Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone out there fond of the Ruger 77/44 mag.

Default Anyone out there fond of the Ruger 77/44 mag.

I just found an old reloading manual that went missing relatively early in my shooting/reloading career.

I was looking at my old 223 load notes and those notes reminded me of how much I used to despise the mini- 14. I also had some pretty negative notes in regards to a Ruger 77/44 mag that didn't shoot so well. However that gun belonged to a local gun shop and I just played with it till the ammo was shot up. I don't think it got a fair shake.......Heck-a-fire there was even a time when I hated anything from Glock.

Here I am all these years later with a Glock bumper sticker on my truck and I own a couple of Mini-14s that I would not trade for any black gun. As I see it back in those days I had never given Glock a chance. They sounded like a dart gun when dry fired and the Mini 14 that I had back then wouldn't work with any of the dozen after market magazines that were thrown in on the deal.

I have come to realize is that both the Glocks & Mini 14s are a whole lot better now-a-day than they used to be. I have also come to realize that I wasn't smart enough to pour pi$$ out of a boot in regards to good vs evil in the guns and shooting world. I ate whatever the gun rags spoon fed to me.

Now this brings us to the Ruger 77 44 mag. Does anybody in the Great land or elswhere use the 77/44? I would sure appreciate some feed back if you don't mind.

I have one. I figure it is a near perfect Alaskan E&E or survival firearm. If you get one and do a 30MM tubed optic with QR rings.......strongly suggest talk to Warne and order direct. It is do'able, but they have to take one ring from two different systems.

I don't like the fold'down rear sight, but I never liked fold'down rear sights period. I figure with 4 or 8 of the most powerful bear loads, 10 or 15 CCI shot shells for meat for the pot, and 5 or 8 loads of .44 special (wad-cutter) that a guy can go on a 30 day walk'about, and be safe and eat well.

I have the stainless with the camo stock. Get a spare magazine. To be honest, if it I was not in Alaska, I would choose the .357/77 Ruger.

Had one. It was ok but lever was better. Before you depend on those shot shells take them out and pattern those things. Makes a big rattler real mad even at striking distance.

The 77/44 also makes a great platform to make a silenced 44 mag from, there is a gunsmith in Bend Oregon that does a great job of it. Shoots great and is quiet also. No use to wake up the neighbors to get rid of a varmint.

Don't own one, but have been tempted for a long time. A bud is goofy about his, and I've shot it a fair bit.

In his hands it responded really well to tuning. His special love is chasing ragged holes at 100 with cast bullets. Just his "thing." And his 77/44 has turned out to be one of the better platforms. His tuning includes bore lapping, bedding and trigger job, but also a lot of pretty arcane load development. A whole lot of attention to bullet diameter relative to bore size, seating depth, alloys, lubes, velocities and bullet weight.

Even if your interests don't run to cast bullets, my bet is that it will be a very useful platform as others have pointed out, even if your "platform" is nothing more than dragging it out of the box and shooting it with factory loads.

5.2 pounds and 38" OAL And optic bases machined into receiver............enough power to stop a fire'breathing 1,884 pound 14'-9" Brown Bear, that is easy to looove.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I have one. I figure it is a near perfect Alaskan E&E or survival firearm. If you get one and do a 30MM tubed optic with QR rings.......strongly suggest talk to Warne and order direct. It is do'able, but they have to take one ring from two different systems.

I don't like the fold'down rear sight, but I never liked fold'down rear sights period. I figure with 4 or 8 of the most powerful bear loads, 10 or 15 CCI shot shells for meat for the pot, and 5 or 8 loads of .44 special (wad-cutter) that a guy can go on a 30 day walk'about, and be safe and eat well.

I have the stainless with the camo stock. Get a spare magazine. To be honest, if it I was not in Alaska, I would choose the .357/77 Ruger.
    I agree, would make a great survival gun, with SS and Synthetic stock, Heavy bullet loads, and Light, plus shotshells. Extry magazines, you bet.

I'd be OK with a 357, even here.

QD Weaver Style rings, Scope AND Receiver Sights. OOOOh My.

I think that it would be Potentially more accurate than any LA I've owned.

It's on my list, but I dunno if it's #1

Smitty of the North

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I think that it would be Potentially more accurate than any LA I've owned.
    If my bud's rifle is any example, bet on it. Only 44 I've seen that I'd call AS accurate was my old Remington 788. Young punk fool that I was when I moved up here in 1975, I actually listened to someone telling me that it would be useless up here.

Do you think I'd have seen a clue in his offer (successful) to buy it from me? Just color me stoooopid, then and maybe still today.

I've toyed with the idea of one forever. A buddy in TN is using his for whitetails in the big oak thickets and it does very well at it. He reports OAL is pretty critical with the magazine...so the really heavy cast boolits might be an issue. With 240s at standard length it'll flatten a deer at 100 long paces- and that's what he uses it for.

I can't say it'd be "better" than a lever gun since I've got a soft spot for them....but the soft spot doesn't really extend into my gun cabinet. I have one lever (a family hand me down) and a bunch more bolt actions.

From my standpoint- it's likely a very good rifle and more practically potent than any handgun. I'd skip the scope and go straight to an NECG aperture sight....that'd make that little rifle sing as far as you'd ever think of shooting one without adding weight or bulk.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

If I could justify the price of the lever version of this gun today, I'd have three. I love the idea for deer here in SE.....absolutely adore it. But the 338, 30 30, 300 savage, and 308 more than cover the options......someday.

I could have got one back in WI a few teen years ago for about 250....cannot believe I didnt' scrape up the cash. Have a 22 mag in the lever as well and love this platform. Short throw, light, nice balance and good lines....ugh, if only.

I already have several 44s so common sense would make one think........I guess I really never let common sense enter into it. I ain't got but one hobby so http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=488141692
    I wanted blued steel and walnut on this one.

Congratulations........you two will be very happy together. Nice wood on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Congratulations........you two will be very happy together. Nice wood on that one.
    Thanks! and just a word on "support.....'De-oligachisation". Right now multi-billionaire Bloomberg is going state to state pouring money into anti gun legislation. He has been to Iowa and as a result Des Moines, Dubuque and several other cities appear to be on board with enacting anti-gun legislation at a city by city level. They have also filed a law suit against the Iowa Gun Owners Coalition who up until just recently had staved off their aggression. You can guess where the funding for their lawsuit is coming from!

Why oh why is Bloomberg so interested in disarming America???!!!! It can only be plutocracy. If not..... then he sure is buying a whole lot of puppets for nothing! You can bet your bottom dollar that he and his know that they can not be in total control until the 2nd amendment is abolished and "we the people" become their sheep. End of short rant!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Thanks! and just a word on "support.....'De-oligachisation". Right now multi-billionaire Bloomberg is going state to state pouring money into anti gun legislation. He has been to Iowa and as a result Des Moines, Dubuque and several other cities appear to be on board with enacting anti-gun legislation at a city by city level. They have also filed a law suit against the Iowa Gun Owners Coalition who up until just recently had staved off their aggression. You can guess where the funding for their lawsuit is coming from!

Why oh why is Bloomberg so interested in disarming America???!!!! It can only be plutocracy. If not..... then he sure is buying a whole lot of puppets for nothing! You can bet your bottom dollar that he and his know that they can not be in total control until the 2nd amendment is abolished and "we the people" become their sheep. End of short rant!
    Yeah, it's all about power. The coming One World Government, etc. With Bloomberg, I think it's just a Cause, that he wants to support. He wants to control people, and use people, and people don't really know what's good for them, but HE does.

To the extent he succeeds, it's a feather in his cap, among those of like mind, he hangs with. You would not be able to convince him that he's working against HIS OWN best interests. He will always have $$$ and be in the Ruling Class.

The 2nd Amendment doesn't hafta be abolished, but only ignored, misinterpreted, or considered not up to the changing times. Already, it is considered to be "Limiting".

Lots of us, don't go along with that, of course, but we seem to be in the minority, with the cards stacked against us.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Well I got to draw blood with the 77/44. Rumors were flying about the mountain lion southwest of town that had been spotted by several individuals. Well I'm guessing that one out of 100 spotted mountain lions are actually mountain lions. This one killed some sheep as in a half a dozen sheep. Didn't eat them just killed them as in for sport. That in and of itself doesn't sound mountain lion like to me. All of this spotting is in the area of a nature preserve that butts up to my hunting lease. So a mountain lion is not completely out of question.

The night before last I was at my lease mowing in the rain when a large doe shot across the lane 100 feet in front of me. Then she stopped in the open timber and turned around and looked back across the road. I shut the mower off to listen and the doe paid no attention to me. Then I heard the bawling of a little fawn in a bad way. I left the mower and hurried the 60 yards to my truck and retrieved my 77/44 and headed back down the lane. When I got back the doe had crossed back across the road and was making noises that until then I had not heard a deer make. She would charge back into that thicket blowing and wheezing and at one point I saw her top half when she reared up on her back legs like she was fighting with her front hooves. She must have been at least somewhat successful because I got a glimpse of something long and blond with a long tail as she fought with it and as it passed the small openings in the multi- flower rose bushes on it's way out of Dodge. Then it came into a clearing maybe 60 yards away with it's head down and facing away from me. Since I was trying to follow it through the scope it took but a second for me to catch up to it and touch the trigger. I landed one a we bit too far back but it was good enough to hear all the yelping that comes only from a dog. It was headed north out of the timber and I could hear it still yelping as i made my way back to the truck. I hurried down the lane to the timber opening on the north side. By then the big blonde german shepherd was almost across the pasture and was headed into a standing corn field. He was 400 yards out and still moving faster than what this old codger was ever going to catch up to. He was on someone else's property now and though maybe Elmer could have gunned him down I know my limitations. I hate gut shooting anything and would have much rather told you that I made a clean kill but it didn't go that way. I drove around to the other side of the corn field and watched the 1/2 mile of hayfield that laid on the other side of the corn field and saw nothing come out. Mr Ashby came by on his tractor and stopped to see what I was doing setting there glassing his hay field. When he saw who it was and I told him what had transpired he asked me if I thought it would die and I said yes. He said good enough....it'll be dark in a half hour and we ain't following that ******* to his death in the dark.

I told this to a fella at work and he chastised me for shooting at something when I didn't know 100% for sure what I was shooting at. The facts are that what ever it was it was killing a fawn and it took a vigorous effort on part of the doe to run it off. I saw it well enough to know that it was long and blond and had a long tail. It's attack on the fawn was taking place 3/4 of a mile from where something playfully killed 6 lambs.

Now you guys be the jury. Was I wrong for shooting it when I didn't know for sure what it was? Was I wrong for not not getting a light and following it into the corn field?

Onliest thing I would have done different was SSS. Since you couldn't do the last two S's, the lid was kinda off. I give you a big well done.

Well I got to draw blood with the 77/44. Rumors were flying about the mountain lion southwest of town that had been spotted by several individuals. Well I'm guessing that one out of 100 spotted mountain lions are actually mountain lions. This one killed some sheep as in a half a dozen sheep. Didn't eat them just killed them as in for sport. That in and of itself doesn't sound mountain lion like to me. All of this spotting is in the area of a nature preserve that butts up to my hunting lease. So a mountain lion is not completely out of question.

The night before last I was at my lease mowing in the rain when a large doe shot across the lane 100 feet in front of me. Then she stopped in the open timber and turned around and looked back across the road. I shut the mower off to listen and the doe paid no attention to me. Then I heard the bawling of a little fawn in a bad way. I left the mower and hurried the 60 yards to my truck and retrieved my 77/44 and headed back down the lane. When I got back the doe had crossed back across the road and was making noises that until then I had not heard a deer make. She would charge back into that thicket blowing and wheezing and at one point I saw her top half when she reared up on her back legs like she was fighting with her front hooves. She must have been at least somewhat successful because I got a glimpse of something long and blond with a long tail as she fought with it and as it passed the small openings in the multi- flower rose bushes on it's way out of Dodge. Then it came into a clearing maybe 60 yards away with it's head down and facing away from me. Since I was trying to follow it through the scope it took but a second for me to catch up to it and touch the trigger. I landed one a we bit too far back but it was good enough to hear all the yelping that comes only from a dog. It was headed north out of the timber and I could hear it still yelping as i made my way back to the truck. I hurried down the lane to the timber opening on the north side. By then the big blonde german shepherd was almost across the pasture and was headed into a standing corn field. He was 400 yards out and still moving faster than what this old codger was ever going to catch up to. He was on someone else's property now and though maybe Elmer could have gunned him down I know my limitations. I hate gut shooting anything and would have much rather told you that I made a clean kill but it didn't go that way. I drove around to the other side of the corn field and watched the 1/2 mile of hayfield that laid on the other side of the corn field and saw nothing come out. Mr Ashby came by on his tractor and stopped to see what I was doing setting there glassing his hay field. When he saw who it was and I told him what had transpired he asked me if I thought it would die and I said yes. He said good enough....it'll be dark in a half hour and we ain't following that ******* to his death in the dark.

I told this to a fella at work and he chastised me for shooting at something when I didn't know 100% for sure what I was shooting at. The facts are that what ever it was it was killing a fawn and it took a vigorous effort on part of the doe to run it off. I saw it well enough to know that it was long and blond and had a long tail. It's attack on the fawn was taking place 3/4 of a mile from where something playfully killed 6 lambs.

Now you guys be the jury. Was I wrong for shooting it when I didn't know for sure what it was? Was I wrong for not not getting a light and following it into the corn field?
    Great story, EKC:

To my way of thinking, there is merit in dispatching an animal to end it's suffering, OR, to keep it from, perhaps, attacking someone else.

However, I am Much Less concerned about the suffering of a Predator, as opposed to a Prey animal, (Ungulate, for example), since, a predator causes suffering as a way of life.

Although, you "didn't know for sure, what it was", You knew what it was up to, and that about covers it, I'd say.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

I went back out tonight for a look see. There is a tall woven wire fence between the hay field where I last saw the feral dog and the corn field to which he was headed. I did not see him go over the fence. The grass in the fence
    Iine is almost as tall as the fence and said dog was or what was left of him was very dead just a short distance from where I last saw him. I'd say the coyotes and birds of prey had the last laugh on this undomesticated predator.

I went back out tonight for a look see. There is a tall woven wire fence between the hay field where I last saw the feral dog and the corn field to which he was headed. I did not see him go over the fence. The grass in the fence
    Iine is almost as tall as the fence and said dog was or what was left of him was very dead just a short distance from where I last saw him. I'd say the coyotes and birds of prey had the last laugh on this undomesticated predator.
    Death in the Long Grass of IO'wee.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

"Cute'.......

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Death in the Long Grass of IO'wee.

SOTN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast