek. It's shocking how quickly this one blew up, and how little notice people had that they needed to boogie. There's an unconfirmed rumor that there's 44,000lbs of explosives at a gravel pit in the fire path.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

4000 acres now.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

More than 6,000 now.

Wife just said the wind is blowing pretty good today... Add to that another 80 plus degree day.. not looking good today, read they asked for 5 additional hot shot crews from lower 48 as well... I read they are just trying to save homes now.

It wouldn't bother me in the least if they outlawed all sales & setting off of fireworks up here, there are enough fires already that are started by lightening, unattended fires, campfires that are not extinguished, etc. to keep those firefighters busy, without the added concern of a bunch of pyromaniacs on the loose with fireworks.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    It wouldn't bother me in the least if they outlawed all sales & setting off of fireworks up here, there are enough fires already that are started by lightening, unattended fires, campfires that are not extinguished, etc. to keep those firefighters busy, without the added concern of a bunch of pyromaniacs on the loose with fireworks.
    Is this what was determined as the cause, I rolled out of deshka landing last night and was watching the smoke build the whole ride up the su from Alexander creek

Not sure if fireworks were the cause, though people that lived on Sockeye claimed they heard fireworks Sat & Sun in their neighborhood. Fireworks were the cause of the Miller Reach fire.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Fires on the peninsula now as well. Near Sterling

Got stuck north of the fire and had to wait to travel trough until they opened early this morning,, fire burning up to about 10 miles of the parks with multiple buildings and power poles burnt. High winds made for a firestorm.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Fireworks were the cause of the Miller Reach fire.
    Those who do not remember/learn from history are doomed to repeat it...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Funny how they know how most of these fires started right away but can't seem to determine the cause of the Funny river fire?
    From what I heard the origin of that fire is very near where refuge staff had piled brush to be burned. But it remains a mystery. I doubt refuge staff had anything to do with it.

The Card street fire is sure growing fast. Hopefully they can get it under control soon.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Funny how they know how most of these fires started...
    Well they don't know for sure how the Willow 'Sockeye' fire started...officially...just rumors from people that live where it started, saying they heard fireworks that night and the next morning, and then suddenly there's a wildfire...
    "Grin and Bear It"

The Caribou hills fire was started by a guy sharpening a shovel with a grinder.
    The Glacier creek fire was started by a careless campfire.
    I remember one in Anchorage or the valley where some kids were huffing Gasoline. They spilled some and to hide it from dad they thought they would burn the spilled gas so he didn't find out. Well it quickly got out of control and a wildfire started.
    Any way my point is that although Fireworks start fires so do lots of other things. We have a temporary fire burn here and that should include any kind of fireworks while the ban is in place.
    But an outright ban on fireworks year round is unwarranted IMHO.
    Unless we ban campfires year round as they seem to start more fires than anything.
    I used to be a wildfire fighter working Helitak with the helicopters. In the area I lived the arsonists setting these things used everyday household items to start their fires. Fireworks were not used or needed.
    I won't print their methods here but it was ridiculously simple and effective when done right.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Well they don't know for sure how the Willow 'Sockeye' fire started...officially...just rumors from people that live where it started, saying they heard fireworks that night and the next morning, and then suddenly there's a wildfire...
    If one wanted a ban to make the greatest impact ever on fires, ban cigarettes. House fires, wildfires, fires of all manner. Not to mention the health implications it would have. There is no good that comes from smoking whatsoever.
    (Not to imply that I'm for govt telling us how to live.)
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Yes I agree with you both, Cod & Chris...yet I still have a strong disliking of fireworks, maybe that stems from the way some jerky neighbors I used to have, that would fire their bottlerockets at my house, my dogs...one time I found a burned spot in the grass by the house, with the spent firework laying there. Anyways, like I said it wouldn't bother me in the least little bit if they were not allowed.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Personally it wouldn't bother me a bit either

Rumors are only rumors, but consider the sources credible. Folks cant say with 100% certainty that it was the fireworks that started it, but they know WHO did start it. I have confidence their names will be named and prosecuted fully, in due time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast