Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Noatak R. Rod Weights

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3

    Default Noatak R. Rod Weights

    Hi all,
    I'll be floating the Noatak R for 3 weeks starting the last week of July. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on which weight fly rods to bring. I'll be bringing 2 or 3 (hopefully 3). Also - any line recommendations? We should see Grayling and Dollies and hopefully will get into the chum run at some point.
    Thanks a lot.
    KevinB

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    1,593

    Default

    Never fished it, but for the fish mentioned - grayling 3 or 4 weight. Dollies & chum - you could probably do both & be happy with a 7 weight. If you take 3 rods, I'd pack a 4, 6 & 8 weight. Pretty much covered everything. You can also adjust tippet weight, depending on fish sizes and fly sizes.

  3. #3
    Member DannerAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Whiskey River
    Posts
    1,161

    Default

    Good advice from Gary on rods. The noatak is known for big char and it is certainly possible to find sheefish in there.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    northern alaska
    Posts
    1,160

    Default

    3wt is good for Grayling, Char can get big, even bigger than the Chum... 8wt would cover the upper end of the scale. Large Pike in the lower River/sloughs.

  5. #5
    Member danattherock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5,608

    Default

    I've done remote 8-14 day floats on two of the lower Noatak tribs and another area river, and used to take a bunch of rods. Then the reality set in that big grayling were hitting my big dolly flies so I started just using one rod, with a back up of course. I suggest a good quality 7 or 8 wt. Best luck for me is type three sink tips swinging #2 weighted purple ESL from Alaska Fly Fishing Goods website. Under their silver salmon section. Egg sucking bunny leech. Purple with pink head. Got a 15 lb dolly on it and a dozen or so on three trips up that way in the 8-10 lb range.

    If you see a rock wall, canyon wall, fish it. If you see a deep hole, fish it. That's 90% of my success with jet fuel comprising the other 10%. It's literally fish in a barrel. Little skill involved catching, some landing of course. Lots of bears. We saw a dozen on a week trip on Kelly. Then had 14 day float on next trib up, Kug, and saw none. That's how it goes. But be mindful beating through the brush.

    The Noatak itself I have only fished a few times while living in Kotzebue. Big river and slow fishing when I went. I would get out on foot and fish and hike up all tribs if I were you. Where Kelly enters Noatak see if you can hike up north bank of Kelly assuming your going this far down. Avan Creek is a place near this confluence you can see named on usgs maps. You might want to spend the day hiking and fishing up it. good luck. Special place. Going back next Aug/Sept myself. Any questions, shoot me a PM.


    Dan
    NC
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Thanks for all the advice. I caught a lot of grayling up to 20" up high on the river. Chum salmon were in up as far as the Kugrak R. Unfortunately I didn't have as much time to fish as I wished for as we had many long paddling days and a few brutal ones with strong upstream winds. I did manage to catch quite a few chum especially as we got lower down the river. ESL's and polar shrimp worked well for them. The 8 wt. was the ticket for the chum. Only caught one Dolly the whole time. It's a long trip from the headwaters to Noatak Village - I wish I had 30 days instead of just 20. I'm planning on going back to do either the Kelly R (which was unrunnable due to low water a few weeks ago) or the Kugururak R. and hopefully get in a lot more fishing time. It was my first trip to AK but won't be my last.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •