Thread: Tourist Road Hazards

Default Tourist Road Hazards

Seems it happens a few times every summer. Crest a hill, or come around a corner and tourists are parked on both sides of the road, taking pics of a moose. They aren't even clear of the road. Maybe a lane between them, and here I come with a fully loaded class 8 commercial vehicle.
    I lay on the train horn. Animals and people scatter. At least momma moose and her babies are out of sight in the woods when I make my next round.
    Please, tourists. At least get your 'road barn' all the way off the road if you feel the need to stop on a blind corner to take a photo of a moose. It's not like it will be the last one you'll ever see. Well, it might be if you don't clear the highway.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Unfortunately, residents do the same
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Unfortunately, residents do the same
    Especially during hunting season...however...they usually aren't going to be shooting with a camera.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Especially during hunting season...however...they usually aren't going to be shooting with a camera.
    Rounding a corner on the Sterling a few years ago. Motorhomes stopped on both sides of the highway. I'm loaded in the KW. Just enough room to go between. Hoping nobody is coming the other way, cause there isn't time to stop. Some tall, lanky dude is taking steps backwards into the road in front of me, trying to get a pic of the momma moose and her calves. He has a telephoto lens about a foot long, and can't get them all in the view finder. I am slowing, but won't be able to stop. As I pass him by just a couple of feet, I lay on the train horn. Last I saw in the mirror, was him about 2 feet higher in the air, and the camera going end over end above his head.

Well, at least the moose were smart enough to stay out of the roadway.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    I used to drive out to Swanson River Oilfield and back every day for work. I dreaded moose season. Almost daily I'd round a corner and either a pickup or motor home parked in the middle of the road with the doors open. No way around it. Getting down to a dead stop was always interesting! Of course there is nobody around the abandoned rig as they are off chasing a moose. Lay on the horn long enough and eventually one of them takes the hint and comes back out to the road to move their rig. Man I don't miss that run.

I was once headed from Kasilof to work at the VECO yard in north Kenai. When I hit the S curves on K-beach there was a 1 ton truck Texas plates with a huge camper in the back all 4 doors open in my lane.
    They hadn't moved over an inch. They were photographing a Caribou in the ravine there.
    Fortunately there was no oncoming traffic or it would have ended badly for somebody quite likely me.
    There was a 30' drop into that ravine so if there had been oncoming traffic it would have been real bad. I would have had 3 choices. Rear end the parked 1 ton truck with my 3/4 ton Chevy going 55 mph,hit oncoming traffic head on, or dump my truck into the ravine.
    I so wanted to go back there and start giving them a piece of my mind but I was headed to work and didn't really want to get to involved as I was really pissed off.
    Bridge access has been bad lately with the caribou there. It's a common bad spot whenever the caribou are there.
    Not only do people not fully pull over but they stop suddenly and/or cross the road suddenly to get their pics.
    If they would stop normally and pull off the road a safe distance it would certainly help.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Was heading out of Soldotna on the Spur towards Kenai. There were a few caribou in the field by Sport Lake Rd. I had just got my loaded International up to 55 when a tour bus stops in the oncoming lane. Just before I get to the bus, the driver (a metrosexual looking dude) bails out and runs in front of my truck holding his hand up for me to stop. I couldn't have stopped even if I had been empty. The gaggle of old tourist women following him were just getting in front of the bus when I went by. Metro dude jumped out of my way. He nearly killed a pile of old women just so they could get a look at a few caribou without the window glass being in their vision. Don't know why they couldn't have just enjoyed the view from behind the bus windows. Oh, and the traffic that nearly rear ended the bus was none too happy either.

Alaska is not the only place that happens! Drive the Alcan and this will happen several times a day with all of the tourist coming this direction! Just another reason to stay on top of your driving.

But the alcan and the valley roads are so much wider than ours on the peninsula. You stand a chance of avoiding hitting them other places. If there were shoulders on our highways here I'd like to think the **** tourists would park on them rather than in the traffic lanes!