Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rude Kenai River Guide

Default Rude Kenai River Guide

Well my son and I along with a friend hit the upper Kenai on opening day. Our friend had just got on to a nice Rainbow and I netted it for him. We were in the process of releasing the fish, searching for the hemostats that I had misplaced. That is when we hear this yelling and cursing "get the fish in the water, get the fish in the G*****m water". It was a guide doing the yelling and cursing. I reacted to his tantrum, badly. we had a few words and saluted each other as he went by.

For that I apologize as the young man was correct the fish should have remain in the water. However, he was 100% wrong on how he went about pointing out the error I made. A little diplomacy goes a long way as yelling and curing is not only rude and unprofessional it is also a good way to get your plow cleaned.

So, to all the river guides and private anglers let's practice some river etiquette and enjoy the sports.

Thank you.

Yup. They are everywhere! There's nothing wrong with taking a nice bow out of the water for a pic and then a quick release. Don't let the turds ruin your day! Fish on!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSWA View Post
    ...There's nothing wrong with taking a nice bow out of the water for a pic and then a quick release...
    Actually, it is illegal.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Actually, it is illegal.

Mike

I've scoured the regs and could not find where it is illegal to remove Kenai rainbow trout from the water to take a picture. Anchor, Deep, Ninilchik, and Kasilof all have that rule about rainbow/steelhead (along with no retention) but I can't find anything about the Kenai. Could you please provide a link or screenshot of that regulation for everybody to see if you can find it. Lots of law breaking going if that's the case.

It is not illegal on the Kenai River to remove a rainbow for a photo before releasing it.

There have been LOTS of misquoted regulations on this site. Some are even coming from the webmaster. Try to make sure you check before spreading information that may not be correct. The regs are confusing enough without the mis-information.

Check out most guides websites. A lot of pics of rainbows out of the water, most likely on the kenai
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

There is no problem removing a fish for a quick pic on the Kenai.
    It is not illegal and there is nothing in the regs saying it is.
    However there are many people who keep the fish out of the water too long and mis-handle the fish.
    There are guides as well as sport fishermen that get annoyed seeing it happen over and over again.
    Some seem to get really bent out of shape like this fella others like myself try to educate those that are mis-handling fish.
    A lot of the time people are unaware they are doing anything wrong and are appreciative of the advice but some people don't give a tinkers **** and tell you toe eff off.

When I handle my fish I leave them in the water until the moment I'm ready for a picture.

Always impressive to the customer when their guide has a temper tantrum.

I've done lots of catch and release on SE steelhead, dollies, cutts, and the salmons. We never use a net. We use a landing hand and tail them. All nets do damage to a fish that is to be released. Most professional guides know this, many sports do not. There's nothing wrong with not knowing something, and it's pretty easy for a guide to act professionally and make a polite suggestion. Some sports get offended (usually local know-it-all's), but most are appreciative. Sorry you met with a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    There is no problem removing a fish for a quick pic on the Kenai.
    It is not illegal and there is nothing in the regs saying it is.
    However there are many people who keep the fish out of the water too long and mis-handle the fish.
    There are guides as well as sport fishermen that get annoyed seeing it happen over and over again.
    Some seem to get really bent out of shape like this fella others like myself try to educate those that are mis-handling fish.
    A lot of the time people are unaware they are doing anything wrong and are appreciative of the advice but some people don't give a tinkers **** and tell you toe eff off.

When I handle my fish I leave them in the water until the moment I'm ready for a picture.
    You are wrong about this fella, as I stated I was wrong and I do not mind that I was corrected. It was the way the young man reacted. I will not be talked down to by anyone for making a simple mistake. It is all about manners.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

From my experience with a bunch of those guys, saying "the rude Kenai River guide", is much like saying "the very wet water", or "the chilly glacier ice"...it's redundant at best. A lot (most?) of those guys think they own the river...just ask 'em, they'll tell ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan907 View Post
    Well my son and I along with a friend hit the upper Kenai on opening day. Our friend had just got on to a nice Rainbow and I netted it for him. We were in the process of releasing the fish, searching for the hemostats that I had misplaced. That is when we hear this yelling and cursing "get the fish in the water, get the fish in the G*****m water". It was a guide doing the yelling and cursing. I reacted to his tantrum, badly. we had a few words and saluted each other as he went by.

For that I apologize as the young man was correct the fish should have remain in the water. However, he was 100% wrong on how he went about pointing out the error I made. A little diplomacy goes a long way as yelling and curing is not only rude and unprofessional it is also a good way to get your plow cleaned.

So, to all the river guides and private anglers let's practice some river etiquette and enjoy the sports.

Thank you.
    Dan907 pm sent.

In my limited experience, it has appeared to me that the guides on the Kenai are either too stressed with the amount of traffic or feel that they need to fill quotas and I don't like stress when I fish. I had one bark at me for simply reeling in my fly line to help my wife land a fish. I was told to "keep your line in the water". I quickly reminded the guide that I was paying for the trip and if I wanted to enjoy watching my wife land a fish and take pictures of her doing so (and helping release it)- then it was absolutely my danged well right to do so. The answer was- "Well you aren't catching fish if your line isn't in the water"...really? I didn't know that! I like to help my wife and to make sure she is having a good time- if it costs me a few fish then so be it. Beautiful river with magnificent fish, but I prefer the creeks north of there...
    Sorry you had a bad experience. Keep the fish in the water and handle carefully until ready to snap a picture- make it quick and release them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    From my experience with a bunch of those guys, saying "the rude Kenai River guide", is much like saying "the very wet water", or "the chilly glacier ice"...it's redundant at best. A lot (most?) of those guys think they own the river...just ask 'em, they'll tell ya!
    Yes that, I've yet to meet a nice one, a few that were polite, but just enough to not look like an ass in front of their clients.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Yes that, I've yet to meet a nice one, a few that were polite, but just enough to not look like an ass in front of their clients.
    I've known a few nice ones over the years. Seems the ones I thought were decent didn't stay in the business all that long. One exception to that is Greg Brush. He is as professional and decent as they come.
    I remember a time with a halibut charter out of Homer where the captain had a 'come to Jesus' moment where he apologized to us, his clients, and mentioned that he had forgotten that he was working for us. We still fish with him, although we got off to a rocky start. We bait our own hooks, shoot our own fish, and if we want to throw a 50 pounder back, then by golly, he throws it back rather than gaffing it. That's how it all started. He was boating fish we didn't want to keep. Trying to limit us out. We wanted to catch big ones.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Default Rude Kenai River Guide

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I've known a few nice ones over the years. Seems the ones I thought were decent didn't stay in the business all that long. One exception to that is Greg Brush. He is as professional and decent as they come.
    I remember a time with a halibut charter out of Homer where the captain had a 'come to Jesus' moment where he apologized to us, his clients, and mentioned that he had forgotten that he was working for us. We still fish with him, although we got off to a rocky start. We bait our own hooks, shoot our own fish, and if we want to throw a 50 pounder back, then by golly, he throws it back rather than gaffing it. That's how it all started. He was boating fish we didn't want to keep. Trying to limit us out. We wanted to catch big ones.
    That's awesome, most good guides you never hear about because they stay booked up word of mouth!

Truth be told I think guides are mostly the same no matter where you go, they mostly were a pain to the locals in Idaho too, with a few good ones mixed in (usually locals themselves, just like the good ones here!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was a legal fish to kill, I would have beat it on the head in front of him...

Quote Originally Posted by Bambistew View Post
    If it was a legal fish to kill, I would have beat it on the head in front of him...
    Ha ha ha, good idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ptarmigan View Post
    I've scoured the regs and could not find where it is illegal to remove Kenai rainbow trout from the water to take a picture. Anchor, Deep, Ninilchik, and Kasilof all have that rule about rainbow/steelhead (along with no retention) but I can't find anything about the Kenai. Could you please provide a link or screenshot of that regulation for everybody to see if you can find it. Lots of law breaking going if that's the case.
    You might be correct. At your urging, I took a look through the local regulations and couldn't find it either. Hmmm. Somewhere along the way I picked up the notion that it was illegal to remove a fish from the water, if you were intending to release it. Perhaps it was illegal at one point, but the regs have changed... I don't know and I don't have time to excavate it right now (bigger fish to fry, so to speak). There is a section in the Southcentral regulations (page 75) that encourages folks to "avoid removing the fish from the water", however it's in a tips section that describes best practices on releasing fish. So, ptarmigan, put that machete away! I'm not your enemy!

As to the other poster who suggested that I (apparently frequently) misquote the regs... it would be more productive (and more conducive to a civil discourse) if that could be pointed out as it occurs. If I'm in error, I need to know about that. Some might assume that because I own this site, that everything I say should be perfect. Well, it's not, nor am I. The regulations are very important to me, however I can and do make mistakes. By all means, let me know, so I can correct my thinking in those cases. Much appreciated! Especially if it is done in the same manner in which you would like your mistakes pointed out. Agreed?

As a side note, does anyone question the wisdom of leaving a fish in the water if you are intending to release it? Try holding your breath for the entire time the fish is out of water if you want to know how it might affect the fish. Granted, fish might be able to extract oxygen from the air for a while (like blackfish can), but you get the idea. At any rate, even if it's legal, I don't generally favor the practice. A quick lift up for a photo is one thing, but too often it goes way beyond that. And don't even get me started on de-sliming fish through excessive handling, abrasive nets, etc.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Well, at least you had a net, and if it was nice rubber one, even better. Fish out of water never helps but at least in a net it's not thrashing around on the gravel like many of the uninitiated, unpracticed, and uncaring anglers out there.

For most, landing a lively fish barehanded turns into a PETA nightmare or a YouTube fail video depending on your sensitivities. I do it often, but they never hit the beach, and I also don't expect to be getting any pics unless the fish is extremely cooperative. And I've got more fishhandling time put in than most due to my job.

Pretty lame that the guy would be that animated to a complete stranger.....likely thought he was looking cool in front of his guests for his ardent defense of the might rainbow trout.....sad thing is it's not impossible that some of clients may have thought it appropriate....though I'd hope not.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast