Thread: Little Su Passable?

Default Little Su Passable?

Will be doing a father/daughter float in the near future and just wanted to see if someone can confirm that the river is passable from the highway down to Burma (no new logs, jams, sweepers, etc. that would require a portage). Also, any input on suggested minimum water level to make the trip more enjoyable with less dragging? It seems from my digging around online that 300cfs+ should be ok...?

Thanks for any feedback, I really appreciate it!

Scott

I will be doing this trip next weekend. Not sure if that is soon enough to help you, but I'd be happy to report on the conditions. I n the mean time, I am also curious to hear if anyone has info on current conditions.
    -David

Thanks David, I appreciate it. We were looking at going this weekend or into next week as well so hopefully someone chimes in. Thanks!

Postponed this trip due to the fire. Talked to someone at DNR, they said it would be safe, but decided to wait till next weekend and see if it's less smokey.
    -David

If you do decide to go...please remember that there is a burn ban in effect, no campfires, no charcoal, no fireworks. A portable propane grill is all that is allowed, and you should try to be careful with that as well.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Roger that, we've got the equipment and know how to get the job done with no need for fire or any other banned or foolish items.

I'd enjoy an update on your trip if you made it....water conditions, portages, fishing, etc.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

We ended up delaying our trip due to work. As soon as we go I'll post an update.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Fin Chaser View Post
    We ended up delaying our trip due to work. As soon as we go I'll post an update.

Scott
    Awesome, thanks!

Finally did this trip last weekend. Great trip! Put in at the Parks Hwy on Friday. Spent 3 days, 2 nights on the river. Took out at the Public Use Facility (old Burma Landing). A few sweepers here and there to watch for, but nothing that requires portaging. Water level seemed a little low, but if you follow the channel, no problem. Scraped bottom a handful of times, to be expected. Caught a king by noon on the first day and ate him for supper! seemed like the fish got scarcer the farther down we went.
    -David

Thanks a lot for this update - I for one really appreciate this kind of up to date information. Was curious if you took a canoe down that stretch or something larger? I've taken a canoe on the stretch above that, but not below. Just wondering what would be best. Thanks again for the info!

I agree with Munson, great info and update. Thanks!

I'd like to use a driftboat with a small outboard (for occasional downstream propulsion) on this stretch and wondering how feasible that would be.

Glad to hear it worked out David! Thanks for the update.

We were in an 18' aluminum canoe. I don't have any experience with driftboats. There were definitely some shallow sections. I don't know how much water a driftboat draws or how heavy it is to drag over the rocks.
    -David

Quote Originally Posted by Rtarandus View Post
    There were definitely some shallow sections. I don't know how much water a driftboat draws or how heavy it is to drag over the rocks.
    -David
    Driftboats have a pretty shallow draft when drifting and my aluminum boat is not all that heavy. The bottom of my boat is coated and slides over rocks/gravel fairly easily. Looking at the flow chart from last weekend, it was flowing at 350 cfs friday and sunday it was down to about 300 cfs. A little more water and I think my driftboat would float through with minimal dragging although I'd want to bring a come-a-long and chainsaw just in case.

Thanks again for the updates!

Was up that way yesterday and it's pretty skinny. Spread out the weigh if you can. @ 7+ miles before the take out there were stretches w/ < 6" of water. Have not seen much above that for a while.